6 better be a rock !!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
mercyplease
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:22 am
Location: Sent back to hell

Post by mercyplease » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:52 pm

knotkranky wrote:
mercyplease wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:

Yeah, you're right, i obviously don't know what i'm talking about.

Glad you're here to set me straight. Dick.



.lm.
What on earth is your problem?
You seriously need to take a chill pill man. You may have been around here a long time but that doesnt give you a licence to abuse other forum users.
fyi my comment regarding your lack of experience is with Pro tools.

Why don't you guys take it outside. :roll:
Excuse me, if you read lms responses to me I think you will find im having to deal with a very angry individual. Check a few of his posts and you will see.

Furthermore you have not added one ounce of validity to your claims of Lives instability. So, isnt it time you gave this pitch a rest? I have found no showstopping bugs but what I have found is heavy CPU which you seem to think is a bug.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Post by knotkranky » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:01 pm

AdamJay wrote:
knotkranky wrote:
AdamJay wrote: we were there last fall, long before this thread started.
I take it you're a staffer and relayed the issue to Abe's last year. Do you feel that 6 will prove significant strides in stability.? Thanx
I am not a "staffer", but i did visit the Ableton HQ last fall, and have done some work for Ableton with user groups and as a contractor at trade shows.

I can assure you that the issue of stability is paramount and at the very top of the list for Ableton. Nothing is more important to them, and it is constantly being worked on.

Since they are a company that doesn't often post on their own forums, this can come across as "secretive", and in some instances be misinterpreted as though they are not concerned with it. Some see a press announcement from them and it has to do with new features rather than stability, and the reaction to this announcement is they do not care about stability, and perhaps just want to make money by adding new features. But i think what you have to remember is press announcements rarely do mention technical details such as that.
These technical details will be found on the beta announcements within the forum.

All i can say is there is alot more going on behind the scenes, on the technical side of things, than what is announced to the public via the internet and trade shows...

ALOT more..
Thank you so much. Other than direct contact with Abe reps, that is a reply i can sign off this thread to. If I can be helpful in any way, please ask. Thanks again everybody and C'mon 6!!!!

AdamJay
Posts: 4757
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:17 pm
Location: Indianapolis, USA

Post by AdamJay » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:03 pm

knotkranky wrote:
Thank you so much. Other than direct contact with Abe reps, that is a reply i can sign off this thread to. If I can be helpful in any way, please ask. Thanks again everybody and C'mon 6!!!!
the best thing you can do is email support@ableton.com when you have a problem or issue.

tell them the specifics of your setup, and the specifics of the issue.
this insures that they are directly aware of any problems there may be.

good luck!

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Post by knotkranky » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:13 pm

mercyplease wrote:
knotkranky wrote:
mercyplease wrote: What on earth is your problem?
You seriously need to take a chill pill man. You may have been around here a long time but that doesnt give you a licence to abuse other forum users.
fyi my comment regarding your lack of experience is with Pro tools.

Why don't you guys take it outside. :roll:
Excuse me, if you read lms responses to me I think you will find im having to deal with a very angry individual. Check a few of his posts and you will see.

Furthermore you have not added one ounce of validity to your claims of Lives instability. So, isnt it time you gave this pitch a rest? I have found no showstopping bugs but what I have found is heavy CPU which you seem to think is a bug.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:
Sorry, I meant why don't you two get a room.

:lol:

eisnein
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:41 pm
Location: undisclosed
Contact:

Post by eisnein » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:13 pm

thank you AdamJay to the rescue!

not sure what we did to help you knotkranky but you are welcome?
second class robot

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Post by knotkranky » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:29 pm

eisnein wrote:thank you AdamJay to the rescue!

not sure what we did to help you knotkranky but you are welcome?
I'll be back on this after the 6 release and maybe even more commited to Live.

You can bet I'll be trying to get Live in a major session on it's own. If not, the fire will burn out and i'll keep doin what i've been doin. Cheers

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Post by knotkranky » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:53 pm

udp wrote:The November 2005 issue of SOS addresses the issue of audio quality in Live in it's review of Live 5. It seems that Ableton is well aware of audio deterioration as one pushes one's system. It's something they are working on, but in the meanwhile we'll all need to work around. Deterioration only occurs when you're pushing your system, so the obvious thing to do is to avoid stressing your system. The Abe's emphasis has been on keeping audio playback in tact while giving up graphics performance. Ableton hq is quoted in the review: "There is no short answer on this. The behaviour of Live's audio processing under heavy load is a complex thing and heavily dependent on the processor type and system architecture (multiple processors or cores). Of course we took care to give the most critical tasks the highest priority (recording over playback, playback over interaction and display)."
I meant to get back to you on this thoughtful post. As computers get more powerful, Live can improve in stability, but only as long as Ableton doesn't chase the rising threshold with features that do not serve stability. This will be difficult for Ableton's progression schedule and marketability to not take more from the stability cookie jar. We all need to watch them closely on this and make this request a very big one.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:05 pm

mercyplease wrote:
What on earth is your problem?
You seriously need to take a chill pill man. You may have been around here a long time but that doesnt give you a licence to abuse other forum users.
fyi my comment regarding your lack of experience is with Pro tools.
It's barely worth a response.

Don't be an asshole to me and i won't return the favor.

Go back and read your posts which added nothing to the conversation i was having with knotkranky. You step in here and take a couple shots at me. Why? You obviously have some sort of problem with me that has nothing to do with this thread.



