Live 6 - what features are 100% inevitable???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
womoma

Live 6 - what features are 100% inevitable???

Post by womoma » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:17 pm

Hey.

Ive read plenty of peoples wish lists, but have seen no official hints as to what to expect.

Im presuming we should hear news of Ableton Live 6 by April or May. Does that seem reasonable?

Anyways- :arrow: what I would like to know is what features are INEVITABLE?

Not* what you would like personally, but what is almost definatly going to feature in the next installment of Live.

I know some features I would like, but Im not sure what to expect. Workflow enhancements definatly. But what else?

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:49 pm

I know one thing it has got to have an audio sample slicer, something sick... something better than phatmatik pro, something better than guru, something better than live slice, something better than kontact, something better than dicer, something better than recycle, better than fruity slicer, better than beatcreator, better than acids chopper,

and for heavens sake fill it to the rim with ableton only style features for all of us die hard samplist junkies and last but not least give it a record 'in'

I think the best thing ableton could do is take the features of all of those i listed and let that be the starting point for Live 6s slicer, in other words let that be the minimum. gurus intelligent slicing and acids ability to automaticly change the key of a sample should definitely be included.

EARLGREY

Post by EARLGREY » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:00 am

ciw

Post by ciw » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:31 am

Probably they're mostly after more normal daw/usability features.

such as, better control of freeze tracks (freeze only arrangement/session, freeze in ram?)
track fold/hide

maybe a vj plugin for separate purchase

and last but not least, more bugs, unfortunately, it can't be helped :wink:

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:45 am

I'm hoping for a plugin that features ninjas, pirates and monkeys

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:05 am

nipples
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

louZ

Post by louZ » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:44 am

Groove quantize and groove templates. They should have been there in v4, so v6 has got to have them!

InvizibleKid

Post by InvizibleKid » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:45 am

gaspode wrote:I'm hoping for a plugin that features ninjas, pirates and monkeys
Ah, the Holy Trinity. We can always dream...

AdamJay

Re: Live 6 - what features are 100% inevitable???

Post by AdamJay » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:24 am

womoma wrote:Hey.

Ive read plenty of peoples wish lists, but have seen no official hints as to what to expect.

Im presuming we should hear news of Ableton Live 6 by April or May. Does that seem reasonable?

Anyways- :arrow: what I would like to know is what features are INEVITABLE?

Not* what you would like personally, but what is almost definatly going to feature in the next installment of Live.

I know some features I would like, but Im not sure what to expect. Workflow enhancements definatly. But what else?
I would say June or July is when you'd hear definitive features.
and what is inevitable? i think its too early to say.
perhaps a new effects device or two, or the improvement on already existing ones. (this has been the norm from release to release)
I don't see why multi-track render wouldn't be implementable for the next release.

and of course the already announced multi-threading for dualcore and multiprocessor machines.

but really its much to early to estimate any other features.
Its February.

Credo

Post by Credo » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:40 am

From what I read in this thread Live will become fat. Too fat! From my point of view simplicity is king. Simplicity and stability. Thus bugfixes, the allready announced performance boost and after that the usual little extra Ableton stuff.

C
>>
MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, 3 Gb Ram, OS X 10.6.8
Novation Ultranova, Launchpad, Nocturn
MOTU Ultralite
Elektron Machinedrum + Monomachine
Future Retro XS
OTO Biscuit

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:18 am

There will be surround and video, which both something every other app has and marks the end of any unique qualities.

Dual processor support, which won't work.

Higher CPU usage

More color schemes

Support for some kind of mackie or maudio mixer, that won't work

And a new synth/add on, that you will have to pay for.

Now, that being said I still LOVE :mrgreen: live :mrgreen:

mrweasel

Post by mrweasel » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:52 am

Audio Overdubbing in clips in tracks or even as a synched plugin

To get over and done with it

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:02 am

Credo wrote:
From what I read in this thread Live will become fat. Too fat! From my point of view simplicity is king. Simplicity and stability. Thus bugfixes, the allready announced performance boost and after that the usual little extra Ableton stuff.
I TOTALLY AGREE, PLEASE ABLETON, KEEP IT VERY SIMPLE AND FOREMOST STABLE...

if you try to blow it to a full matured DAW, then it clearly will loose it's (i mean live) purpose for me. it's supposed to be a Live tool in the first place, if i want a full blown matured DAW i go fo Logic, DP or sequia... etc. and sorry but to reach that level you will have to develope for probably another decade...

keep it what it is and can do BEST, being a STABLE LIVE TOOL, for any other production requirement we can easy use something which is in that respect by far more ahead and more professionel developed!!!

i love live as a live tool, don't try to make something else out of it! this market is covered by enough producers / developers already... please, please... stay where you are in a GOOD SENSE!!!

LIVE is for LIVE.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:09 am

inevitable?

Well, I dont know about inevitable but I'm willing to bet the freeze will get the overhaul it needs - Robert as good as said so in the Brisbane Live workshop because he said they are well aware it's not very useful as is and they were hoping it would be finished in time for live 5 but in it's current state it's not really finished - well that's paraphrased of course, but that's what I picked up!

Obviously the dual processor support as stated

I have a feeling the Simpler might get another overhaul (multi samples anyone?)

I would REALLY REALLY like to see something done about the situation of automation being recorded seperately to the sequence as it drives me insane, but I'm not hopeful that will be done by v6 - either that and/or some kind of automation clips or tracks just for automation

likewise I'd like some kind of link between session and arrange so you can alter a clip in session and have it affect the same ones in arrange

I think we'll see some updates to plug-ins and/or new ones

I'd like to see some kind of midi controller templates - maybe scripting of some kind, but again maybe not v6

Solo in place for group tracks - that I think will be inevitable

I'd like to see solo and prelisten seperated as well

more browser windows - or at least seperate for audio fx, midi fx and instruments because it's so cluttered

improved speed of preview live clips etc + preview you can fastforward/rewind

HD1

Post by HD1 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:57 am

i think a 'history' option would be swell, like in photoshop. this way you can save on cpu by layering your effects and 'rendering' each level at a time and keeping the settings in memory...but flexible in that you can go 'hey - i should have put more bass back there'....etc etc