stylus rmx and live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toneroll

stylus rmx and live

Post by toneroll » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:06 pm

anyone using this and have any good tips using to its best, what ive been doing so far is just sampling loops into live and using them as audio, coz i cant seem to link the play button to lives' transport...

any good tips out there???

cheers.
there used to be a well cheesy "sig." here

network.funky

Post by network.funky » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:10 pm

I am in the process of putting together some guides on Live vs RMX as there are a few issues with how to record the control of all the parameters.

A number of us have tried to replicate the Spectrasonics tutorial and failed.

That said its still a great VST and I use it every day.

I hope to have the first of the guides finished in a week or so having been put back by the death of my system drive. Thankfully i recovered a Ghost of it so am back up and running.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 : 3.2Ghz Intel Processor : 2GB RAM
Emu1820m : EZ Bus : Yamaha SY35 : most of Linplug's offerings : Stylus RMX
Amiga A500 : AMAS : TurboSound

solar28

Post by solar28 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:18 pm

Download the tutorial videos on spectrasonics web site. They are all really good, and there's one specifically for Live: How to use multiple outputs, etc.

saddam whosayin?

Post by saddam whosayin? » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:09 pm

my tips...

remember Stylus uses REX files... you can put other stuff in it and use the effects

go back and check the original Stylus if you have it... there are alot of one-shot sounds I couldn't find in RMX there
and also you can use it wrong -playing the Groove Control stuff on the wrong keys
instantly turns the more useless (for me anyway) L.A. style loops into great "electronica" type stuff
RMX "fixed" that feature

MarkH

Re: stylus rmx and live

Post by MarkH » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:12 am

toneroll wrote:any good tips out there???

cheers.
I usually create two instances of RMX. One for Kit Mode and the other for Loop mode. For Loop mode, I add 7 more midi channels (8 total) and drag and drop my RMX loops to the different channels. Then I muck-up the midi notes to change the sound of some of the loops.

For the RMX instance in Kit Mode I create my own kit and build my own beats. Layering the loops from the other instance on top of my kit patterns sounds great.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:43 am

I dropped a tip (TIP: another way I like to generate chaos is to drag n drop the midi file for a loop into Live and then use that midi file to play another rmx loop, sometimes it sux, often it's great, especially layered with the proper loop.) in this thread the other day... may be some other tips in there.

Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, make sure you play with edit groups... mute them, solo them, put fx on them... lots of possibilities there.
Image Image