master me online mastering

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:40 am

/. wrote:... music is free form of art. its not necessary to master tracks
yeah but if it sounds like sh*t, then free sh*t is still sh*t... I'm not saying that everything should be mastered, but if you're gonna put it on a commercial release, you're doing yourself a dis-service if your music is not sonically polished. Even if it's a brilliant composition.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:42 am

anubis wrote:
yeah but if it sounds like sh*t, then free sh*t is still sh*t...
I'm not saying that everything should be mastered
, but if you're gonna put it on a commercial release, you're doing yourself a dis-service if your music is not sonically polished. Even if it's a brilliant composition.
spot on.

anubis wrote:
I'm not saying that everything should be mastered
even the best song / track in it's state of the absolut perfect production, can highly benefit from a propper mastering treatment, not talking home tweaking.

forge

Post by forge » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:23 pm

/. wrote:once you dont think like they do, they want to bring you down hurt you and fuck you up every possible way. music is free form of art. its not necessary to master tracks
well fine, you go off and have your nice happy art form world, and the rest of us will mix our tracks in with other records and not have them come out half the perceived level

I want people to hear my ideas, that usually means some kind of mastering - although you can do a reasonable job yourself if you spend years learning how and have the right plug-ins or whatever

claudek

Post by claudek » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:35 pm

I think mastering is a very important stage in the music process. It can make either make a track work or not, mainly on the dance genre. Many dj's first impression is the "sound and production", then the content.
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:32 pm

hi guys, please be so kind and follow this link, it is topic related.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34262

thank you!

/.

Post by /. » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:14 pm

forge wrote:
/. wrote:once you dont think like they do, they want to bring you down hurt you and fuck you up every possible way. music is free form of art. its not necessary to master tracks
well fine, you go off and have your nice happy art form world, and the rest of us will mix our tracks in with other records and not have them come out half the perceived level
every1 does things differently. if you cant mix youre levels without mastering, then its your way, if you wanna stick to standards and routines do it, do whatever you want.
nothings necessary.

claudek

Post by claudek » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:01 pm

art is anything you want it to be..
mastering is art
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:47 pm

/. wrote:
forge wrote:
every1 does things differently. if you cant mix youre levels without mastering, then its your way, if you wanna stick to standards and routines do it, do whatever you want.
nothings necessary.
its not about levels and absolute DB... it's about perceived levels.

you can get a mastering engineer who will give you a track back at the exact same level as what you gave it to him/her at and it will sound louder and clearer.

most professional mastering places have monitors which can hear a much wider range of the frequency spectrum than anything you could probably afford and will be able to spot minor mistakes and muddy bits which will make a difference.

also you can make a mix that translates well on most systems. a good mastering engineer will understand how much the different broadcast mediums (tv/radio/club) will affect the sound and deliver your work back to you with acoustical properties that will allow it to be presented in different mediums and still allow for the sound to be as fantastic as possible.

also i dont know what planet you live on but music is not a free form of art anymore .. unless you busk in the street and dont have a laptop and dont have a guitar, hell... dont even have a plectrum, then its not free...

it's like saying i should be able to flap my arms about and make the air move at the frequencies i want and make people dance.

jerry123

Post by jerry123 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:06 pm

Also, research the mastering process from L-R stereo to M/S stereo. That will help explain a little more about what mastering engineers help with.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:35 am

I love watching the trolls getting fed.

Here's another tasty morsel!

/.

Post by /. » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:55 am

call me whatever you want pulsoc, i though i can say what i think in this forum, last time i just get many negative emotions from this place. ppl talk bout many things here. politics, science, synths, live, drugs../ man why cant i say taht masterings not necessary, i just dont think that anythings necesary in music. thats all.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:01 am

/. wrote:
every1 does things differently.
if you cant mix youre levels without mastering, then its your way
, if you wanna stick to standards and routines do it, do whatever you want.
nothings necessary.
few man, this is really embarrassing... you simply don't have a single clue.

are you serious to talk so much rubish?

zeeker

Post by zeeker » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:32 am

http://www.xarcmastering.com

very professional, and everything's done as they promise..
imac 27" | 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 4GB ram | Leopard Snow
blackbook 13.3" | 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 3GB ram | Leopard
yamaha 01x digital mixer

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:51 am

/. check this link , it will give you something

http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule_id ... age_id=18/

jdrada

Post by jdrada » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Real Mastering takes place when they dump your digital file on Tape and process with analog EQ's, Compressors etc. Afterward it's dumped back to Digital format as a finished product. It's like taking a Gem and polishing it to give it that luster and shine. It's essential in the process. Software Mastering is not even close to being the same. There is an audible difference.

ps. These guys are very good and reasonable

http://www.emasters.co.uk