Mixing songs outside of Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dai

Mixing songs outside of Live

Post by Dai » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Say for example, I produce a song in Live 5, and then I want to give it to someone to mix professionally, how would I do this?
Do you bounce down each track individually?
How do you ensure the tracks are perfectly sync'd up when mixing?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question!

Dai

Post by Dai » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Anyone able to answer this basic question for me?

Nod

Post by Nod » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:07 pm

Dai wrote:Anyone able to answer this basic question for me?
Yeah dude - the easiest way, until the Abe's implement discrete multi channel rendering :D, is to select the entire range of your arrangement and render one track at a time. Just make sure that you always select the same start point - hence it's best just to start from the beginning - and that'll solve any sync issues.

However I have noticed that tracks 'exported' from Live into another host such as PT or Nuendo are all 'moved late' by approx 20ms IIRC - not a problem if your just straight engineering but something to remember if your then trying to sync click tracks, MIDI, SMPTE or anything else.

Personally I'll also 'print' non-recreatable effects and automation. And to ensure that you get the maximum dynamic range from each channel ie: if your fader is at -40db for the Live mix then bring it up until just before clipping to get the most out of it.

Hope this helps....

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:43 pm

yupp, render it in stems. all used tracks. keep the levels in the green. (during recording)
and make shure that all stems have the same beginning... e.g. bar 1.1.1 even if the sound is only appearing ones in the track, say a special crash or whatever.

i say this because i don't know how live renders single stems, haven't used it for that yet!, but it is importtant that all stems have the excact same start point, as you don't (the mix engineer) have a template for your arrangement.

cheers.

RobAcid

Post by RobAcid » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:15 pm

in my studio, i often mix trax from other people.

mostly i like getting 4 stereo streams with drums,bass,perc,rest or somthing like this.
sometimes i get all channels seperatly to mix them here complete.

i use analog outboard and a analog summingbox.

check www.robertbabicz.de if you like...

kenn michael

Post by kenn michael » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:07 pm

i create a new audio track for every current track in the session...

example. let's say i have 12 audio tracks and 8 vst instruments... i'll make 20 new audio tracks, and set the input of each of those tracks to the output of one of the original tracks.

now, i have 20 audio tracks that are being fed the output of all the original tracks.

i go to the beginning of the song, record arm the new 20 tracks and hit record. i'm playing down the whole song while recording all my 'stems' in one pass.

take the new audio files and import them into your mixing DAW.