Gigastudio vs Kontakt

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cache

Gigastudio vs Kontakt

Post by Cache » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:41 am

Anyone got experience with both? comments?

i read Kontakt has a lot of bugs.
but Gigastudio doesn't work with Athlon 64 (nor HT)

the new Gigastudio plugin is out now GVI. might be worth considering. i couldn't see if it had any sample libraries with it though.

Kontakt gives you 15GB
Gigastudio (ensemble) gives 10GB.

choices, choices.
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/1800cachecall
myspace.com/autonomousunit
myspace.com/kinesicla
myspace.com/pocketonfridays

njh

Re: Gigastudio vs Kontakt

Post by njh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:22 am

Cache wrote:Anyone got experience with both? comments?

i read Kontakt has a lot of bugs.
but Gigastudio doesn't work with Athlon 64 (nor HT)

the new Gigastudio plugin is out now GVI. might be worth considering. i couldn't see if it had any sample libraries with it though.

Kontakt gives you 15GB
Gigastudio (ensemble) gives 10GB.

choices, choices.
cracks cracks.

/.

Post by /. » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:01 am

kontakt 2 is too damn slow if you load some gig files, but in general has some cool functions..
but maybe 3 ghz is not enough..

wd8dky

Post by wd8dky » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:21 pm

Since Gigastudio has been around longer, there should be a larger sample base to choose from as well.

It can also rewire into any rewire host.
Last edited by wd8dky on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryocon

Post by Cryocon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:23 pm

I've used Kontakt for years now and love it. If you convert all your samples into Kontakt programs they load quicker than doing an import everytime.

Only tried a demo of Giga, and it was on an Athlon 64 machine and worked no problem.

Kontakt integrates better into your sequencing apps as it can be run as a vst, but as far as i'm aware, i could be wrong though, Giga has to be run standalone.

rosceoh

Post by rosceoh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:43 pm

Kontact is woefull. It always shuts down with 'unknown errors'.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:15 pm

i use kontakt1, infact i use it, because i know it so well almost exclusivel (even for all my drum sounds), even i have a few other softsynths, it just works, does all i need, and important for my workflow i know it inside out, so i don't have to 'learn' another one. it's fine. i have heard so much bad things about kontakt2 that i never bothered to upgrade...

Cache

Post by Cache » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:25 pm

yeah, i think a new update to Kontakt is due out in spring, so maybe that will fix the issues.

i'll see if i can get some info/reviews on the gigastudio plugin GVI. that might be the best option if Kontakt isn't suitable.
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/kinesicla

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:13 pm

Use Kontakt all the time in Logic and Live.

No problems.

Cache

Post by Cache » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:29 am

apparently the GVI is out in April for $300 approx.
it will replace the Gigastudio Ensemble which is being discontinued.

The GigaStudio Ensemble is going to go for about $129 which seems pretty great if you still get a 10GB sample library....

Hmm. Might be a good time to buy the ensemble, get the sounds and then upgrade to GVI for smaller price when the ensemble is made redundant.

schemy or what????
www.cachemusic.com
myspace.com/kinesicla

kidtronic

gigastudio vs. kontakt

Post by kidtronic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:58 pm

Kontact imports giga (came with my Acid Pro) but I don't know yet whether it "gets" all the subtle layers. I kinda doubt it. giga 3.0 has a big library including vienna symphonic and user upgrades to the vst version VI are $75 which is a nice option I might take. I don't know the run requirements yet. I got orchestral giga last week for the cost of sampler with a 7 dvd library, so sorry ableton, upgrade to 6 yes, but sampler was too much $ when you have to also buy what is nowdays a barebones library like essentials. Love Live but I want a rompler that takes me up a level and that's about library quality. The giga percussion samples twisted my head around in that they are noticeably cleaner and more realistic than my Sony library. Romplers are not where I mangle or sound design. I want them for realistic emulators to backdrop my mangled and constructed sounds. That said getting giga running smoothly on my creaky old system is a major pain, but then the VST option may fix that. For me the library is the key and smooth ways of shifting samples during performance a major plus (giga is a pro on this). I don't care much about the depth of the rompler interface. My old akai rack has lots of depth I never used. What I need are clean sharp sounds when I'm building tunes with no menu downtime.

GaryTracks

Post by GaryTracks » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Kidtronic, you're speaking my language, as far as "romplers" are concerned.
For me the library is the key and smooth ways of shifting samples during performance a major plus (giga is a pro on this)
can you please elaborate on this? and what's your computer.

thanks.

kidtronic

Gigastudio vs Kontakt

Post by kidtronic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:07 pm

re elaborate. Well Giga is not supposed to run on my system, amd 900mhz athalon, 640 meg, 250 gig drive and 120 gig drive. But with low prices I figure a new computer is just down the road and if i stay away from convultion and "unlimited" polphony for now I just might get away with it. Fast drive big video card, careful tweaking. Or the VST version is another way to go.

On the plus side for Live, 6.0 runs like a charm.

In terms of the smooth transitions I mentioned, its the ability to switch layers with velocity or having the articulations on theh modwheeel or sustain pedals (bowing up/down, tremulants, attack/sustain of horns, leslies etc.).

It matters a lot to me to be able to make those changes from the keyboard while I'm playing, not a control surface or mouse or in a squencer. That's what I mean about smooth -- smoothly integrated into the creative part of performance. To get real old school I found my ARP odyessey opened right up creatively for solos with the addition of pedals.

Machinate

Re: Gigastudio vs Kontakt

Post by Machinate » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:11 pm

kidtronic wrote:To get real old school I found my ARP odyessey opened right up creatively for solos with the addition of pedals.
OT; but I can definitely second that! Many of the great analogues I've had have had (!) expression pedal inputs.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

GaryTracks

Post by GaryTracks » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:53 pm

fuck! just discovered/remembered Giga is PC only.

so my long search for the best rompler for Mac continues...

NNXT is bullshit
Kontakt is NI
Giga is PC
Sampler is not a rompler at heart
Motu is Motu

I guess i'm not surprised. Why would these companies want to make ONE soft (or hardware) instrument that had great keyboards, piano, strings, horns, drums, some synths,etc. WITHOUT being cluttered or CPU hog, or a closed system.

Perhaps the Korg Extreme Triton is the immediate answer.
COSMO'S GEAR: G4 Powerbook 1.5g-1.5ram/Motu 828mkII/Access Virus Indigo/Handsonic HPD15/Battery 2/Korg 01W/BCR and BCF2000/Event 20-20 bas/Lacie FW