Little help please.....

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
fire228

Little help please.....

Post by fire228 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:26 am

ok, I might have missed this on here, but I really need to know how to hook a laptop with Ableton to a mixer for DJing.

Any diagrams, videos, instructions??

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop, Pioneer DJM 500 Mixer, M-Audio 02 Keyboard & BCR-2000 Controller.

Help Please!
:?:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:54 am

In order to DJ with Live, you need two seperate (preferably stereo) outputs, although two mono outputs will also work. So your sound card needs low latency drivers. Sounds like you don't have a sound card other than the native Viao card, so go to www.asio4all.com and download the driver for the Viao. Then set up Live so that you are using the Crossfader underneath the master fader and set up tracks as either A or B so you can crossfade between tracks.

Connect your output from the Viao to the mixer, but seperate the left and right channels into seperate mixer channels, so you can use one channel to monitor and cue, and use the other channel to play out.

This is, however, fairly ghetto, and given that you've spent money on a BCR and a laptop and a mixer, the least you can do is buy yourself a decent sound card. Emu, Presonus, and Maudio all make decent USB or Firewire cards, and Echo makes a good PCMCIA card, all of which can be had around $300. Then you have multple outputs to cue and play and mix and match, such that you won't even need yout mixer other than to pump out the main bus from Live.

If you have any questions, please read the manual first. We're here to help, but you'll need to do a bit of work too. :) Help us help you.

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:57 am

well...you need an audio interface, preferably with at least two stereo outputs. for example, you could treat one output as the left deck, and the other output as the right deck...and connect them to your mixer as such.

then in live, you dictate to which output each audio or midi tracks sends its sound......and you can then use your mixer to mix as you would with decks......only with live you can assign warp markers and other kinds of tricks so that you dont have to beat match, just concentrate on musicality

fire228

Post by fire228 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:01 am

Thanks alot, Well I guess I need a soundcard now :?
Damn, I thought I was done spending money, lol....