Live5 should come with a warning that it mostly doesn't work

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamesp

Post by jamesp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:18 pm

I have met the enemy and it was my 1.5GHz P4. :twisted:

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:38 pm

These posts are getting lame. My copy has worked from day one.
dito

womoma

Post by womoma » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:38 pm

Live 5 doesnt work??

Live 5 doesnt work??

FORGET ABOUT THE GALGAMEKS????

rasputin

Friendly advice...

Post by rasputin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:46 pm

captain4 wrote:this is fun, i just managed to upset every 5 user out there, but to tell the truth about the whole subject, I do still think ableton should have waited to get the kinks out of 5, my setup hasn't changed in the slightest, except for my upgrade from 4 to 5 (legit copies by the way) and for long sessions working on a project it is unreliable, in my current setup. so what I'm saying is only my opinion, and you can just disagree with me it's only what i've experienced myself, I've been a live user since V3 so I'm not just making it up, please understand that, for all it's worth Live is a fantastic product but I'm not happy with version 5.It's not going to stop me using the product but it will stop me working with 5 until it is as stable (for me) as 4 is. Try and understand I use other setups that aren't troublesome over a long period, thats all I'm saying, anywho carry on.....
Fix your computer. Or get a new one.
No software is perfect but you have to reflect why only 1% of people are reporting problems as serious as yours. Do you think perhaps it might be YOUR SYSTEM rather than LIVE, *could it*? Food for thought...
I personally never use Live live, only as a DAW, but except for the slightly higher CPU load and a little longer startup time, it has been solid as a rock for me since I upgraded. I still have a few Live 4 files around and occasionally fire that version up, but in general a few new v5 features are enough to keep me using it.
The rumors in the beta threads about 5.2 starting up faster than 5.0.x are encouraging to me.

nolus

Re: Friendly advice...

Post by nolus » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:09 pm

rasputin wrote:only 1% of people are reporting problems as serious as yours.
Apparently 98.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :)
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

captain4

Post by captain4 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:20 pm

nolus wrote:
I only find that statement 42% true.Given a collection of data, statistics may be employed to summarize or describe the data; this use is called descriptive statistics. In addition, patterns in the data may be modeled, in a way that accounts for randomness and uncertainty in the observations, in order to draw inferences about the larger population; this use is called inferential statistics. Both of these uses may be termed applied statistics. There is also a discipline of mathematical statistics concerned with the theoretical basis of the subject.
(D. Adams 1979 and 1992)
:wink:

nolus

Post by nolus » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:39 pm

captain4 wrote:
nolus wrote:
I only find that statement 42% true.Given a collection of data, statistics may be employed to summarize or describe the data; this use is called descriptive statistics. In addition, patterns in the data may be modeled, in a way that accounts for randomness and uncertainty in the observations, in order to draw inferences about the larger population; this use is called inferential statistics. Both of these uses may be termed applied statistics. There is also a discipline of mathematical statistics concerned with the theoretical basis of the subject.
(D. Adams 1979 and 1992)
:wink:
Douglas Adams had things pretty well sussed IMO 8) .
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

D K

Post by D K » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:56 pm

i'm just curious as to if the folks who have lost entire projects have ever thought of backing up their data as they work?
no matter what software you use, i believe it should be part of your standard workflow.
ok, on with the show....

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:57 pm

I had major problems with LIve 5 when I bought it. I was using Live Lite 4 for a while when I bought my Trigger Finger, and it worked great. Got Live 5 upgrade and suddenly it stopped working. It would load up, but if i ever used any othe rprogram, Live 5 would disappear and not come back, but still be running in Processes... Then, after a while of that, it would not even load up visually, just in Processes.. Pissed me off royally and I thought I threw my money away. I decided to try one thing though. I moved my Plugins folder somewhere else so Live didn't see it. it loaded up and worked flawlessly. I realised it was some buggy free VSTs I downloaded from the KVR forum.

Try moving your plugins to a different folder and see what happens. Then clean up the crap you never use that might be unstable and see if that works. Good luck. Even with all the frustration at the begining, I am extremely happy with the purchase :D
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

radeon

Post by radeon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:23 pm

hambone1 wrote:I personally don't give a damn being called a 'fanboy.' And I WISH I was on Ableton's payroll!

Five works for me. It has since 5.0. I've built my entire business around it. Yes, I wish it was faster. Yes, I wish it had more features. It will. For now, I do what I can do with it.

I work to the limitation of the tools. When they're more capable, I'll do more.
you only use live to play other people music one track at a time. Of course it workings for you I could get the very first daw to play back one file at a time. You is a fanboy and you have bad smeel because you make yourslef blind to facts.

As I say many times IT IS NOT BUGS. It si spiss bad performance so you can all deny so much as you like I hav ethree computer and Live play shit on all of them BUT I live with it now and pray that six can be better performance

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:32 pm

Radeon - I wouldn't brag about not being able to get Live running smoothly on none of 3 computers, people might think you're not very bright.

They might...

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:35 pm

Radeon - FYI, my current set has 12 audio tracks, including live Impulse percussion, and 96 MIDI lighting and video tracks. And it works without a problem, even with all 108 tracks playing. I do wish the interface was quicker, though.

What's this bad 'smeel' that you get when you make yourself blind to facts?

band-x

Post by band-x » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:42 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:Radeon - I wouldn't brag about not being able to get Live running smoothly on none of 3 computers, people might think you're not very bright.

They might...
lmfao

Maybes only about 56.8%. The other 14.3% might agree.

BTW, I've been running Live since 4 and never had any problems that werent to do with hardware or software limitations (that ARENT bugs). I've even got the BETA running on an intel iMac and guess what...still no problems. My god, that machines only 2 months old, imagine how it will sit ina platform that's been Native for 5 years.

just my 5 cents.

BTW, if I had every 5 cents that gets chucked around this forum, I could buy another hoody from Ableton. Please everyone, chuck some more in and I'll buy everyone them.

:lol:

radeon

Post by radeon » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 am

hambone1 wrote:Radeon - FYI, my current set has 12 audio tracks, including live Impulse percussion, and 96 MIDI lighting and video tracks. And it works without a problem, even with all 108 tracks playing. I do wish the interface was quicker, though.

What's this bad 'smeel' that you get when you make yourself blind to facts?
Yes 12 audio track at the same time? if this is true I would never book you for wedding becasue the peopels there are not there for you it is other way around.
Tell me mores on your wedding dj set I am interest what you do more but expalining it all dont just say one thing go for detales.
It is me that has bad smeel :wink:

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:00 am

I sometime have more than 12 audio tracks w/plug ins etc and everything is running smooth as silk here...