Counting in, metronome - click

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Henry Robinett

Counting in, metronome - click

Post by Henry Robinett » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:40 am

I assume I'm making life way too difficult. Advise please . . .

I'm making snippets of click track, one - two bars segments in the original DP file and exporting them to Live. Then I turn them into clips. This is so the drummer can count the tune in and have an on going click track. I have the outputs for his ears only. Can I do the same with the metronome in Live? I mean is this DUH?? Can I set the metronome up, perhaps using different sounds than the standard metronome sound in Live, and send this signal top a different output rather than the House 1/2. And can I set it up as 2, 4 or 6 bars ahead of the point where the song starts? Otherwise I'll set up the count cclicks and set the FOLLOW ACTIONS accordingly.

OK. I see where I can send the cue mix to outputs 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 whatever. How can I set up to start the tune after X bars of count?
All the best,

Henry Robinett
Mac Pro 7,1 16 Core 160GB, MP 5,1/32 GB
Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6) ULN-2
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:45 am

Nobody knows? So you can't set a start point for the metronome, like a 2 bar count off?
All the best,

Henry Robinett
DP 10, Logic, PT,Live 10, Falcon, VEP, Superior Drummer, Kontakt5, UAD-2 Solo&Duo, Millennia HV3D, Lot's 'o mics . . .

dennisw76

Post by dennisw76 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:34 pm

take a look to options / diverse

there you go! 8)

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:52 pm

Hm. OK. Options. Is it also in Live 4.1? I don't see Diverse under the Options menu. I haven't yet found Options in refernce manual. But I need to look closer. Between the Super Bowl and ordering pizza.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:25 am

Diverse must be in Live 5. I see no reference for it.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

udp

Post by udp » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:50 am

No metronome count in in Live4, it came along in Live 5.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

gomi

Re: Counting in, metronome - click

Post by gomi » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:16 pm

Henry Robinett wrote:I assume I'm making life way too difficult. Advise please . . .

I'm making snippets of click track, one - two bars segments in the original DP file and exporting them to Live. Then I turn them into clips. This is so the drummer can count the tune in and have an on going click track. I have the outputs for his ears only. Can I do the same with the metronome in Live? I mean is this DUH?? Can I set the metronome up, perhaps using different sounds than the standard metronome sound in Live, and send this signal top a different output rather than the House 1/2. And can I set it up as 2, 4 or 6 bars ahead of the point where the song starts? Otherwise I'll set up the count cclicks and set the FOLLOW ACTIONS accordingly.

OK. I see where I can send the cue mix to outputs 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 whatever. How can I set up to start the tune after X bars of count?
you can't set the metronome to a different sound (afaik) but you can
set the cue to whatever out put you want, this is where the metronome
goes. we do the same in my band. for count ins and such i add
an extra scene at the beginning of the song.

also we don't like the click so we usually make a loop for the drummer to hear, and put it on the first scene of a song in a track and then
remove the stop buttons from the rest of the slots, so it just goes for the whole song.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:07 am

i bet you can change the metronome sound. i'm almost positive that there's a file called metronome.wav somewhere in the program folders

markthedoc

Post by markthedoc » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:29 am

longjohns wrote:i bet you can change the metronome sound. i'm almost positive that there's a file called metronome.wav somewhere in the program folders
Yeah, there is in this folder...

C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 5.0.2\Resources\Misc

I'm assuming you'd just replace the files (there's 2) for the new noises you wanna use, but keep the file name the same.