Thoughts on G5 vs. MacTel

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:55 pm

sweetjesus wrote:i heard a few days ago that apple have a special surprise within the next week or two.
thats prob just going to be some nice little ipod products and the new intel mini

boatie

Post by boatie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:39 pm

maybe they are going to make their computers cheaper? that would be a surprise...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:51 pm

boatie wrote:maybe they are going to make their computers cheaper? that would be a surprise...
Probably not, Intel chips actually cost them about twice as much as PPC chips. I have a friend who works in hardware there.

kenn michael

Post by kenn michael » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:51 pm

boatie wrote:maybe they are going to make their computers cheaper? that would be a surprise...
well, that would be an intel mini...

the Apple new laptops are priced very similarly to equal spec'd Dell laptops

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:30 pm

whatever line of laptops that take over the old ibooks will be at price points from $900-1499. imacs cost around the same, anything cheaper then u got the mini.

p.s your friends an idiot.

bonomius

Post by bonomius » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:55 pm

i think the new macmini will only have intel core single
but a dualcore will make me very happy.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:15 am

sweetjesus wrote:i heard a few days ago that apple have a special surprise within the next week or two.
look up. :wink:
polyslax wrote:There is some speculation which you've all probably read that the Feb 28th Apple media event will expand on the available Intel line... maybe iBooks, maybe towers?. Guess we'll see on Tuesday.
Image Image

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:38 am

Digi V wrote: p.s your friends an idiot.
It's common knowledge among PC types that Intel charges more for their chips, so it didn't surprise me at all to hear that Apple were paying more for Intel chips than PPC, but if you want to live in a reality distortion field forever, so be it. :?

PS what are you 15? :roll:

alan*

Post by alan* » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:41 am

bonomius wrote:i think the new macmini will only have intel core single
but a dualcore will make me very happy.
If they are putting dual cores in the macbooks, why wouldn't they put them in the minis ? i couldn't see them bringing out a single core mini ?
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:21 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Digi V wrote: p.s your friends an idiot.
It's common knowledge among PC types that Intel charges more for their chips, so it didn't surprise me at all to hear that Apple were paying more for Intel chips than PPC, but if you want to live in a reality distortion field forever, so be it. :?

PS what are you 15? :roll:

the point of my comment was towards the fact that G4 chips hasn't required any new R&D nor sufficient speed increases.

it wasn't directed at the fact THAT intel chips are more expensive. i just keep hearing these stupid comments left and right.

sorry if i seem like i get angry,

i cant wait till vista comes out and starts sporting their new Windows Flip3d
and all other futures they love to snatch from linux and osx.

ahhh well

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:16 am

Digi V wrote:the point of my comment was towards the fact that G4 chips hasn't required any new R&D nor sufficient speed increases.

it wasn't directed at the fact THAT intel chips are more expensive. i just keep hearing these stupid comments left and right.

sorry if i seem like i get angry,

i cant wait till vista comes out and starts sporting their new Windows Flip3d
and all other futures they love to snatch from linux and osx.

ahhh well
That's Ok, but really, just because you personally put together that Intel chips would be more expensive doesn't mean others have. Usually in a Capitalism the largest manufacturer, with the highest percentage of product in a given market, ( home PC's in this case ), will undersell the competition. Intel just don't play like that.

Given that though, the quad G5 is probably the last in line of that series, it's also hard to beat in pure power if your software can recognize all four CPUs! Funniest part about that is Logic doesn't recognize all four right now without a very limiting work around, but Digital Performer, according to their tech support, does. So DP on a quad is probably the most powerful native DAW combination out there right now! Including PC set ups! :)

The sad fact is the DP crowd are a bunch of benchmark pussies, after years of logic trouncing them, so I can't really confirm whether the tech guy is on the mark. It's a really small company though, all he would probably have to do is walk across the office to the DP coders and ask.

Ok back on track... PPC is not just G4, G5's are good chips, they just don't fit into laptops, and the market is driven by laptop and dual core integration, so Intel is a better choice.
I expect windows to copy mac, they always have, probably always will. My friend at Apple basically describes them as being like a very large battleship, tough as hell, but speed and mobility aren't their thing. All they can do is copy what works, or buy the technology, not lead the way.

Anyway thanks for clarifying your reasons for saying something silly like that. :)

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:41 am

yeah, sometimes i get annoyed, thats all.

people dont realize comparing dells (bargin base computers) vs apple computers is comitting a fallacy. compare an apple computer to a sony. weight, style, durability, look, it all factors into price as wel.

a lot of people just like to number crunch.

g5s' are def great chips but like you said their too hot for mobile use. IBM says they can decrease the power per watt use but i doubt it, they've struggled so hard with it.

apple will def benefit from Intels economics of scale even though it seems intel charges more.

that battle ship analogy is a good way to put it.

vista will bring us similiar user interfaces like OSX, similar administration controls as linux, and prob some entertainment apps like OSX as well.

i haven't really heard of much of anything that they have incorporated into Vista that hasn't been done elsewhere.