Röyksopp

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Röyksopp

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:28 am

Ever since I got into Live I have sort of lost the ability to flip out over music like I used to. I sort of saturated myself by immediately doing more than I expected could be possible. Then I mashed it up and pitch changed it.

Now after a couple years of dedicated skooling and very little play, my brain has allowed me "dig" a band again.

Holy mother of god!

Sitting here with my brand new sony MDR-7506 headphones, feeling the cosmically-panned flavor that is Röyksopp, feeling like I just hitched a ride on an enormous space monilith near Jupiter...

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:50 am

Any particular disc/track you'd recommend? I've heard of them but never listened to them.
Image Image

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:20 am

they got some pretty cool remixes goin on especially one by Vitalic.

Daduk

Post by Daduk » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:28 am

WARNING!!!

I feel you about their music, it's definatly special and poetic.

BUT never ever go and see them live, all your fantasies will be gone within the first couple of tracks, Live performing is just something some people should leave to the ones who have that special touch and feel the public... It's definatly not showing that you do play the drums live without any sense!!!

Their music is special and I am still a fan but did not like their live perormance...tha's all.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:33 am

yeah agreed

i think one of the best performers i've seen live are marilyn manson, garbage & the chemical brothers.

Daduk

Post by Daduk » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 am

Underworld!

forgie

Post by forgie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:45 pm

I like some of their tracks, haven't heard their albums. There was a killer dance remix going around this summer in Australia....

As for Chemical Brothers, I've never seen such a passive "performance" live before or since. Two dudes at laptops. That was basically it as far as I could tell.... great songs obviously, but it sounded like a subtle variation on their album tracks, nothing seriously changed....

tokyojoe69

Post by tokyojoe69 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Hey LOFA

How are those cans of yours, I've had my eye on them for a while now, they seem realy good, I've only read good reviews, but I'm struggling to justify if it's such a major step up from something like the Sennheiser hd280 which is much cheaper.

Cheers
Emil

/.

Post by /. » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:28 pm

great band röyksopp is, have anybody succeeded with getting the tempo/setting warpers on a higher place track, i tryed several times, but it always went offbeat..

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:28 pm

I think their first record is FAR better than their second. Not sure if there were any others before the one with Poor Leno.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:08 pm

polyslax wrote:Any particular disc/track you'd recommend? I've heard of them but never listened to them.
sweetjesus wrote:they got some pretty cool remixes goin on especially one by Vitalic.
forgie wrote:I like some of their tracks, haven't heard their albums. There was a killer dance remix going around this summer in Australia....

As for Chemical Brothers, I've never seen such a passive "performance" live before or since. Two dudes at laptops. That was basically it as far as I could tell.... great songs obviously, but it sounded like a subtle variation on their album tracks, nothing seriously changed....
I've been listening to an older album that a former bandmate left on my computer, the one wit poor leno, and yeah it's all these remixes that are killing me!

It's two bad the performance is weak, but at least the music isn't. I was really wondering about that. I really liked that remix of a newer beck track they did so I have been checking this original material out even more closely. Wow.
nebulae wrote:I think their first record is FAR better than their second. Not sure if there were any others before the one with Poor Leno.
I wonder if their newer stuff is weaker because they are trying to remedy the whole live performance issue? I am going to buy it.
tokyojoe69 wrote:Hey LOFA

How are those cans of yours, I've had my eye on them for a while now, they seem realy good, I've only read good reviews, but I'm struggling to justify if it's such a major step up from something like the Sennheiser hd280 which is much cheaper.

Cheers
Emil
My bandmate is far more knowledgable about such things and I tried his to monitor while playing drums in a very portable setup we were trying. After two sessions I bought them. Wish I could speak from more experience but they really feel worth the money!

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:21 pm

nebulae wrote:I think their first record is FAR better than their second. Not sure if there were any others before the one with Poor Leno.
YESS!!

POOR LENO!!

EPLE

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:29 pm

I especially liked that phone convo sample between the first and second song on the record, where they were getting sexually turned on by discussing filter cuts and frequencies. I bet we can all relate to that...

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:38 pm

nebulae wrote:I especially liked that phone convo sample between the first and second song on the record, where they were getting sexually turned on by discussing filter cuts and frequencies. I bet we can all relate to that...
Hahaha, yes. That little exchange makes me giggle like a schoolgirl every time I hear it. :lol:

acileli

Post by acileli » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Daduk wrote:WARNING!!!

I feel you about their music, it's definatly special and poetic.

BUT never ever go and see them live, all your fantasies will be gone within the first couple of tracks, Live performing is just something some people should leave to the ones who have that special touch and feel the public... It's definatly not showing that you do play the drums live without any sense!!!

Their music is special and I am still a fan but did not like their live perormance...tha's all.
Man, that's too bad, they're one of the few bands out there that I DID want to see play live. But I know exactlt what you mean, I've seen plenty of shows from bands that I used to revere but after seeing them live was only left with a sense of ehh.

I listened to Royksopp incesantly for months to the point of burnout, and I was looking for a similiar alternative. Came upon Boards of Canada and I'm in awe once again.