Akai MPC-1000 new look, 2.0 version...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thelike5

Akai MPC-1000 new look, 2.0 version...

Post by thelike5 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:44 am

I have always had a soft spot for MPC's and after seeing this new version, I'm thinking GEAR LUST for sure....

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM06 ... n-2.0.html

Any comments? This looks just about right to me... :D :D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:53 am

That's phat - I had a 1000 and was disappointed

but having an MPC and Ableton seems kind of redundant for me at this point

It's dope though!

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:58 am

Hey Adonis, what disapointed you about the 1000? Just wondering because I have heard that the number one reason people were dissapointed was due to "bug" issues with the OS. Reading posts, I've heard A LOT of that has changed with the new OS. Just curious as I have an Uncle Sam refund that's burning a hole in my pocket...

Anyhow, I'm a sucker for asthetics :oops: and asthecitly speaking, it just looks NICE...

As far as being redundant, I'm well aware. But this is coming from a guy who just recently picked up a Korg emx1 versus investing in Absynth and upgrading to Live 5.

It's nice to get away for awhile knowing you can always come back... :)

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:29 am

The 2500 is dope is as well. "Chopshop" is dooooppppee.

I see the redundancy point though. I have the MPD 16 pads and they work great with Impulse. I've considered getting an MPC but it seems like, aside from possible latency or drifting, it's so much easier to edit your beats by using the MPD with Impulse (or otherwise).

Does anyone have a counterargument to this assertion or am I right on money?
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:17 am

what is chopshop?

i've heard this mentioned on other boards and haven't found a good explanation.

i had a 1000 and found it a bit redundant. i wouldn't mind getting that 2500 though, thing looks sick.

Kenfen

Post by Kenfen » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:59 am

I dug the MPC stuff until computers got the better of me....

Way easier to deal with and better options.

But, having said that, I do love the tightness of Akai timing very much and the way loops sound in their machines.

For my setup now, with Live, the mpc is pointless.

Regards,

Kenfen

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:32 am

i loved my MPC 2k

untill ableton made it collect dust

sold it 2 years ago and never ever missed it
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

kramerica

Post by kramerica » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:37 am

CITYSTATE wrote:what is chopshop?
Chopshop takes a sample, say from a James Brown record, and divides up the drum hits and other instruments for you. So that means if you sample a breakbeat, chopshop will instantly divide up the hihat, snare, kick, crash, etc. and turn them into individual sample hits that you can assign to different pads for later use. This is what it claims anyways - I have yet to use it. Pretty neat, if you really like a drum sound from a record and can't seem to duplicate it.
\,, / (^_^) \,,? /

reptar

Post by reptar » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:55 am

kramerica wrote:
Chopshop takes a sample, say from a James Brown record, and divides up the drum hits and other instruments for you. So that means if you sample a breakbeat, chopshop will instantly divide up the hihat, snare, kick, crash, etc. and turn them into individual sample hits that you can assign to different pads for later use. This is what it claims anyways - I have yet to use it. Pretty neat, if you really like a drum sound from a record and can't seem to duplicate it.
I think chopshop is more complicated than that, cause you can do that on a 1000 with OS2.1.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:25 pm

Didn't they just raise the praise?

I'd quite like one of these, really, not as a centre piece of my setup but something to use to get away from the computer.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:52 pm

The pads are way above and beyond those on the microkorg... but I don't know if I could justify the price (especially with the apparent hike up) just for 16 nice pads... :/

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:11 pm

MPC3000, damn good compression. Thanks Mr. Linn!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:17 pm

kramerica wrote:I have the MPD 16 pads and they work great with Impulse. I've considered getting an MPC but it seems like, aside from possible latency or drifting, it's so much easier to edit your beats by using the MPD with Impulse (or otherwise).

Does anyone have a counterargument to this assertion or am I right on money?
I bought an MPD years ago after feeling the pads on the MPC and IMO they're nothing at all like the MPC, you have to hit them in the middle, there's not much travel to them, not much 'life'.

Since then I've learned to drum with my fingers on a keyboard.

$1500 for an MPC... I guess if you have the cash to burn, why not, but I'd rather get a new laptop, more plug-ins, guitar, etc.

In the next few years I can see MPCs dropping in price dramatically, there's so many of them out there and the PC/Mac DAW environments are catching up.

Why doesn't someone make an MPC emulator? I guess capturing Roger Linn in software would be like catching sunshine in a jar.

louZ

Post by louZ » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:51 pm

reptar wrote:
kramerica wrote:
I think chopshop is more complicated than that, cause you can do that on a 1000 with OS2.1.
you can do that with GURU too...