x0xb0x /// operator & ableton live..

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

x0xb0x /// operator & ableton live..

Post by HD1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:56 pm

here's a link to a set I havent listend to yet....thought you abletonians might be interested

http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=765

charles-l
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:31 pm
Location: London

Post by charles-l » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:28 pm

i think that ableton should offer operator free with live

/.
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm
Contact:

Post by /. » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:45 pm

charles-l wrote:i think that ableton should offer operator free with live
yeah

Flowbee
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:08 pm

Post by Flowbee » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:24 pm

charles-l wrote:i think that ableton should offer operator free with live
Why stop there? I think Ableton should offer Live for free.
Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 1gb RAM; OS X 10.4.5
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile - X-Session - M-Audio Keystation 49e - Roland V-Drums (TD-6)
Numark CDX (x2) - Allen & Heath Xone:02

HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Post by HD1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:33 pm

I'm with charles and /. on this one, when I bought live 5 i was under the impression it was complete....but it was missing a huge chunk, a synth...i was truely surprised, and I had taken the live tour and I had used live 4 quite a bit....so I considered myself fairly up-to-date....yet I was still surprised I had to shell out more for the synth, i thought I paid for the complete package. I certainly dont think they made it obvious enough that operator wasnt included...i thought complete meant complete, hows it complete without a synth ?


anyways, I'm not annoyed about it any more, that was nearly a year ago

dj_huck
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:19 pm

Post by dj_huck » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:09 pm

you know that if you had live 4 it had operator as a demo.
if you buy pro tools you do not get every plug for it for free
if you buy cubase you do not get every plug for free. etc
there have been demos of this and that on installs forever
quit whining and either pay for operator or don't use it.

Angstrom
Posts: 14686
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Post by Angstrom » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:16 pm

the operator issue doesn't affect me much as I have no urge to buy it or use it, but I can see the point if you don't already have a ton of old softsysnths and are starting out.

I only bother saying this because the boot screen for live reads.

"complete music solution for mac OS and windows!

complete?

udp
Posts: 962
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:36 am
Location: Mid Michigan, USA

Post by udp » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:24 pm

charles-l wrote:i think that ableton should offer operator free with live
I think they should charge us individually for grain delay, auto filter, compression 1, compression 2, simpler, impulse, beat repeat, simple delay, ping-pong delay........
You guys haven't used Live for more than a year obviously. Ofcourse they should charge for Operator. It's worth every penny. I hope in the future they make other innovative instruments and I hope they charge exorbitant prices as to keep up research and devopement. It also has the added feature of remaining relatively unused a resource, therefore sounds different than what others produce.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Post by HD1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:33 pm

lets not call a synth a plug, lets call a synth a synth. I dont want loads of free plugs, I just expect a complete music solution to include a synth, how are you people so willfully obtuse ?

HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Post by HD1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:50 pm

udp wrote:I think they should charge us individually for grain delay, auto filter, compression 1, compression 2, simpler, impulse, beat repeat, simple delay, ping-pong delay........
what flawed logic....you did pay for those things. Its included in the price...seriously, can they make this smiley any bigger --> :roll:

LOFA
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:10 pm

Post by LOFA » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:24 pm

Angstrom wrote:the operator issue doesn't affect me much as I have no urge to buy it or use it, but I can see the point if you don't already have a ton of old softsysnths and are starting out.

I only bother saying this because the boot screen for live reads.

"complete music solution for mac OS and windows!

complete?
I suppose that recording directly to audio is a solution?

Michael-SW
Posts: 2054
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:05 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:33 am

There are tons of free good synths out there. And another ton in the EUR/USD 50 bracket. I don't use Operator and I have no desire to do so at the current price.

udp
Posts: 962
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:36 am
Location: Mid Michigan, USA

Post by udp » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:09 pm

RopeyPunter wrote:
udp wrote:I think they should charge us individually for grain delay, auto filter, compression 1, compression 2, simpler, impulse, beat repeat, simple delay, ping-pong delay........
what flawed logic....you did pay for those things. Its included in the price...seriously, can they make this smiley any bigger --> :roll:
Again I'll point out you must not have used Live in it's incarnations previous to version 4. For a couple of years many of us struggled with rewiring Live to another host just so we could use Live's audio warping features with vsti capability of the rewire master. Then version 4 came along and we could use all those vst's in Live and we felt soooo free. Then along came operator and everyone had to decide whether or not they wanted to pay for the awesome flexiblility and integration that is operator. Just like deciding if reaktor is the right tool for them, or better yet deciding which TDM plugs one needs or doesn't need for their protools projects. Would you say Reason is not a commplete audio solution? It includes many synths but no ablilty to handle audio. Yet somehow people are able to release high quality cd's using Live or Reason or whatever they program they choose. It's a matter putting in the time to really learn to use the program you choose. EX. why not just drop some wave forms into multiple instances of Simpler routed together and sent through some Live effects? Whammo, very powerful and flexible synth. Use your imagination and have fun.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Post by HD1 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:33 pm

ya...its no big deal....I'm just sayin I was a little surprised, dont know why I thought operator was going to be a part of the package but I did.....I dont even want it anyways, as I have other stuff to learn....might get it when 6 comes out
bing bing!

John Sweet
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:28 pm
Location: NYC

Post by John Sweet » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:31 pm

I bought Operator, my brother didn't. I use Operator on both of our systems without much trouble, though, because I RTFM'd about signal routing and recording in Live. Take a look, that's all I'm saying.

Post Reply