What was the worst gear that you ever owned?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Keyser Soze

Post by Keyser Soze » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:27 am

For me, without doubt a Casio MIDI guitar (one of the very early attempts at MIDI Guitar) that I bought ages ago before I started making a living out of music. It was expensive, has totally crap tracking and I didn't know better. I still have it and have never mangaed to sell it. Though I wouldn't try to sell it to anyone these days because guilt would plague my conscience and I just couldn't live with myself knowing that I sold a useless piece of equipment to some unsuspecting buyer. I still hate the salesman who sold it to me because he took advantage of my ignorance at the time.
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:49 am

Keyser Soze wrote:For me, without doubt a Casio MIDI guitar (one of the very early attempts at MIDI Guitar) that I bought ages ago before I started making a living out of music. It was expensive, has totally crap tracking and I didn't know better. I still have it and have never mangaed to sell it. Though I wouldn't try to sell it to anyone these days because guilt would plague my conscience and I just couldn't live with myself knowing that I sold a useless piece of equipment to some unsuspecting buyer. I still hate the salesman who sold it to me because he took advantage of my ignorance at the time.
he he...was it really no use at all? like not even for writing simple bass lines or triggering loops or something? I would have thought you could find some use

I used to have a Boss DR-5 drum machine which had a input jack and a primitive kind of tracking where it would figure out the note and convert it - latency was horrible, but it was kind of fun to play around with - or course this was a long time ago, long before I even had any kind of computer setup and so it was a novelty

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:15 am

Keyser Soze wrote:For me, without doubt a Casio MIDI guitar ...has totally crap tracking and I didn't know better. I still have it and have never mangaed to sell it. Though I wouldn't try to sell it to anyone these days because guilt would plague my conscience and I just couldn't live with myself knowing that I sold a useless piece of equipment to some unsuspecting buyer. I still hate the salesman who sold it to me because he took advantage of my ignorance at the time.
I NEVER EVER EVER endorse this kind of behavior but in your case it's highly warranted.

Get it working... link it to a synth, hit record and set the fucker on fire.

Rid yourself and the world of the evil.

It's probably not even that playable of a guitar, right? You need to cleanse yourself of this evil. :twisted:

skiptracer

Post by skiptracer » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:35 am

korg es-1

peex

DIE DIGIDESIGN DIE

Post by peex » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:09 am

MBOX! CRAP!

Mike Goodwin

Re: DIE DIGIDESIGN DIE

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:31 am

peex wrote:MBOX! CRAP!
YES CRAP! I can't stress this enough. Ok the unit is "ok?" but the drivers are CRAP :!:

forge

Post by forge » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:09 am

Mike Goodwin wrote:
YES CRAP! I can't stress this enough. Ok the unit is "ok?" but the drivers are CRAP :!:
SWEETJESUS ARE YOU LISTENING TO THIS??

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:09 am

forge wrote:
Mike Goodwin wrote:
SWEETJESUS ARE YOU LISTENING TO THIS??
indeed i am, interesting stuff .. go on...

mind u, i dont experience the kind of abnornality that i get using Live + mbox when i use Pro Tools or SX with the mbox..

Keyser Soze

Post by Keyser Soze » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:07 pm

forge wrote: he he...was it really no use at all? like not even for writing simple bass lines or triggering loops or something? I would have thought you could find some use

Well, it served a minor purpose as a way to input chords when my keyboard skills were worse than they are now and I could play bass lines and melodies on the higher strings and would then transpose them down an octave or two. Still, totally crap latency!

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
Get it working... link it to a synth, hit record and set the fucker on fire.

Rid yourself and the world of the evil.

It's probably not even that playable of a guitar, right? You need to cleanse yourself of this evil. :twisted:
Actually, it is playable as a guitar. The actual guitar itself is not bad (a Washburn). I recently ripped the guts out of it and use it as a spare knock about guitar to doodle with when my other guitars are not in easy reach. Nevertheless, it still is a crap piece of equipment I wish I had never bought considering it was expensive at the time and I was poor.
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

unsuccessful handshake

Post by unsuccessful handshake » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:48 am

roland mc-505
...might work for some people, but for me...
it was my first piece of gear, i bought it new (argh!!!)
was neat because i knew nothing about making electronic music, knew nobody else who did it, and didnt have a computer (which i use mostly now, but hate the interface)

anyways, they sound like crap, like all grooveboxes, and cost WAY too much. oh well...
metamucil

gregpharez

Post by gregpharez » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:45 am

Alesis Photon 25

The mod and pitch wheels were controlled by an x-y joystick that was spring loaded to return to its resting place at the intersection of the x-y axis.

If you wanted to bend the pitch, releasing the stick made the mod wheel sit at 50%.

those units are the poorest designed midi controllers ever. they should be burned.

network.funky

Event EzBus

Post by network.funky » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 am

Great idea, worked for a while but now keeps resetting itself which freaks my PC out no end.

It was very pricey, its now unsupported, and is the most expensive doorstop I own.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 : 3.2Ghz Intel Processor : 2GB RAM
Emu1820m : EZ Bus : Yamaha SY35 : most of Linplug's offerings : Stylus RMX
Amiga A500 : AMAS : TurboSound

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:15 am

unsuccessful handshake wrote:roland mc-505
...might work for some people, but for me...
it was my first piece of gear, i bought it new (argh!!!)
was neat because i knew nothing about making electronic music, knew nobody else who did it, and didnt have a computer (which i use mostly now, but hate the interface)

anyways, they sound like crap, like all grooveboxes, and cost WAY too much. oh well...
Hehe. same here.
Piece of crap Roland grooveboxes......
The only thing i really loved, were the d-beams.

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:33 pm

skiptracer wrote:korg es-1
You are joking right? That's top of my list of gear I wish I'd never sold. Maybe the sound wasn't all that, but the interface was. I'm getting one again one day, I think.

BTW, if any of you have any MIDI gear, effects boxes, synths, even Peavey samplers, long as it's not too heavy, really, and you can be fucked to ship it to Denmark, please PM me. I'm quite likely to be interested.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

2bad

Post by 2bad » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:48 pm

Terratec EWS64-XL

flakiest piece of turd i've ever encountered. i dont think they ever sorted their driver problems, just released a new product. the silver lining was the Microwave PC hardware add on. I'm currently re-building a 98 box to revive this baby :lol: