who does 100% original material only ? .. please vote

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

I do 100% original mater only

Yes
68%
75% or more is original
18%
More than 50% original
3%
less than 50%
6%
no original material
5%

Total votes: 148

shaneblyth

who does 100% original material only ? .. please vote

Post by shaneblyth » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:31 am

who does 100% original material only .. please vote

I really meant original as in your own songs as opposed to other artists songs.
Still thats ok so keep it coming it is interesting the side track it has taken so feel free to comment or vote on either aspects.

cheers

shane
Last edited by shaneblyth on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:35 am

i would say 88.89576% of my music is original. the unoriginal % goes to an occasional loop i use to get my music juices flowing

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:45 am

99.8%... i hate the quality of most sample cds.. and i don't like paying royalties for vocal stuff (i don't have a problem paying royalties, but i try to avoid it as much as possible)... i try to be as original as possible.. sometimes, i'll dreg my sample library, but when i use a sample, it doesn't ever sound like the original one bit, so noone would ever be able to tell anyways..

fuck samples. i never sample records or nothing... i met a producer once that said that all the producers he knows pull samples off of records to get the track to feel more organic... when he played his track from me, i could tell that he pulled the loop from a James Holden track, and even told him the name of the track because i recognized the loop implicitly (mind you, this was a recording artist that is definitely known in his genre, and locale... )... i told him i thought it was questionable (because he wasn't planning on paying royalties, and said it's not a big deal, flat out), and we never worked together again.

minimal

Post by minimal » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:07 am

100% own material now, even the drum sounds since I have operator.
more satisfactory, isn't it?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:09 am

close to 100%, eception is the one or other odd sound or an intro maybee... but really rare, usually i develope, tweak, and write all my patterns myself, either programming them or playing them...
same for the sounds, all selfmade.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:22 am

i voted 100% because i thought the question was about making covers, which i don't do.
but then if it's about using samples and stuff, i'd say about 50%.
i'm a sample kinda guy. i like to recycle stuff, i like to know that in a song, i can have a guitar by The Cure, a voice by George Michael, and that in the end nobody will know it because i've done a good job at making these sounds mine.

so i don't think "samples are for loosers" or whatever. as usual, one can make beautiful music with samples, and crap with original sounds....

regarding longer loops, once again, it can be well done and it can be disgustingly obvious. when it's well done, i see it as a quote, like for instance Charlie Parker used to do when improvising. it's all a matter of taste really.

/.

Post by /. » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:23 am

but what if i sampled coupla one shots, made a beat with em, does it make the music i make not original ?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:28 am

I'm damn glad to see there's still some 100% original talent out there, rather than plagiarized regurgitation.

Otherwise, we'll soon be hearing samples of samples of samples...

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:49 am

hambone1 wrote:Otherwise, we'll soon be hearing samples of samples of samples...
as i said, i don't see a problem here.
most of the music we hear now IS samples of samples of samples.
what's the difference between a snare taken from a Earth Wind & Fire record or the same snare carefully programmed with operator?
it's not easier to make it sound good, it won't make your music instantly sound better.
what's really important is that whatever sound you use, the end result must be original.
it's really as if a piano player had to know how to build a piano before being allowed to play his own chords on it. it's not the sounds that matter, it's what you do of it.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:52 am

hambone wrote:
I'm damn glad to see there's still some 100% original talent out there, rather than plagiarized regurgitation.

Otherwise, we'll soon be hearing samples of samples of samples...
yeah, i have to admit that i am as well a rather anti sample kinda guy, if someones taking a sample really to another level OK, but that is so rare, i found most of electronic music mediocre, even i love the genre electronica a lot, but in terms of ideas / creativity... just sampled loops of already excisting music all over the place.

sampling is fine if you take single sounds or notes and really screw them into something individuell / new... i don't have any problem with that, but that Fruity Loops kinda puzzling / cut 'n' paste sampled phrases together.... :?

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:18 am

It doesn't matter if you use loops, songs are about melody and lyrics, so I do 100%original material
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:23 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
hambone1 wrote:Otherwise, we'll soon be hearing samples of samples of samples...
as i said, i don't see a problem here.
most of the music we hear now IS samples of samples of samples.
what's the difference between a snare taken from a Earth Wind & Fire record or the same snare carefully programmed with operator?
it's not easier to make it sound good, it won't make your music instantly sound better.
what's really important is that whatever sound you use, the end result must be original.
it's really as if a piano player had to know how to build a piano before being allowed to play his own chords on it. it's not the sounds that matter, it's what you do of it.
What he said!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:49 pm

I have never used sample cds or stuff like that. Not because i'm against it, but because half of the fun for me is sound design. I have sampled bits of spoken word.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

frisbeedisk

Post by frisbeedisk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:10 pm

Does this include individual drum samples like kicks etc. Most of these are samples that are found within synths drummachines vsti etc!!