20k to spend

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
amo
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Paris/France
Contact:

Post by amo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:19 am

forge wrote:another vote for the decent chair - I am actually starting to have problems with my arms etc because of bad ergonomics - it is VERY important

dont worry about radeo, he's a bit of a troll who likes dumping shit on people...
I bet !

Image
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

radeon
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Post by radeon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:34 am

Ropey piunetr you only look at list pricing to the HD system. You also dont put in a 96 IO to your price. If you looking to other places you can find an hd1 system for 5k.

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:39 am

amo wrote:
forge wrote:another vote for the decent chair - I am actually starting to have problems with my arms etc because of bad ergonomics - it is VERY important

dont worry about radeo, he's a bit of a troll who likes dumping shit on people...
I bet !

Image

8O 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ARRRGGGGHHHH! The stalker is back!

that must mean I've still got that on line!

wow..that's a while ago now, in England, been in Australia 1 year next week!

kenn michael
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:03 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by kenn michael » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:51 am

radeon wrote:Ropey piunetr you only look at list pricing to the HD system. You also dont put in a 96 IO to your price. If you looking to other places you can find an hd1 system for 5k.
Please let me know where I can get an HD1 for 5K! That would be just what I'm looking for.

Also, a 96 IO sounds WAY worse than an Apogee Rosetta, so if Ropey was going to spend the money to get an HD system, he'd HAVE to get at least 192, otherwise the whole sound quality issue is moot.

.... cause the Apogees sound better than the 192s ...

radeon
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Post by radeon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:06 am

RopeyPunter wrote:

apogee rosetta sounds better than the protools interface. apogee rosetta has better dithering algorhtims for taking a 192k song and turning it into 44.1 for cd. An apogee rosetta and cubase (for example) is much cheaper than any protools hd system I can find, plus with the spare money I can buy uad1 card and tc powercore card, and get some excellent plugins, and also buy a surround genelec setup , a high-quality preamp, and more...

with the same money I can get a basic protools hd1 setup, without the cpu.

so not only is it financially more viable, but far from sacrificing sound quality - I am actually gaining sound quality. I suggest you do some research on apogee and the rosetta 800 before telling me this is a hoax and a protools interface sounds better.

anyways, please post some links to where I, or anyone else, can get a 'cheap' protools setup. Cos on the digidesign website its marked as 12,000 dollars

If I could get protools, I definately would! for many reasons....its an industry standard (but it seems nuendo is better for making sound for film or games - which is what I'm interested in) , and there are some plugins made just for it that sound amazing, I've read. Also, a course I intend to join after college teaches in protools so it would be great to have a headstart.

and why are you so dead against getting a decent chair? are you crazy or something? I'm not getting a chair over protools, a chair aint gonna take too much of a sizeable chunk out of the budget. You talk about 'serious pros' and what their opinion 'must be' ....but I believe a serious pro would agree a proper chair is definately worthwhile

i think you are the one who isnt serious, you must have problems with maths or something
apogee rosetta sounds better than the protools interface. apogee rosetta has better dithering algorhtims for taking a 192k song and turning it into 44.1 for cd

So you are to convert inside the audio Interface are you :roll: Apogees interfaces are not better than Digi 192. No testings to date can say the digi 192 is bad interface but many wanted to say this but have no feet for the words.

so not only is it financially more viable, but far from sacrificing sound quality - I am actually gaining sound quality. I suggest you do some research on apogee and the rosetta 800 before telling me this is a hoax and a protools interface sounds better.[/quote


You are not going to gain audio quality. Shootouts testings between Apogiee and digi 192 never come to conclusive idea. It is matters of tatse not sound quality. I do much reserachings ropey punter I have HD system. I have using Apogiee conversions before but i sell my ad8000 to buy other gears. I did not find that convertors better than the 192 and not even better than the 96 IO
and why are you so dead against getting a decent chair? are you crazy or something? I'm not getting a chair over protools, a chair aint gonna take too much of a sizeable chunk out of the budget. You talk about 'serious pros' and what their opinion 'must be' ....but I believe a serious pro would agree a proper chair is definately worthwhile
:lol: :lol: Only on this place would a chair be suggesting!. It is not so bad to suggest but I say top tell you tyhat a chair was high on the ideas early in the thread???. Serious peoples would not be suggesting a chair early on it is the thing to buy on your own time not to get advice on a forums :roll: and Nobodies has told you about the good outbaord boxes. Not to mean bad to others but how can user here who have laptop and chair tell you what to buy for pristine audio.

You say Nuendo is better than protools for film and games music :roll: Nuendo is good but it is not better or bad than protools both have advantges but pro tools bigger advante is the dsp chips and is industry standard. Pro tool is the most used softwares in film
apogee rosetta has better dithering algorhtims for taking a 192k song and turning it into 44.1 for cd
You mean to say Apogee has better clock not Dither. It is the clock and the crystal inside the interface that makeing difference to audio quality the dither is using when bounce to make sixteen bit audio for cd. You not be recording at 192. Its no matter what system you buyed recording at 192khz is big use of resource. You would need multio scsi drives and very fast computer'. If not scsi you would having to get WD Raptor Sata 10,000rpm drive and then you mayb eonly get 10 tracks of audio. If to record at 192 you do neeeding pro tools and you would be needting HD4 minimum. Record at 24 44.1. So you say you going to record at 192 so again I take you not serious.

My English make me not explain things proper. advice you get here is waste of time these peopels dont know equipment and this is the same as you. I can tell with your writing words.
In one month you can prove me wrong and I apologise for not taking your words seriois but I know that my mind is right. You wanting to look cool but I am certains you wont buyed a new system because you dont know the things you need to know and you sounding like teen boy who has idea to be cool with studio. : I still believings you are not serious at all but we can see in one month when you having your new setups

radeon
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Post by radeon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:13 am

forge wrote:another vote for the decent chair - I am actually starting to have problems with my arms etc because of bad ergonomics - it is VERY important

dont worry about radeo, he's a bit of a troll who likes dumping shit on people...
you are the troll you speaking rubbish all over this topic you dont know nothinginks about recording. I think you sit with one laptop on a chair like in the picture so you haveing no experience. you are big supporter of ropeypunter who is clear to me he if full of the shit. I cannot speak writing good english but so I can smell the bullshiter easy. I remind you of this in one month and we see who is the troll. I leave you to your laptoop and chair :lol:

forge
Posts: 17422
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:47 am
Location: Queensland, AU
Contact:

Post by forge » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:39 am

radeon wrote:
forge wrote:another vote for the decent chair - I am actually starting to have problems with my arms etc because of bad ergonomics - it is VERY important

dont worry about radeo, he's a bit of a troll who likes dumping shit on people...
you are the troll you speaking rubbish all over this topic you dont know nothinginks about recording. I think you sit with one laptop on a chair like in the picture so you haveing no experience. you are big supporter of ropeypunter who is clear to me he if full of the shit. I cannot speak writing good english but so I can smell the bullshiter easy. I remind you of this in one month and we see who is the troll. I leave you to your laptoop and chair :lol:
yes because we all know you cant make good music with only a laptop and a chair!

Please, show us some of your music radeon?

I'm quite keen to hear what it is those of us who aren't you are missing out on

Well, perhaps I do know nothinginks about recording. But given this is the Ableton Live forum, it's not a total surprise to find people who know nothinginks about recording.

this is a software primarily used by people who actually want to make music, not jaded, miserable old bastards who spend their days telling other people they are not serious because they dont own pro-tools and who probably only ever get to record other people being creative in their serious pro-too;s studios.

Okay, so you are SERIOUS!

Lookout people, this guy's SERIOUS! Make sure you only discuss SERIOUS things with him or he'll expose you for the bullshitter you are!

He asked what people would buy with 20k and we told him, a considerable percentage said weed, some said beer, I said weed, beer and software, you decided to start taking issue with who was serious or not.

So say your bit and then fuck off radeon because you're not brightening anyones day with your miserable gloating.

rasputin
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:16 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA
Contact:

What's the studio for?

Post by rasputin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:21 pm

I didn't see where anyone pointed out that what you buy depends on what you're trying to do. Maybe I missed it since it's sort of a long thread.

If you're just building it to have a great space to do you tunes...rock on.

If you're trying to get into the music business, then you need to spend it all on promotion (retain an agent, a music biz lawyer, drugs and hookers for A&R people, etc.)

My 1/50th of an semitone.

r.

forgie
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:10 am

Post by forgie » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:32 pm

I'd say: don't buy protools. Buy a nice chair. Buy an apogee. And then buy me a life insurance policy, because pretty soon radeon is going to have me assasinated for committing "bullshit that constitutes a war crime against all that is correct and acceptable to his holiness, radeon". When you cash in my life insurance policy (take it out for 20k) you will have enough cash to get a PT HD system as well. Then you can compare the two systems, and have a battle to the death with radeon. I'd pay to see that..... if only I hadn't been assassinated two weeks previous.....

Seriously, buy a comfortable chair. Back pain hurts. Ergonomics is very important. Also don't underestimate the value of 2-3 nice LCD monitors for you computer (PC, Mac, whatever you choose - personally I'd go a quad G5, but I'm a mac guy and would use it for stuff other then music - YMMV).

radeon
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Re: What's the studio for?

Post by radeon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:17 pm

rasputin wrote:I didn't see where anyone pointed out that what you buy depends on what you're trying to do. Maybe I missed it since it's sort of a long thread.
r.
You dont miss any things forger only make up words I not saying :roll:

radeon
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:14 pm

Post by radeon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:20 pm

Forge to take advising from you would be bad mistake you have no idea what making good recording because you do sit there with on little laptop and think you can advise a peopels with budget of 20k when all you have and know is a laptop. You are big joke to tell the truth.
I will prove my case to YOU in one month time when mr ropeypunter make a vanish act when I ask hom to show photos of his new 20k setup. I bet you soooo much money he is full of nothininks! :wink:

djadonis206
Posts: 6490
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:39 pm

I give mad props to the most minimal set-up that creates the largest, funkiest sound

I checked out AlexisForge and that's props

Seriously there's something to be said about using just a computer and maybe a synth and writting jams

I have a computer (duh!) but nothing else except a technic 1200 hooked up to the good 'ole Mbox and I'm pretty content

granted I want a Nord (any version from 1 to 1000) but that's just a matter of time

when you play your music for people and they say what did you use I say my computer...and I get a fuzzy feeling on the inside like I'm special


:)




ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

hoffman2k
Posts: 14718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:52 pm

radeon wrote: I bet you soooo much money he is full of nothininks! :wink:
Yeah, just like another fella in this thread :wink:

amo
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Paris/France
Contact:

Post by amo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:29 pm

Hey Forge, I see my twoyears old picture digging is bringing interesting matters on the thread :D

amo - one more guy doing music with pffff... just a laptop (BTW I could compose and produce a whole expressionistic theatre show with a single computer back in 2000... PIII 800 Mhz :lol: )
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Post by HD1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:21 pm

radeon, of course I didnt post the price of the protools 96k because I want a 192 rosetta interface. So that is my benchmark for comparison. You made alot of moot points about hard drive rpm as if I was not aware of such issues. You also assume I want to record a plethora of tracks simultaniously at 192....where-as anyone with half a brain could tell you to jam at 48, and re-record at 192 for the final mix IF resources became a problem. I repeat that sound quality is most important. Not recording huge amounts of tracks simultaniously. You're just an angry little bastard, full of hot air. Also, what you said about the rosetta is true. And I knew it already, and anyone who does a google on a rosetta review will be privvy to the same information. Its no big secret. I have a feeling you knew exactly what I meant, but since you are only concerned with representing yourself as some kind of 'pro' you insist on belittling me, and others with irrelevant information...as if we didnt know.

The fact of the matter -IS- the apogee rosetta 800 -DOES- sound better than the protools 192. And to clarify, that does -NOT- mean the protools 192 sounds -BAD- ....you troglodite.

at any rate, post some links ....ANY link for a protools hd1 system with a 192 interface. at 5k.

not interested in 96k. not interested in recording loads of tracks simultaniously at 192. so post some links before you piss on people.

i'll apologise if you produce that link. and not a second-hand model.

Post Reply