powerbook's audio input dead?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
capta1nA

powerbook's audio input dead?

Post by capta1nA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:25 am

the line in port on my powerbook is dead. i always use logic/live as a practice tool when I play bass. i'm kinda screwed now. it's an aluminum 15", the model just before the dual layer superdrives. anybody else have their audio in go dead? is there anything i can do short of sending it to apple?

of interesting note, a griffin imic doesnt work either.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:41 am

minijacks can take a lot of abuse, if you can get it to work intermittently by wiggling it, take the thing apart and add some solder to the connections. I've saved many walkmen that would've been thrown out by doing that.

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 am

not sure i like the idea of soldering my powerbook. 8O i'm not that handy with an iron.

i think its just time to get an interface..

mercyplease

Re: powerbook's audio input dead?

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:41 am

capta1nA wrote:the line in port on my powerbook is dead. i always use logic/live as a practice tool when I play bass. i'm kinda screwed now. it's an aluminum 15", the model just before the dual layer superdrives. anybody else have their audio in go dead? is there anything i can do short of sending it to apple?

of interesting note, a griffin imic doesnt work either.
What were you plugging the bass in to before the signal reached the powerbook input?. Sounds to me the input stage has been blown. You have checked the audio preferences?. Get an external anyway you can get some very cheap ones for your needs.
DeadlyKungFu wrote:minijacks can take a lot of abuse, if you can get it to work intermittently by wiggling it, take the thing apart and add some solder to the connections. I've saved many walkmen that would've been thrown out by doing that.
:lol:

capta1nA wrote:not sure i like the idea of soldering my powerbook. 8O i'm not that handy with an iron.

i think its just time to get an interface..
Go on give it a try :wink: