Please suggest a ROMpler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
littlepig

Please suggest a ROMpler

Post by littlepig » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:00 am

I've got Live, Operator, Crystal and a few other vst synths but what I want to get some acoustic sounds into my music. So I feel that in need a ROMpler. I tried some freebie soundfount players but I just can't find the sounds I want.

I just want basic stuff like a piano, some basses, brass...

I am a long way from releasing anything so it doesn't have to have a huge library.

Please could some one suggest some ROMplers for me to look at.

Thanks

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:37 pm

Check out Luxonix's Ravity for a lightweight but great sounding ROMPlayer. If you want to step up to a large library, Spectrasonic's Trilogy is THE bass ROMplayer. The other basic stuff would be small gigasampler libraries that you can pick up...they're not all huge files.

Sartori

Post by Sartori » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:07 pm

Sounds like a nice general library is what you're after. Sampletank is ok, but I've found the tunings don't always match up to other stuff. Dunno if it's just me or if it's maybe sampled or setup with the pitches not matching (ie a C3 in sampletank isn't the same as say C3 in The Grand, depending on the patch). I tried the free Plugworks and it seemed quite good as well, so you could go for one or all of those. If you want a vast one, there's also Colossus, but that's probably too much! :)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:16 pm

The new Cakewalk instrument also seems to have a lot of bread and butter sounds. It's a little large, but it might just do the trick for your needs. Check it out at www.cakewalk.com

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Some of the tunings seem weird to me in Cakewalk's Dimension also, check out the choir patches. Anyone heard the GM sampler from Native Instruments? Forgot what they call it.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:58 pm

CWoodOne wrote:Anyone heard the GM sampler from Native Instruments? Forgot what they call it.
I'm sure the name has a hard "K" in it.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:35 pm

Crystal supports soundfonts, so you might try checking out some sound font commercial collections from Emu, etc...

Otherwise, I love wusik.com

Of course, Simpler rules them all :twisted:
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:45 pm

True, Simpler is a great ROM-job. But to get a good natural library is hard in Simpler. You might look at the Trackteam Livepacks.

littlepig

thanks for the suggestions

Post by littlepig » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:10 am

Thanks for those suggestions, I will check them out.

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:27 pm

DimensionPro?

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:54 pm

Sartori wrote:Sounds like a nice general library is what you're after. Sampletank is ok, but I've found the tunings don't always match up to other stuff. Dunno if it's just me or if it's maybe sampled or setup with the pitches not matching (ie a C3 in sampletank isn't the same as say C3 in The Grand, depending on the patch). I tried the free Plugworks and it seemed quite good as well, so you could go for one or all of those. If you want a vast one, there's also Colossus, but that's probably too much! :)
Colossus has drop hugely in price from $995 down to $499 50% off. You could get this even cheaper in the EU or UK. For 32 gb worth of the most prestine sounds Colossus is now becoming a bargain.
Vote for Pedro.

littlepig

Garritan Jazz and Big Band

Post by littlepig » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:48 am

To answer my own question I saw a review of 'Garritan Jazz and Big Band' so I had a look at the site and it seems to do the kind of stuff I want.

So I am saving up for that and in the mean time using sfz and some free sound fonts I managed to find.