anyone using a x0xb0x ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HD1

anyone using a x0xb0x ?

Post by HD1 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:59 am

for those who dont know, its a roland tb303 clone. some german electronic nerd types reverse engineered a real 303 and apparently this kit they are selling is identical in structure to the 303.

i was to pick up some solder equipment so I could start circuit bending, this x0xb0x seems like a good way to get into electrictronics and come out of it with a 303 , perhaps modded to your taste...

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

anyways, does anyone here have one ? has anyone used one first hand ?

is it actually as good as the people behind it say it is ?

303's go for around 1200 euros on ebay with midi functions....i think this kit goes for around 350

leonard

Re: anyone using a x0xb0x ?

Post by leonard » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:47 am

RopeyPunter wrote:for those who dont know, its a roland tb303 clone. some german electronic nerd types reverse engineered a real 303 and apparently this kit they are selling is identical in structure to the 303.

i was to pick up some solder equipment so I could start circuit bending, this x0xb0x seems like a good way to get into electrictronics and come out of it with a 303 , perhaps modded to your taste...

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/

anyways, does anyone here have one ? has anyone used one first hand ?

is it actually as good as the people behind it say it is ?

303's go for around 1200 euros on ebay with midi functions....i think this kit goes for around 350
I think/hope I'm on the waiting list. You have to go on a waiting list, I emailed ladyada in october, and I think run 3 is just about to start. Its available on the website but i havn't got a email yet. The mp3's on the website and forum sound pretty good though, plus you can put all your mods in to start with. I can't fudgekin wait!

HD1

Post by HD1 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:52 am

how much is it?

and when do you pay ?

leonard

Post by leonard » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:10 am

$315US for just the kit. you can get some extras like USB for like 25 bucks or something. I'm estimating that with shipping, it'll be around $450-500AU, which is still good for a 303. If I am lucky enough to get one, I'll pay as soon as I get my password for the site.

unsuccessful handshake

Post by unsuccessful handshake » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:33 am

2 of my friends back home have them. (i will get to toy around with one in a few months...)
they are indeed essentially a 303, just with midi and usb. and way cheaper. of coarse you have to build it too.
i havent tried to tackle any projects like this yet, but i dont know if it would be the best way to "learn how to solder"...
i guess it could be done, the key is patience (or so i hear)
metamucil

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:24 am

I've got that Audiorealism Bassline, which is a pretty good clone.

http://www.audiorealism.se/
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:45 am

unsuccessful handshake wrote:2 of my friends back home have them. (i will get to toy around with one in a few months...)
they are indeed essentially a 303, just with midi and usb. and way cheaper. of coarse you have to build it too.
i havent tried to tackle any projects like this yet, but i dont know if it would be the best way to "learn how to solder"...
i guess it could be done, the key is patience (or so i hear)
i've put together little mics and preamp thingies before, all of which worked (until I left them out without a cover to get dust in their receptacles). I've not tackled a project like this, but it should come right when I finnish my current studies, so some time to do this will be on my hands (and an excuse to get a brand new soldering iron :D).

HD1

Post by HD1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:47 am

are you gonna stray from the x0xb0x beaten path, and maybe mod it too as you build it ?

how many hours do you think it takes to assemble ?

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:48 am

kramerica wrote:I've got that Audiorealism Bassline, which is a pretty good clone.

http://www.audiorealism.se/
software clones aren't my thing. The only reason I'm tackling a x0x is 'cos it supposedly has all the same parts as an original 303 = basically the same thing (and the whole building thing of course). I dont think I'd really be keen on even a hardware clone for that matter.

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:07 am

RopeyPunter wrote:are you gonna stray from the x0xb0x beaten path, and maybe mod it too as you build it ?
likely. If I assemble it and it works, I dont want to gu messing with it, if you get my drift. dont ask me what mods I'll put in though, cos I have to see it all first. the zero env mod and the bass boost would be mandatory though.
how many hours do you think it takes to assemble ?
for me, probably the rest of the year :wink:

HD1

Post by HD1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:54 am

heh...well I've listened to some x0xb0x samples, one of which has a x0xb0x in one field of a stereo recording, and a 303 in the other...they dont tell you which, you are supposed to vote....

anyways they sound indistinguishable accept one has amore analogue kind of boom to it....

at any rate, a x0xb0x fed through some processing would sound identical to the 303, from the small amount of samples ive been checking out

its certainly a kool project for any electronic enthusiasts...