The most over-rated music artists

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:07 am

what's the point of arguing ? it's just taste.
you think The Clash is great, I think it hasn't stood the test of time. The 2 first albums particularly give'em... are easily forgetable, London calling has 5 good tracks, Sandinista is boring, the magnificent 7, is the worse "try-to-be-funky" track I've ever heard, and I hear it way too often.
The bassline sounds like Bernard Edwards' good time quantized at the quarter note.
By the last album I'd given up.
You're refering to nostalgia.

Anyway you're not going to change anybody's taste by saying "no you're wrong , they're not under-rated and you have shitty tastes"

I love the Beatles, they are the most influential band in rock-pop, be it for songs, recording techniques, concepts, even for people who don't like their music, but here's a place for people to say they feel they're over-rated. I don't think that means the band is crap, it's just they're tired of hearing references to a band they don't particularly like, so what ?

just give your list and accept other people's taste.
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:11 am

The most overrated artist is van gogh, please! Had to chop chop on the ol' ear to get attention....... :lol: :lol:

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:37 am

eyeknow wrote:The most overrated artist is van gogh, please! Had to chop chop on the ol' ear to get attention....... :lol: :lol:
that's the spirit ! :lol:

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 am

new kids on the block
britny spears
color me bad

milli vanilli takes the cake but i feel bad that guy killed himself after being exposed fake
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:43 am

Now, you don't mean a one of the two dudes offed himself, do you?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:30 pm

this thread has really bugged me, like a few people said - it's all about taste and everyones' is different.

but then, I remembered ....

Lenny Kravitz

I'm curious to know if anyone here likes the 'music' of lenny kravitz or can defend him in any way. I can't think of a redeeming feature.
Perhaps we can all agree that Lenny Kravitz is the supreme overlord of all things lame and over-rated.

2bad

Post by 2bad » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:33 pm

Right Said Fred
Shaking Stevens
Chas n Dave
James Cunt

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:36 pm

despite the fact that most of his songs are really really close to other peoples riffs -

the dude can and does play most every instrument on his albums.

is that positive? i dunno.

im gonn have to disagree about Van Gogh. i think he may have been mentally ill but the man could both draw and paint, and later in hiis life when he was nearly blind from absynth was painting up some crazy textured work.
second class robot

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:29 pm

eisnein wrote: im gonn have to disagree about Van Gogh. i think he may have been mentally ill but the man could both draw and paint, and later in hiis life when he was nearly blind from absynth was painting up some crazy textured work.
it's a joke, man !

Lenny Kravitz, I do like some of his tracks. Freedom train, let love rules when it came out was like an authorization to love the 70's again after the horrible 80's waves of coldness and mechanic dancing that unfortunately has made a come back.
But I wouldn't say he's over-rated as he's always been the target of mockery which balances things. There's always a good track or riff in each of his album, although I haven't heard good stuff since he cut his hair.

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:50 pm

The funny thing about Lenny Kravitz is that his prior stage name was "Romeo Blue" and he failed at the art of Rn'B crooning. Enter rock n' roll.
While I agree that he can play guitar (even slash says so - and don't f*with slash!) I'm pretty certain he's past his prime.
I'm not attacking the ability to reinvent one's self, musically, but Lenny went from a bad wanna-be Prince to a dreadlocked rocker seemingly overnight.
Whatever, he sure did a whole hell of a lot more than me!
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

HD1

Post by HD1 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:16 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:Ropey - that has NOTHING to do with the actual MUSIC. :roll:
heh, and I'm getting tired of your frequent condesent. The topic is over rated music artists, not soley over rated music as you suggest. Its the artists up for critique by my understanding of the english language - but feel free to judge the music too - its an obvious way to praise or criticise an artist through the art itself - infact its the noose by which I intend to hang lars ulrich, my point remains valid as you'll notice my post was not centred on music, but of the ideas, actions and integrity of the artists who made the music. Because thats what the topic is, and thats how I replied. :roll:

i listened to metallica, bought their cds and went to their concerts. All in the early days, pre-black era. After lars did what he did on behalf of the band, every chord they ever played and every word they ever sang turned to shit. You say its 'about the music duh :roll: ' ...but when the music is anti establishment and the artist is a money grabbing whore setting -MASSIVE- precedents in law and snitching on 600,000 kids who buy his tatty merchandise ....well YOU are the naive one if you still respect the music - the music is a lie, its an obvious fraud, and hypocritical. So the artist is a tosser, and thats 100% valid in this thread, maybe you should read the topic twice before criticising my perspective ? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:46 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm curious to know if anyone here likes the 'music' of lenny kravitz or can defend him in any way. I can't think of a redeeming feature.
heh was just responding to that. i guess i was defending Van Gogh out of the same state of mind and without prior to coffee otherwise i wouldnt have said "may have been insane". the dude was mentally unstable. and awesome.

btw someone said Moby right? :roll:

hey cant we start a thread of least credited musicians? underrated? lets give some strength to the underdog!
second class robot

Farr

Post by Farr » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:29 pm

Coldplay without a doubt.

i wish those bedwetters would just retire.
Farr
iBook 1GHz, 40 Gig HD, 768MB RAM, M-AUDIO Firewire 410, Remote25, Trigger Finger, Live 4, Rickenbacker 330, 1962 VOX AC-30.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:36 pm

ultrasource wrote:While I agree that he can play guitar (even slash says so - and don't f*with slash!) I'm pretty certain he's past his prime.
If the old rumor I heard is true, Slash and Lenny grew up together playing guitar... damn, could you imagine their weed intake? I dig Lenny for his riff oriented guitar playing, but yeah, he's put out some crap albums. Did you know he wrote Justify My Love for Madonna?

Ropey - 'Condescension' is the word and yes, my writing style can lead to that, I suggest that you ignore me, I can be a total asshole. I read something, it strikes an off note, I think about it too much and it comes out in black and white, I'm not a writer, I'm a nerd (I'm a joker, I'm a midnight toker). Your reply clearly demonstrated that you're not above such faults yourself (jokes and tokes aside). Why do you think Radeon singled you out to argue with all the time? Do you think you can also come across a little too strong sometimes (and the namecalling, wtf?! grow up, you don't know me). All respect due, this is a forum for a hobby, there's nothing serious about it. Arguing on the web is, well, an old cliche'.

IMO Lars should be in the rock and roll hall of fame (if he's not already) as one of the best drummers of all time. Metallica of old still exists, it's burned into billions of CDs, tapes and vinyl captured forever, today's indiscretions shouldn't take that away. If you can't still listen to Ride The Lightning and want to tear the fucking roof off your house, then I guess you got too old too quick.

Lars did the right thing to put his foot down on Napster. Musicians get screwed by the industry, their fans shouldn't also be screwing them over.

My point is that there's a line where what the artist does off stage effects how their music sounds and that's bullshit, it leads to overrated boy bands and has led to some artists being ousted by society for even the smallest personal indiscretions (Pee Wee Herman comes to mind).

I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread... I didn't get your point until I read the 18th :roll:, that really drove it home :lol:

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:36 pm

Farr wrote:Coldplay without a doubt.

i wish those bedwetters would just retire.
LMFAO!!!!!