who does 100% original material only ? .. please vote

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

I do 100% original mater only

Yes
68%
75% or more is original
18%
More than 50% original
3%
less than 50%
6%
no original material
5%

Total votes: 148

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:51 pm

I just take songs people link to in the LINK YOUR MUSIC forum, burn CDs and sell them to local shops. I haven't worked a day in 6 months, thanks guys!

I do mashups, 100% original loops, sampling, turntable whicky whicky sets, guitar originals, samples from TV, radio and sample CDs, hell, I even listen to winamp through Live.

I think that adds up to... 666%

D K

Post by D K » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:18 pm

well, i marked original yesterday, but lo and behold,
i jinxed myself because at a show last night i got a wild hair up my
arse and pulled a muslimgauze clip out of itunes and dropped into my set while performing
and mixed it in for a few moments.
oh well, sorry to let you down, but it felt just right.
:wink:

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:03 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:I just take songs people link to in the LINK YOUR MUSIC forum, burn CDs and sell them to local shops. I haven't worked a day in 6 months, thanks guys!

I do mashups, 100% original loops, sampling, turntable whicky whicky sets, guitar originals, samples from TV, radio and sample CDs, hell, I even listen to winamp through Live.

I think that adds up to... 666%

Nice. You ever work with CAT5 there in SF? I like what they do with that kind of thing.

Oh and I make all my own music but I do use drum hit samples but not really loops or anything.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

conny

Post by conny » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:18 pm

peeddrroo wrote: do you know these paintings by Picasso where there are some parts of torn newspaper? that's identical to me. using old stuff to make new one. that's beautiful. it makes you look at things differently.
I agree.
Creativity has always to find the place between readymades and original "new" stuff all the way to the limits of its culture.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:36 pm

kennerb wrote:Nice. You ever work with CAT5 there in SF? I like what they do with that kind of thing.
I haven't heard of that crew. A search led me to everything Cat 5 (computer) related. :?

(and no, I don't bite toonz, that's almost not even funny)

lola

Post by lola » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:45 pm

Try to not to copy, cuz i hate clones

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:48 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
kennerb wrote:Nice. You ever work with CAT5 there in SF? I like what they do with that kind of thing.
I haven't heard of that crew. A search led me to everything Cat 5 (computer) related. :?

(and no, I don't bite toonz, that's almost not even funny)
Yeah don't bite the toonz.

Here you go. http://katfive.com/ it's a K my bad for using the C.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:23 pm

good shit, been listening to the music for a while.

You know, the music community really owes a lot to George W(orthless) Bush for all the GREAT sound bites he's provided.

Negativeland comes to mind, those guys are gods (and from the bay area!). Another one to check out is
http://www.thepartyparty.com
They also use extensive 'W' quotes, their version of White Lines and Sunday Bloody Sunday are pretty amazing, IMHO.

Don't worry peeps, I've never bitten, never will, I'm waaaaay too proud for that.

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:06 pm

I wonder what Marcel Duchamp would have to say about this poll?

Do I build my own urinal because I think it looks like the madonna, or should I just grab this one, and turn it upside down.

There, done.

I think that speaks for itself.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

HD1

Post by HD1 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:19 pm

meh...art installations and music are two different ponies.

aikighost

Post by aikighost » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:26 pm

I create everthing from scratch in reason or sonar, then output it to wav files for live mixing and mashing in live, occasionally I drop loops or bits and pieces of recognesable songs over the top for that "I recognise this" vibe occasionaly for the audience :D
http://TechnoMusicNews.com/ - Techno news & mixes

Send me a decent techno or minimal mix and I guarantee a decent number of listens.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:18 pm

man, you guys are whack and so is this topic,

originality is in idea not actions.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:44 pm

sweetjesus wrote:man, you guys are whack and so is this topic,

originality is in idea not actions.
Amen.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:06 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:(and from the bay area!).
Speaking of I was just listening to E-40

I love him like a father loves a son - he's probably one of the dopest MC's on the planet and since back in the day (The Click) he's just come strong record after record

"I represent the "Yay" area!"
Ableton | Elektron

Music

bassntreble

Post by bassntreble » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 pm

back on topic....

about half of the stuff I do is "original" as defined in the first post and the other half I'm a "gun for hire". I execute other people's ideas weather it's songs or jingles/bumpers. they'll say, "I need something like this by the end of the dayt, here's some money". and I'll knock it out the quickest way i know how....

[fast tempo music bed]
With Ableon's Live! 5 software! Manipulating prerecorded and live audio has never been easier! Just import or record a file, warp it and add effects. You'll be making music in no time with Ableton's Live 5 music production software!
[/fast tempo music bed]

all offers subject to local tax and approval. not all offers available in all areas. caution side effects may include nausea, dizzyness, blurry vision, headache, hearing loss and raw nipples. don't use live if you have a pre-existing condition or are taking MAOI's, YMMV