The Dance Music Manual by RicK Snoman

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gtrance

The Dance Music Manual by RicK Snoman

Post by Gtrance » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:27 pm

Anyone read it??

Is it good, bad??

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:56 pm

It is very good. The chapters on different musical style are the weakest (but still ok), but the general production advice are top notch.

Check the reviews on Amazon...

dCross

Post by dCross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:00 pm

very good book - talks about synthesis, effects processing, and arrangement from the ground up.

somejerk

Post by somejerk » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:41 pm

hmm...will check this out soon. thanks for posting!
somejerk.net / floridadnb.com

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:43 pm

The mixing section is great. I really like the descriprions of programming theory and standard sounds used with different genres and how they are created. I find myself picking this book up all the time just for fun reading. [/code]
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

Gtrance

Post by Gtrance » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:08 pm

to be honest I have actualy already bought this book the other day and thought it was excellent but I wanted to hear some other opinions on it. Largely because my knowledge is so small I wouldnt know how good his advice and tips actually are.

I thought I would stay away from the genre sections especially the "how to build a trance/house/other genre bit as I didnt want my own creativity to be guided too much.

I thought the programming theory seemed really indepth and I havent looked at the mixing section yet but seems to be plenty of pages to help me on my way.

If like me you are very much a beginner then its worth checking this book out. Though the early pages about different chords and notes is daunting (in my opinion)

dCross

Post by dCross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:04 pm

Gtrance wrote:I thought I would stay away from the genre sections especially the "how to build a trance/house/other genre bit as I didnt want my own creativity to be guided too much.
I feel what you're saying, but all dance music genres do follow certain specific rules with regard to beat and rhythm structures. That's all thats being laid out in those chapters - lots of room for individual creativity!

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:19 pm

I'm part way through this book - I think it's excellent. Loving the chapter on synthesis. This book is bringing together all the bits of knowledge/information I've picked up from magazine/web articles.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:32 pm

Great recomendation, I've got $50 of Amazon credit to spend, I'll pick it up.

Does anyone recomend anything else?

Gtrance wrote: Though the early pages about different chords and notes is daunting (in my opinion)
I know some music theory, PM me or start a new [OT] thread and we can discuss whatever you want. I'm sure there are people here who know quite a bit of theory.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:33 pm

does it have much to offer people past the intermediate stages?

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Gtrance wrote:
I thought I would stay away from the genre sections especially the "how to build a trance/house/other genre bit as I didnt want my own creativity to be guided too much.

(in my opinion)
I suggest you go through them specifically for that reason. I avoided formulaic music writing for a long time. Rick even says do watcha like. But he also makes an incredibly valid point. He says to go ahead and make your track with a different length intro, break, verse, or chorus. Then stand back and listen to it. You will almost always immediately feel something is not right. We have been conditioned since birth to hear things a certain way. If you are trying to break those down then more power to you, but if you want your stuff to be played out then you have to admit that dance music at least is extremely formulaic.

It's like film. David Lynch, Stephen Spielberg, and Federico Fellini make incredibly different films however you can break down conflict, development, and plotline down to the minute. Try it sometime if you don't believe.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:27 pm

Yep, one of the reasons blues is very popular, very predictable structure and progressions, allmost all popular genres has a formula, it's what you play in between that counts :wink:

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:04 pm

ILTK wrote:Yep, one of the reasons blues is very popular, very predictable structure and progressions, allmost all popular genres has a formula, it's what you play in between that counts :wink:
Word!

Like a paraphrase of what Miles Davis said. "It isn't what notes you hear that makes things swing. It's the space in between that does it. "

Gtrance

Post by Gtrance » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:54 pm

Thats what I love about forum's like this one. I put a post and not only do i get answers to what I ask but loads of extra advice, help and suggestions which all contributes to me learning the ropes that bit quicker.

Keep it up everyone and as a thankyou I've decided that when I've released my 5th platinum selling album i'll split the proceeds with you lot

:D

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Gtrance wrote:Thats what I love about forum's like this one. I put a post and not only do i get answers to what I ask but loads of extra advice, help and suggestions which all contributes to me learning the ropes that bit quicker.

Keep it up everyone and as a thankyou I've decided that when I've released my 5th platinum selling album i'll split the proceeds with you lot

:D
I'm holding you to that homie