Missing Lessons

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tbone_us

Missing Lessons

Post by tbone_us » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:21 pm

I feel quite stupid asking this but I have no lessons in the my docs folder (must have deleted them by mistake in an attempt to clear the druge from my harddrive). Are they available on the webiste for download? or do I have to reinstall the whole app to get them back? Can you re-install overa previous instalation without it affecting the program?

Any advice would be greatfully received.

amo

Post by amo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:59 pm

Hi,

The lesson folder normally sits in the Live Library, along with the clips, preset and so on folders. To see them in Live, just select "lesson" from the view menu.
Have you really deleted the folder ?

cheers,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

tbone_us

Post by tbone_us » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:36 pm

Yep, looks like I have! The folder is there (along with the others) but their is no data beyond that so when I click on lesson in the view menu live just tells me their is no data their.

Thanks anyway, maybe 5.2 will have the complete folders when I install that. I just didn't want to upset the rest of my instalation (which is working ok) just to get the lessons.

--m--

Post by --m-- » Mon May 15, 2006 2:19 am

Good i'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem.

I'd really like to go over the lessons again after having dl'd the 5.2 update, and the files simply aren't there.

I've since completely uninstalled Live and redownloaded it, and reinstalled it, and no lesson files.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--m--

Post by --m-- » Mon May 15, 2006 2:26 am

Edit - ok, i've found a way around this.... very weird, but you have to load up 5.0 and find the lesson files buried somewhere in the recesses of the ableton folders.

They're there, but i found them only through doing a random search.

Why aren't they loaded, and more importantly, generally available in version 5.2?

EDIT - heh heh - yeah another edit.
Seems as though the patches on the Simpler have vanished as well.
nice.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon May 15, 2006 3:26 am

On a similar note, I lost my Operator presets when i upgraded from 5.03 to 5.2. After a lot of faffing around, I eventually trashed everything on my computer (library, app, pref) related to Live and reinstalled - this did the trick for me.

This came as a suggestion from the Abes themselves so if you've still not had any luck I suggest you get in touch with them directly.

--m--

Post by --m-- » Mon May 15, 2006 3:32 am

dazzer wrote:On a similar note, I lost my Operator presets when i upgraded from 5.03 to 5.2. After a lot of faffing around, I eventually trashed everything on my computer (library, app, pref) related to Live and reinstalled - this did the trick for me.

This came as a suggestion from the Abes themselves so if you've still not had any luck I suggest you get in touch with them directly.
Yeah i just emailed them.

Since then i now have noticed that there is nothing in the Operator AND Simpler presets, and there is nothing in the Audio and Midi Effects groups folders either.

I've now done a complete uninstall and wipe 3 times over this evening, and reinstalled, to no benefit. I'm not one to bitch, but this is annoying to say the least.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon May 15, 2006 5:29 am

hello,

I will answer you here so the information can be useful to others:

1. Go to the Preferences, and see what Packs are installed there. The packs that are installed by default are:
"Live 5 essentials", "Live 5 lessons", "Live 5 Demo songs" and "Operator".

2. If you see them installed, select them one by one and click the "Uninstall" button, to uninstall them all.

3. Then select "Search for more Live Packs", and the uninstalled Packs will be listed again and marked as "Uninstalled", select them one by one and click the "Install" button.

If the uninstall doesn't work for some reason, locate the Library on the computer and manually delete it. It should be located here (please back up any personnal presets or clips you may have added to the Library first):

Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents\Ableton\Library

Mac: user homefolder/library/application support/ableton/library

Then repeat step 3.

Hope that helps,
kind regards,

Amaury

PS: there are additionnal Packs that you can download and install from our website, at the bottom of that page:

http://www.ableton.com/index/downloads
Ableton Product Team

--m--

Post by --m-- » Mon May 15, 2006 11:35 pm

Amaury wrote:hello,

I will answer you here so the information can be useful to others:

1. Go to the Preferences, and see what Packs are installed there. The packs that are installed by default are:
"Live 5 essentials", "Live 5 lessons", "Live 5 Demo songs" and "Operator".

2. If you see them installed, select them one by one and click the "Uninstall" button, to uninstall them all.

3. Then select "Search for more Live Packs", and the uninstalled Packs will be listed again and marked as "Uninstalled", select them one by one and click the "Install" button.

If the uninstall doesn't work for some reason, locate the Library on the computer and manually delete it. It should be located here (please back up any personnal presets or clips you may have added to the Library first):

Windows: C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents\Ableton\Library

Mac: user homefolder/library/application support/ableton/library

Then repeat step 3.

Hope that helps,
kind regards,

Amaury

PS: there are additionnal Packs that you can download and install from our website, at the bottom of that page:

http://www.ableton.com/index/downloads
Beautiful - that helped immensely.

Incidentally, nothing was installed automatically(by default) except Live 5 itself. Not sure why that would be, but its something worth knowing for you programming dudes to look into I guess.

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:30 pm

me too! i was getting a bit frustrated trying to find the non-existant lessons and things...

forums rule =)