saturday night live/prince

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:47 am

Prince is back.

My strat is shiny again.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:51 am

nah man. hes never been away.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:04 am

awesome. hendrix? probably, thin lizzy? maybe, prince definately.

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:25 pm

well...I reckon it has quite a hendrix feel to it...
makes me think of all along the watchtower.
yep
I am right
hendrix could have made this...
:D

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:54 pm

F*cking awesome.

IMO, it goes to show there is still true talent, musicianship, and passion out there. It's not all computer-generated "mmph mmph mmph mmph...", regurgitated samples, or manufactured marketing pop pap.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:22 pm

hambone1 wrote:F*cking awesome.

IMO, it goes to show there is still true talent, musicianship, and passion out there. It's not all computer-generated "mmph mmph mmph mmph...", regurgitated samples, or manufactured marketing pop pap.
I totally agree. However, my girlfriend introduced me to his track "Black Sweat" this weekend, and it is just about the the most soft-synth sounding, LP7, ultrabeat laden track ever.

I too was feeling the Hendrix vibe. A lot of people were comparing the two, in regards to talent, 20 years ago. I can only wonder what 20 years would do to improve one's abilities.

Those back-up singers were HOT!

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:25 pm

hambone1 wrote:F*cking awesome.
Amen.

And regarding the backup singers...that should be on the list of gear of every respectable artist :lol:
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:19 am

Whats a bit odd is the hendrix references......oh, they are "spot on", but that was being said during purple rain as well. That solo thing at the end of "let's go crazy) BTw, the whammy thing is new, it's really a trip to see prince using a floyd rose/kahler/whatever it is and going wham-o-phat!

Ya know, prince would take his bands to local clubs after the show and "sit in" (take over more like it) he'd never want to stop......it's crazy. I couldn't physically keep up........

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:37 am

8O WOW 8O

Prince is my biggest inspiration for sure. Seeing him live puts any doubt in my mind that he is THE performer to rest. I walk away from his shows just numb from just being shown what a person who was born to be a musician and performer looks like.

If anyone has high quality of this performance I would LOVE to see it.

Someday I'll make it to Paisley park for one of his partys.

Hearing CHarlie Murphy's recollection of how Prince kicked Eddy and his ass in basketball was priceless. Anyone want pancakes?
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:55 am

Download link for those who want the full thing.

fwiw, I watched it (the small tv version previously posted in thread), and yeah, I guess it was a pretty good performance, but I definitely wasn't "blown away". It was decent, but it didn't really speak to me, I suppose.

radeon

Post by radeon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:05 am

hambone1 wrote:computer-generated "mmph mmph mmph mmph...",
:P I finding this funny I imagining what instrument hambone repeating. it looking like somone being kidnapped :lol:

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:10 am

this makes me think about FX and guitar.

What sort of interesting FX are people using on guitar, via live? I find granular synthesis to be really pretty.. there are so many options and colours, but I very rarely see stuff.

tempo based stuff would be cool too.

any body doing interesting sounds on guitar using virtual effects?