What Determines the Input/Output Latency #'s for Devices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
STRATEGY_510

What Determines the Input/Output Latency #'s for Devices

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:25 pm

And what do the numbers really mean?

What are "good" numbers?

Assuming I have a great ear, what #'s are indicative of latency becoming detectable to the ear?

MY DESKTOP:

MME/DirectX > Nvidia nforce Audio Wave
input latency: 185ms
output latency: 92 ms

MME/DirectX > Nvidia nforce Audio DX
"failed to open the auido input device Nvidia nforce Audio Wave" (??)

ASIO > Nvidia ASIO
input latency: 20ms
output latency: 20ms

ASIO > MAudio USB ASIO (Fast Track Pro)
input latency: 8ms
output latency: 8ms

MY LAPTOP

MME/DirectX > SigmaTel Audio DX
input latency: 170ms
output latency: 85ms

MME/DirectX > SigmaTel Audio Wave
input latency: 170ms
output latency: 85ms

ASIO > MAudio USB ASIO (Fast Track Pro)
input latency: 7ms
output latency: 7ms

The ida here is that one thing I'll be doing a lot of is recording manually synced turntable into live sets, so I'm thinking latency is something I will need to pay attention to?

I know enough to tell that I should be using the Fast Track Pro whenever possible, but I'm wondering hypothetically what those other device numbers would mean were they my onlu option.

Thanks,

STRATEGY

Deft

Post by Deft » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:40 pm

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:47 pm

i am happy with anything under 6ms. on my system, allows me to play any keyboard controller, softsynth or record any instrument / vocals without major audible problems.

Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:03 pm

Though you want to get as low as possible (5-6 MS is ideal), you really won’t notice latency, terrible, until after 12 MS.

When musicians play live, at a show, or just jamming, 12 MS is the general natural latency for the signal to leave the amplifier (amp, acoustic body, voice, etc), travel through the air to the listener and then be processed by the brain.

So anything above 12 MS will definitely be noticeable. Anything at or below that will be solid.

On a side note: I’ve noticed on faster systems, for some odd reason, that higher latency doesn’t really become annoying as quickly. For example, my DAW which is a Pentium D dual core, 3.2, can handle go much higher latency wise before it’s useless (16-20ms or so). However, my internet /general use PC is worthless after 14ms.