5.2

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
fabortiz
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:26 pm
Contact:

5.2

Post by fabortiz » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:27 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know when the release for 5.2 (Intel Mac compatibility) will be available? It just says february on the website, but no exact date.

Thanks

mcconaghy
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Milford, CT USA
Contact:

Post by mcconaghy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:34 pm

If you read the announcement closely you'll get a better hint. 5.2 will enter beta as soon as the MacBook Pro's are available. That is supposed to be towards the end of the month.

fabortiz
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:26 pm
Contact:

Post by fabortiz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:58 am

er....The Mac Book Pros have been available for a couple of weeks now, I'm using one as we speak? I bought it end of Jan....

I'm sure they must have been released in the US at the same time, if not before?

Would be nice for an exact date in Feb from Ableton, since we are in Feb and the news have not been updated since...apologies for the slight grudge - ha ha

Digi V
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:18 am

Post by Digi V » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:22 am

what are you talking about? the first batch was not to be shipped until the 15th of this month.



are you sure you are speaking of the pro laptops?

HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Post by HD1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:30 am

i think i agree with fabortiz.......

i've seen the mactel powerbooks for sale at applestore for some time now

puRe
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:36 am
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Post by puRe » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:46 am

:? 8O :?:

linzatti
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:42 am

Post by linzatti » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:49 am

Digi V wrote:what are you talking about? the first batch was not to be shipped until the 15th of this month.



are you sure you are speaking of the pro laptops?
I saw them being avaliable for order at the end of January too.

mcconaghy
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Milford, CT USA
Contact:

Post by mcconaghy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:37 pm

They've been available for pre-order since MacWorld, but won't ship until February 15th, according to Apple.

Mk
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:07 am
Location: New York City

Post by Mk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:58 pm

mcconaghy wrote:They've been available for pre-order since MacWorld, but won't ship until February 15th, according to Apple.
this guy knows what he's talking about. U.S. orders ship 15th of Feb. my friend and i bought one for our project studio and its due to be delivered on 23rd of Feb.

DJHELLO!
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by DJHELLO! » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:48 pm

Anyone have any ideas about when 5.2 is actually arriving?

I use SERATO and on the weekend I was messing around with the demo of 5 on my 20" Intel Mac, was really impressed - great fun and really quick for chucking ideas together to see what works.

I was using SERATO to scratch in a load of loops and scratched beats etc to build a scratch composition.

Anyway ver.5 really crunches along on the Intel Macs - It was having an eppy with only three two bar samples playing, I was kinda feeling the Prefuse glitchyness but I'd rather just get 5.2 and get a true idea of how it works.

Angstrom
Posts: 14741
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Post by Angstrom » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:04 pm

DJHELLO! wrote: ... having an eppy ...
8O
1980's Uk slang translation for non UK readers
an eppy = stuttering spasmodic behaviour, jumping around.

derivation, an epileptic fit.

mcconaghy
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Milford, CT USA
Contact:

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:28 pm

DJHELLO! wrote:Anyone have any ideas about when 5.2 is actually arriving?
As it says in the news section on this very site, as soon as the MacBook Pros are shipping, 5.2 will enter beta stage. Add one to two weeks onto that to allow for a decent testing period, and you should have it by the end of the month.

kennerb
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by kennerb » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:43 pm

How bout the flipping Windows 5.2 for those of us not concerned with those things mac. It's really frustrating to wait for a company that has nothing to do with the platform you work on to release something. Apple is so famous for pushed back release dates too. Seems like the abes should split the release up. Especially since they are charging for the macbook version and not the others.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

mcconaghy
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2002 6:04 pm
Location: Milford, CT USA
Contact:

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:50 pm

kennerb wrote:How bout the flipping Windows 5.2 for those of us not concerned with those things mac. It's really frustrating to wait for a company that has nothing to do with the platform you work on to release something. Apple is so famous for pushed back release dates too. Seems like the abes should split the release up. Especially since they are charging for the macbook version and not the others.
All versions will be released at the same time. 5.2 is not just about releasing a Universal binary, it's about bug-fixing, of which there are plenty on both platforms. Ableton want to get rid of as many bugs as possible, and make all 3 versions (Mac/Universal/Windows) as identical as possible. That takes time.

kennerb
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by kennerb » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:25 pm

mcconaghy wrote:
kennerb wrote:How bout the flipping Windows 5.2 for those of us not concerned with those things mac. It's really frustrating to wait for a company that has nothing to do with the platform you work on to release something. Apple is so famous for pushed back release dates too. Seems like the abes should split the release up. Especially since they are charging for the macbook version and not the others.
All versions will be released at the same time. 5.2 is not just about releasing a Universal binary, it's about bug-fixing, of which there are plenty on both platforms. Ableton want to get rid of as many bugs as possible, and make all 3 versions (Mac/Universal/Windows) as identical as possible. That takes time.

Since when was there a need for external testing for bug fixes. By it's very nature a bug is an issue that is demonstrated, documented, and reproduced. At that point it is in the dev. or response team's hands. No need to involve others. This is more a case of branding priority than actually getting something out to people so it will help them.

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, and tastes like fish then 2 out of 4 times it's probably fish.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Post Reply