Fast Song-Hopping for Live-Gigs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
johnselekta

how about...

Post by johnselekta » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:59 pm

...synching 2 laptops?

My eventual plan for live sets will be this - MIDI sync 2 laptops together then load up the tracks one by one.

I think it could work, though don't have the money for a new version yet. I've got a MacBook Pro and a Powerbook G3 500 Pismo - both run live beautifully, until tonight when Live 5.2b7 expires then I'm back to 5 on the G3 only :cry:

Has anybody achieved this yet? I need a second MIDI interface before I can check it out.

Was thinking of punching tracks in DJ style using 2 laptops, a PhatBoy and mixer.

Comments/suggestions welcome - go easy its my first post lol
http://www.dynamicbreaks.com - John Selekta Live 6-8gmt every Tuesday. Nu skool Breaks/Electro/Breakbeat internet readio station - 24 - 64 - 128k

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:07 pm

Welcome!

If you're running Tiger on both Macs, you don't need a MIDI interface. You can send MIDI over a standard network cable between them, or even wireless if you've got wireless in your G3. You'll find lots of info with a search on the forum.

I do it with MIDI interfaces, as I've got other MIDI devices plugged into each Mac anyway.

The only problem that I had was with the sync drifting a bit, and sometimes even being lost. I cured this by using two MIDI cables on separate ports beween each Mac: one carrying the MIDI data, and the other carrying the sync. Worked perfectly ever since. If you're buying MIDI interfaces, a 2-port isn't much more expensive than a single-port.

Loading all of your tracks into one large set is a much better method. You don't need to load up tracks on at a time. Just set up each track as a scene in one set.

johnselekta

Nice..

Post by johnselekta » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:21 pm

..like the sound of that - I have panther on my G3, Tiger on MacBook at the mo but may just update it. Sounds well worth it! Will experiment with one big track but I need to get them finished first - that old Ableton temptation of 'just trying this' and ending up with 50 unfinished tunes lol

cheers hambone, I'm on it!

EDIT: oh BTW I ahve a MidiSport 2x2 (Midiman) one, so would get away with a 1x1. But I have synths, samplers etc too so may go for a full on one eventually. We'll see.
http://www.dynamicbreaks.com - John Selekta Live 6-8gmt every Tuesday. Nu skool Breaks/Electro/Breakbeat internet readio station - 24 - 64 - 128k

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:32 pm

I'm using the Midisport 2x2 on the iBook, and the Behringer BCR2000 on the G5, which has one MIDI in and two out.

Pick up a BCR2000 instead of another MIDI interface. It only costs a bit more than a MIDI interface, and it's got one built in.

johnselekta

Post by johnselekta » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm

aww u just gave me a dilemma - my mate just got a BCF2000 (the motorised fader one) and now I am torn...I had put that to the back of my mind too! I would like the BCF but I know Behringer's rotarys will probably last longer than their faders!

I have a PhatBoy though so may go for the fader option. Need to sort Live 5.2 out first though 8O

ta

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:01 pm

I've heard bad things about the BCF's faders. And you get a lot more controllers with the BCR for half the price. The ring of LEDs around each knob make it just as useful as a moving fader without the complexity and possibility of failure.

Like a kid in a toy store, the novelty of moving faders soon wears off, too... especially when it fails... :?