Live Audio Quality

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:04 am

"the complete music solution for mac and pc"
so you think a better marketing ploy would be:

"It's oK, we've heard better though".

:oops:

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:31 am

njh wrote:
siddhu wrote:
chrispnyc wrote:MrYellow - why 'yawn?' This is a pretty important topic if you ask me.

Did I miss something?
This topic comes up every month!

:wink:
then its obviously a HUGE problem. live are still calling there sequencer "the complete music solution for mac and pc" if the sound quality is messed up then it isnt complete is it? again there is a HUGE problem with lives audio i will not buy live 6 unless it gets fixed. live is great to make music in i love everything about it except the audio quality but, as live sits right now it is nothing more than a toy.
the problem is people aren't reading the SEVERAL old threads, which not only discuss this subject but CONCLUDE it as well.

one word folks, and i'm amazed it hasn't yet popped up in this thread:

warping.

now please, its all been discussed, debaed, theorized before ad-nauseum.
check out the old threads because this is getting old.

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:38 am

Your right AdamJay Warping is an ARTFORM in it self, if I'm reading you right. It took me untill Live 5 came out to really grasp and somewhat master warping, I started with Live 4. Yeah Yeah the Autowarping helped but I still had to learn how to fix the Auto bugs.

I find myself duplicating so many tracks (Drums, BAss, leads) just to get that big production quality and much more than duplicating. I believe someone else said it before that its so easy to overload Ableton's Volume and overloading Digital sounds like Crap(brittle) I wish Live had volume number(decibal) readouts to the side like Cubase, Pro Tools and others.

It takes alot of work but with the right tools and skill Ableton can sound Clean and WArm to the EAR.

Later
Dustin

njh

Post by njh » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:09 am

AdamJay wrote:
njh wrote:
siddhu wrote: This topic comes up every month!

then its obviously a HUGE problem. live are still calling there sequencer "the complete music solution for mac and pc" if the sound quality is messed up then it isnt complete is it? again there is a HUGE problem with lives audio i will not buy live 6 unless it gets fixed. live is great to make music in i love everything about it except the audio quality but, as live sits right now it is nothing more than a toy.
the problem is people aren't reading the SEVERAL old threads, which not only discuss this subject but CONCLUDE it as well.

warping.

hmm im shure thats the problem thanks!!!!
oh btw
i i dont warp anything.... thanks again for your help bud....................
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:33 am

you're most welcome.
this forum is a wealth of pre-existing knowledge, just waiting to be tapped.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:32 am

Set the gain to the same level and you shouldn't hear any difference.
Unless you're changing the tempo and what you're hearing is warping.

-Ben

jethrosipho

Post by jethrosipho » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:39 pm

What Adam is referring to is this: Turn warping off and Live has the same sound quality as logic/sonar/DP/Cubase/pro tools, etc.. Differences you are hearing are due to panning law and default DB settings on the master fader, as well as differences between floating point/ fixed point bitrate.
J

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:32 pm

jethrosipho wrote:Differences you are hearing are due to panning law and default DB settings on the master fader, as well as differences between floating point/ fixed point bitrate.
J

Which is all a bunch of horseshit. If you can really tell the difference between different daws (using the same audio interface, of course) your ears are better than 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

jethrosipho

Post by jethrosipho » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:54 pm

100% agree, could care less about these things when making music, just debunking the "this DAW sounds better than that one" myth.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:09 pm

I learn something new everyday - what you're saying is to keep the levels not at Unity Gain? there's tracks I turn down and others I turn up

but I never once did the turn all faders down and then turn them back up to mix thing I've heard about

cool
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:13 pm

jethrosipho wrote:Differences you are hearing are due to panning law and default DB settings on the master fader, as well as differences between floating point/ fixed point bitrate.
J
I think the key thing beyond all those is the windowing, most of the timestretch (warp) methods Live uses are variants on the SOLA algo, which is a time windowing or granular algo. Nice and CPU light but 'burbly' .
The 'complex'mode is a frequency domain stretch which introduces transient blurring.

so what you hear are artifacts from whatever warp mode you have on . if you can hear a translation from fixed to floating point at 0db through that warp-artifacting process you are really managing something!

I think the older beats/tones stretches were recently improved to reduce artifacts at the same bpm as source.

Like alot of old-timers have said though :
Most people who claim they hear bad things simply drop a 90bpm loop into a 120 bpm track and start to complain!

radeon

Post by radeon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:35 pm

AdamJay wrote:
njh wrote:
siddhu wrote: This topic comes up every month!

warping.

You are silly man and not takings new poeples who are not so easy able to get information on Live internal mixers. It is not in operate manul and the search on this forum is not good to work becasue you have to knows the 100% name to bring up somethinks like this subject.
SO I asky YOU to please stop acted like you are special veteran in music and mixing and let peoples discus what they want to discus.
I get tired of old forum user who thinkings they have roights more than other users.

So what is internal headrooms of Live in exact because IT DOES overloads easy so I thinks this is important.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm

radeon, please quit with your dilusions.

all i am saying is if you want answers, you will get them faster by finding them in already existing threads from 6 months ago than by asking the same question 3 and 4 times.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:42 pm

Radeon,
still persisting with the fake language, what happened to your new pseudonym - forget the login for that momentarily did you?

how is that MV 8000, still awsome?
or has it become "me is thinky very gooding?"
radeon wrote:I recently purchased an Akai MPC400. A few weeks later I swapped it for a Roland MV 8000. AWESOME I TELL YA. I intended to use it for drums and some keyboard samples but have ended up writing all my music on this awesome beast. It can do anythng Live can maybe even better. The best thing is the feel of the pads triggering samples without any delay I can now feel what Im programming. Its so good I might be selling my copy of live 5.
I want to keep live 4. Can I do that?

radeon

Post by radeon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:56 pm

MR Angstrom you can thinks what you like but I give you an idea to do for yourslefs.
go away and dont bothers me I knows that what I say will always be picked on by old forum users and I will nevers join in your little silly clubs. I have trying to get better english and I say this now I WRITINGS LIKE I TALK IN LIFE
I writings on other forum and opnly peopels in this one make fools of me for my bad english so you are the sad lonely peopels with no life and heavy drink and drugs problems not me

:lol: