live with external sequencer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Takashi

live with external sequencer

Post by Takashi » Thu May 08, 2003 3:11 pm

Hello everyone
need some thoughts input using live2.03 on a pc and would like to have it slave to my hardware sequencer..I know that in the settings for midi in live you can have live slave to mtc or beat clock
just unsure on how this should work in theory as the manual does not elaborate..
Hoping to have my midi tracks on the sequencer be master for tempo and when I change the tempo from the hardware sequencer have live follow..
I know this is possible yet want to get any advice I get here..
If I record the midi as audio to ableton as a guide should this work in theory as I would like to fly in vocals on live with the midi running outside the computer.
best regards to all
TAKASHI

systek

Post by systek » Thu May 08, 2003 7:13 pm

I use an mpc4000 + motu mtp sync'ed up using either SMPTE or MTC. I use the mpc as the master MMC and I have Live slaved to the MTC generated on the MTP. It works perfect... a true loopers, midi recording paradise!! It does take a few seconds to get smtpe or mtc synced up but I start everything on Bar 9.1.1 and it syncs up just fine. IF you have a basic midi interface it should be able to accept incoming timecode into LIVE. As a side note, I have used Live as the master generating midi clock to the mpc and it works ok but I noticed some drift after 10 or so minutes of playing... live version 2.0.3

Takashi

external sequencer

Post by Takashi » Fri May 09, 2003 3:12 am

thanks wondering if anyone hooks up this way with roland or yamaha groove box or perhaps dp or logic to another computer..
intersted in some more info if anyone cares to share..great and thanks
takashi :wink: