My first perfomance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sadmac

My first perfomance

Post by sadmac » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:12 am

Hi all. In two weeks i am going to perform live for the firts time in my life.
Any suggestions, advices, tricks, tips, would be really thankful as my anxiety increasing day by day.
So, to all of you who performed live with ableton i need courage...
Tell me things that i have to take care off.
For example i am still in between one decision.
I am about to assign one saturator effect, and one vinyl distorion either on the midi buttons ( a bcr 2000) either to the keyboard of the powerbook.

Thank for the reading

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:21 am

do you mean that you havnt got a solid set yet? and your going to perform Live? for the first time in your life?

What are you going to do? DJ or Live performance of own material.

My advise is to do whatever sounds good, but make sure that you have a good few practices before your gig.

Standing up infront of people can either be really easy or really hard, of its your first time then you wont know which one, make sure your confident.

/.

Post by /. » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:33 am

shut down all unneeded progs to save proc cycles for performance, prepare your set, few practices are also helpful.

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:17 pm

wilxon wrote:do you mean that you havnt got a solid set yet? and your going to perform Live? for the first time in your life?

What are you going to do? DJ or Live performance of own material.

My advise is to do whatever sounds good, but make sure that you have a good few practices before your gig.

Standing up infront of people can either be really easy or really hard, of its your first time then you wont know which one, make sure your confident.
I do have the main plan of the set ready. Its my own material. 4 audio channels with effects to each of them. I do practise everyday.
Right, i know what you mean. The good think is that i ll perform to an audience with almost unknown people. This makes me feel better...
thank you.

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:18 pm

/. wrote:shut down all unneeded progs to save proc cycles for performance, prepare your set, few practices are also helpful.
thank you also... :wink:

maxbaun

Post by maxbaun » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:43 pm

Red Bull it up before your show. That's what I always do before DJing. I also recommend shutting down Dashboard if you have Tiger, that will take a little off your CPU. Good luck! Let us know how the gig goes.

amo

Post by amo » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:12 pm

And I advice you to purchase a license if you want to be 100% sure you don't get a webpage telling you to register in the middle of your show :lol:
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

madison

Post by madison » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:21 pm

relax.
Grab a few brews before, if you need them BUT don't over do the drink.
I always look at it like this:
When I go to see shows and I see a crap band and I am in the audience going nuts in my head saying "damn I could do better than that!"......
Well, now it's your turn on the stage!
Plus, sometimes the worst performances are the most memorable and funny.
But, I play guitar in a 3 pc group so all of what I am saying may not apply to the DJ gigs?
Enjoy it.

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:53 pm

maxbaun wrote:Red Bull it up before your show. That's what I always do before DJing. I also recommend shutting down Dashboard if you have Tiger, that will take a little off your CPU. Good luck! Let us know how the gig goes.
I was thinking of something stronger than red bull... :lol:
Yes i do have tiger, if i quit dashboard is it enough to have more cpu?

I ll let you know, thanx for the words.

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:56 pm

amo wrote:And I advice you to purchase a license if you want to be 100% sure you don't get a webpage telling you to register in the middle of your show :lol:
This possibility of asking to register during the show is a challenge to scream when i finish. It wont happen. But thank you, you r smart. I didn't think of that.

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:57 pm

madison wrote:relax.
Grab a few brews before, if you need them BUT don't over do the drink.
I always look at it like this:
When I go to see shows and I see a crap band and I am in the audience going nuts in my head saying "damn I could do better than that!"......
Well, now it's your turn on the stage!
Plus, sometimes the worst performances are the most memorable and funny.
But, I play guitar in a 3 pc group so all of what I am saying may not apply to the DJ gigs?
Enjoy it.
I totally agree, i am just thinking that overdrink might turn it into blood, i have prepared many live things to do in real time, so...maybe a joint would be better than alcohol...
thank you... :wink:

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:10 pm

Does anybody know if there is any way don't to have the space bar as a stop button? I am really afraid of that...:)
Also how can i use again a midi clip?
I mean i used the operator to write down some notes. and as i import it back it seems that it plays but i cannot listen to the sound.....aaaarrrgh!

Jesse_mtl

Post by Jesse_mtl » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:25 pm

hey man, check the tips and tricks! i discovered a guy wrote an autoscript to keyboard control the live file browser, and another one to stop the space bar! ive run into that problem many times using live to dj, pressing sopacer bar and EVERYTHING stops playing in the middle of your set. ddowload it man, the guy who wrote it should get major props!

sadmac

Post by sadmac » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:53 pm

Jesse_mtl wrote:hey man, check the tips and tricks! i discovered a guy wrote an autoscript to keyboard control the live file browser, and another one to stop the space bar! ive run into that problem many times using live to dj, pressing sopacer bar and EVERYTHING stops playing in the middle of your set. ddowload it man, the guy who wrote it should get major props!
cant find it :(
can you tell me thelink please?
It seems to be useful and i am really afraid of something like that happen, since i have made some assignments to keyboard.
thank you

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:30 pm

Get a bottle of Gin in ya..Everything will be fine.. 8O

When your finish your gig, you'll come of stage like the cheshire cat..Break a leg!!