Low end sound cards - am I missing out on better sound?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
LivePsy

Low end sound cards - am I missing out on better sound?

Post by LivePsy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:11 am

I've only ever used cheap sound cards before: Audiomedia III, Hoontech DSP24 and now an Audiophile 2496. I thought I was getting good sound out of them. But I'm wondering if I'm getting much better than motherboard audio!

I hear absolutely no difference between 16 bits 44.1KHz and 24 bits 96KHz on sounds generated by Reason 3 and Operator. Straight from generator to audio out, no fx. Should I expect to hear clearer high end? Either the music I want to make doesn't need anything better than 'CD quality' (all electronic generated trance), or I need a much better hardware audio interface.

What's the deal? Do I need better gear?

B

alan*

Post by alan* » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:40 am

Short answer - yes. Ask yourself, are you 100% happy with what what you have, if the answer is yes then look no further, if the answer is no then think about investing in a more high end sound card. A new motu interface is about to come out soon, maybe consider that one, it looks good.
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:55 am

Sure you can do better than onboard soundcards. But... Both DSP24 and Audiophile are highly acclaimed cards. Sure there are even better cards, but there always will be.

Regards,
Mikael

jerry123

Post by jerry123 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:33 am

Most mid-range stuff is quite similar. Untill you get upto to Lynx or Appogee converters. Then you will get wider stereo, tighter, deeper bass and a more detailed high-end.