got me a comfy chair!!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:39 pm

The most important piece of gear.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:45 pm

Ditto on the herman miller chair, that's what I have, We got them at my day job, and ever since every other chair is weak IMO. It's expensive, but worth it IMO.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
InnerPortalStudio.com - Professional Audio Mastering

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:53 pm

I have a fancy chair like that at work too. Sucks to have a bad back but the chair helps alot.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:57 pm

Got lucky with a Herman Miller Aeron for $300 from a friend's friend's went-bust office sale. Probably sit in it 6-8 hrs/day and not one arse/back/leg twinge in...4 years? Do your body a favour and drop the cash if you see one for a good price, you'll never regret it, want to buy the mrs one next birthday too.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:35 pm

Magnetotron wrote:I sat in one of these for 3 years at my last job...
http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Pro ... p8,00.html

Now every other chair I sit in sucks.

High tech companies always get them, and then when they go out of business you can buy them on Ebay for cheap. If you don't mind the "stylish" design and pretentiousness that surrounds herman miller, it really is a super awsome chair that you can really forget about that your sitting in. It's hard to find a chair that you're not constantly adjusting yourself in. It distracts and takes away from your productivity.

I also hear LEAP chairs from a company called Steelchase are the bomb too.

This really is an important thing, when your sitting several hours every day. If you don't sit that much, then a crappier chair will probably suffice.
That's what my ass is plopped in right now. In my corporate cube, under flourescent lights, with several computers all around me. Well at least the chair is healthy for me. We call them fart diffusers here because the mesh keeps your seat fresh.

Yo radeyoda I see what you are saying about spending money on actual music gear but the bottom line is that you are going to be more productive if you are comfortable. I've got arthritis thoughout my body so I know what it's like to not be able to get up in the morning, or not being able to walk comfortably sometimes. We think nothing of putting 5k rims on our cars or buying super deluxe sound systems but so many of us cheap out when it comes to taking care of our own physical self. Cheap shoes, bad furniture, futons on the floor. Ehkk. I want to be feeling my best for as long as possible.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Cache

Post by Cache » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:26 pm

yup, i've been using an 'executive chair' in the studio for past while - its a pile of crap.

herman millers are the most comfortable chair i've ever sat in. i'm picking one up today actually (friday).

they are as important as monitors - seriously. get your egonomics right because if you're sitting there and being uncomfortable you will unconsciously not want to be there as long. whereas if you feel great every time you sit down at your studio, then you will want to be there more.

there must be chairs like aeron (HMiller) for cheaper, but i haven't seen one yet. (haven't looked either to be honest...:) )
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:51 pm

smutek wrote:I'd spend more if I could, but plan on spending up to $250.00 US

I want to get something with a high back and a headrest I think.
i got a nice highback chair w/ head rest..

and hate it
it kills my back
it's to to easy to slouch in
it's just to comfy

ouch
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

dubbyah

Post by dubbyah » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Can you buy hermen millers commercially? Or are they only available if you work in an office????

if you can buy them, how much are they?

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:51 pm

dubbyah wrote:Can you buy hermen millers commercially? Or are they only available if you work in an office????

if you can buy them, how much are they?
No you can buy them at any big office supply place. Ebay has them all day for about $550 plus $80 shipping.

Keep your eye open for business sales though. They don't breakdown or make an ass print so used should be fine.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 pm

yep the Herman mill ones they used to have in the investment bank I worked in - they were awesome

I saw one in a 2nd hand office furniture store for £200 scratched to buggery, but at the time it never would have occured to me to spend that much, but really you need to

that's why radeon was being such a twat for disputing it, after a 20k windfall is EXACTLY the time to think about a chair
Last edited by forge on Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:12 pm

smutek wrote: It may be different for Radeon, who spends 11 hours working in a salt mine, then comes home and spends an hour or so in front of the computer. But for those who are making a living using their desks and computers, a good chair is a good idea.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:23 pm

forge wrote:
smutek wrote: It may be different for Radeon, who spends 11 hours working in a salt mine, then comes home and spends an hour or so in front of the computer. But for those who are making a living using their desks and computers, a good chair is a good idea.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
They have salt mines on Dagobah? I know there is no IKEA there unless it's in that tunnel place where darth was beheaded.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:46 am

kennerb wrote: They have salt mines on Dagobah? I know there is no IKEA there unless it's in that tunnel place where darth was beheaded.
I can see Forge sitting in his chair, a blazing starfield behind him in the window, sluicing creepy black liquid around his teeth going: "Young FOOL! Everything that has tranSPIRED has done so according to MYYYY deSIGN"
Last edited by Pitch Black on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

HD1

Post by HD1 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:46 am

spiderprod wrote: ropeypunter ,if we talk in uk£ radeon is right ,
if we are talking us$ your are right .
you might not be privvy to the context of that discussion, but i was clearly talking in euros

madison

Post by madison » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:54 am

Whatever chair you get, make sure those arm rests can adjust and get out of the way if you are a guitar or bass player!
Arm rests can be a pain in the butt to deal with.
Like if your work space/table is too low and the chair won't slide under it because the arm rests.
Darn, now I want a new chair!
Before I moved, I had a decent one from my office that they were going to toss out.
Miss it now.