Small analog mixer recommendation?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hambone1

Small analog mixer recommendation?

Post by hambone1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:47 pm

When I'm doing smaller DJ gigs, I don't feel like dragging my Yamaha 01V around. (I also need a backup for the 01V.) I'm just planning on using my iBook built-in audio out into a smaller analog mixer, then to my powered speakers. I'll still use the BCR2000 for levels, cross-fading, launching tracks, scrolling, etc. I need a single mic input, and basic digital FX for for the mic. I use my iPod for an emergency no-computer backup, so I'll plug that into the mixer, too. 2 mic inputs and 2 pairs of line inputs is enough.

Any recommendations? (No Behringer, please!) The Alesis MultiMix 6FX looks useful. Anyone using one?

amo

Post by amo » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Hi Hambone,

I love my mackie VLZ. No Fx though, and beware, old generation is fine, but newer generation is build in china and doesn't sound the same at all (they say). So, you could get a 1402 vlz pretty cheap those days... Very good sound for the size and price, methink.

Cheers,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

minimal

Post by minimal » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:29 pm

amo wrote:Hi Hambone,

I love my mackie VLZ. No Fx though, and beware, old generation is fine, but newer generation is build in china and doesn't sound the same at all (they say). So, you could get a 1402 vlz pretty cheap those days... Very good sound for the size and price, methink.

Cheers,
amo
word for mackie VLZ...had one years ago, very good and rock solid mixer. disappointed by the highly acclaimed Perkins EQs of the new Onyx serie anyway. it looked interesting because of the firewire options but I'll go for an old like amo said.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:58 pm

I got rid of my Mackie 1604 when I bought the 01V.

The VLZs are more than I need, and the effects will come in useful. I'm not overly concerned about pristine sound quality... I'm using the iBook built-in audio!

Anyone got a Mackie DFX-6?