rack v. keyboard synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:06 am

Yep I'm pretty much tempted too save this year for a Yamaha Motif ES rack ( with VL & AN boards ) to use with LIVE instead of software.
I get a decent sound set with 3 main FX busses / 1 master FX buss / 8 insert fx on the MotifES Rack and it can have USB midi connection to the PC.
Then just record all the parts into Live.
Also looking at Akai's new Midi Wind Instrument as a future controller / musical device also for use when composing and recording tunes.
Though the Korg MicroX is looking like a great option if the price is rigth especially with the extra middle eastern instrument voices added.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:27 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
donnydonny wrote:however, nord's keyboard synths aren't that much more expensive than the rack versions and, to me, would be worth the extra few bucks. some people though just don't like keyboards... and that's perfectly fine too.

The wood and stone controllers are classic studio bling.

A friend has one, it's a blast to program. Tons of LEDs, it's all about setting ranges of knobs to the wood or stone controller, which is REALLY easy, soooo expressive and a great light show too. I just never practice how to save stuff before I go off the deep end. :lol:

or just keep your eye on the used gear boards, be patient and buy stuff used, if you do it right you can sell it for the same or almost the same price that you bought it for. It's like a lease, but you break even.

That's what I'm talkin about. You lay your left hand right there next to those wooden and stone beauties and let the expression take over. Assigning the knobs to alter other syths and vst parameters is a synch. I'd love the continuous controller feature that the Nord Lead 3 has but it just doesn't sound the same.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

divonic

Post by divonic » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:37 pm

You can only play one synth at a time, o.k. maybe two; one with each hand. unless you have some extra arms or something.

I'm definitally in the rack camp here. rack synths are cleaner, well less wire mess that is obvious; course you should see behind my racks (wow that sounds kinda dirty) racks generally have less hands on control but then again if you have 5 multi-timbral synths you're gonna have tons of synth options your not gonna have much hands on control anyway if you wanna get them all up and runnning at the same time. racks are also generally cheaper and take up less space.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:23 am

I just put it out there I'm looking for a Nord or a Virus and CL - already got 2 responses

Both racks - the nord for like $550 so that aint so bad - but my studio partner needs keys - the trigger finger just aint cutting it

I have no clue of how to play a piano so it doesn't matter to me - funny I can program 'em but I still have to look at a chart to see where C is on the keyboard (I'm kidding but you get what I mean)

So, I might pick up the rack, sell the TF and get a keyboard controller - I'm thinking either a KorgKontrol or even a M-audio o2 - assign all the knobs to the kontrols on the rack synth

I don't know - I just know I want to make weird fx and hard core leads

what about Zeta+ and Vanguard as soft synths - I keep reading good things about them?

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

HD1

Post by HD1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:21 am

zeta is good for a soft synth, and if you run it through some outboard stuff to color it a little.......doesnt compare to a hardware synth, especially not the ones you have in mind.

my two cents...