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

DeadlyKungFu
Posts: 3603
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:26 pm

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 pm

knotkranky wrote:As computers get more powerful, Live can improve in stability.
Not really, I'm just going to run more plug ins on more tracks recording more stuff at once while I have 10 other applications open in the background. I'll still have to reel it in. Threads like this will always be around, hell this thread will might NEVER die.

It will always be about controlling your track count, bouncing your plug-ins to audio, keeping your PC clean, watching what you install and staying up to date on drivers.

We will always use as much computing power as we can, if you're not, you're missing out.

knotkranky
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: la

Post by knotkranky » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:18 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:
knotkranky wrote:As computers get more powerful, Live can improve in stability.
Not really, I'm just going to run more plug ins on more tracks recording more stuff at once while I have 10 other applications open in the background. I'll still have to reel it in. Threads like this will always be around, hell this thread will might NEVER die.

It will always be about controlling your track count, bouncing your plug-ins to audio, keeping your PC clean, watching what you install and staying up to date on drivers.

We will always use as much computing power as we can, if you're not, you're missing out.
Yes, that goes without question. The operative word is "can". Allocation is my main point. How we push the throttle as individuals will always be fodder for confusion. Right now Live is a size 13 app in a size 9 shoe. Pushing the throttle in a perfect fit will be much more pleasant.

dj superflat
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: leadville, CO

Post by dj superflat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:36 pm

just wanted to say that i don't think we will all always be pushing our computers to the max. at some point fairly soon, editing music on a computer will be like editing text or manipulating fotos. no real stress on system at all, do anything you want, in any way you want. that's actually why i like live better than the other options -- because it's seems geared more towards being just another computer application (in look and performance) rather than some computer simulation of real world recording. e.g., i at first liked reason's interface b/c it was easy to grasp for someone coming to computer music from live studios. now reason's interface seems kind of silly to me. by contrast, when first moving to live from logic, i thought live's fx looked kind of silly, because so basic. now i love them for the same reason -- so simple that you can actually use them efficiently, whereas the logic fx and synths that at first seemed so cool to me now seem like a pain in the ass, because they're so hard to work with (though some of them are way cool, etc.). i've now gone seriously off topic. apologies.

[fwiw, i think threads like this are useful -- though obviously not when they degenerate into pissing matches -- because even criticism of live i don't share is welcome if it makes the product better, particularly where i may ultimately try to make the same kind of use of live that is currently posing problems for others. and i don't think burying this in bugs would work. you need to draw attention to the issue to get the company to focus, and also try to confirm whether others have the same issue or see it as similarly important.]

sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:54 pm

AdamJay wrote:
knotkranky wrote:
AdamJay wrote: we were there last fall, long before this thread started.
I take it you're a staffer and relayed the issue to Abe's last year. Do you feel that 6 will prove significant strides in stability.? Thanx
I am not a "staffer", but i did visit the Ableton HQ last fall, and have done some work for Ableton with user groups and as a contractor at trade shows.

I can assure you that the issue of stability is paramount and at the very top of the list for Ableton. Nothing is more important to them, and it is constantly being worked on.

Since they are a company that doesn't often post on their own forums, this can come across as "secretive", and in some instances be misinterpreted as though they are not concerned with it. Some see a press announcement from them and it has to do with new features rather than stability, and the reaction to this announcement is they do not care about stability, and perhaps just want to make money by adding new features. But i think what you have to remember is press announcements rarely do mention technical details such as that.
These technical details will be found on the beta announcements within the forum.

All i can say is there is alot more going on behind the scenes, on the technical side of things, than what is announced to the public via the internet and trade shows...

ALOT more..
I can confirm what AJ is saying.

To elaborate, the wear and tear that the Ableton's coffee machine and the makeshift bed in their offices along with taking note of what kind of hours in the day Alex and others post online or send emails shows that as people (not a company) they are doing everything in their power to make sure we can make music.

To them our art is their art.

hoffman2k
Posts: 14718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:59 pm

:lol:

I'm pretty sure they hired Amo, because he already knows how to operate the bloody expresso machine. Operator Z...... :wink:
I was too occupied with the food :D
Damn that soup was tha bomb.

HD1
Posts: 667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Post by HD1 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:25 pm

I hope they spend as much time beta testing live 6 in public, as it took to go from live5 release to live 5.03 at a -minimum-....

I must say I'm happy with the time they have spent beta testing 5.2 , I get a sense that all the complaints made by the irate users made a difference. Which is kind of ironic, because if the ableton apologists got their way these irate people would have ceased 'whining' long before 5.03 even surfaced.

keep those honest complaints coming, they make a difference!
bing bing!

sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:37 pm

RopeyPunter wrote:I hope they spend as much time beta testing live 6 in public, as it took to go from live5 release to live 5.03 at a -minimum-....

I must say I'm happy with the time they have spent beta testing 5.2 , I get a sense that all the complaints made by the irate users made a difference. Which is kind of ironic, because if the ableton apologists got their way these irate people would have ceased 'whining' long before 5.03 even surfaced.

keep those honest complaints coming, they make a difference!
i never saw ableton apologists... just people with problems and people without problems.

the people with problems complained, and the people without problems stated that they did not have those problems.

i was one of those irate users, i even made a thread 'ableton dropped the ball' despite the company doing some very nice things for me.

in the end nobody could fix my problem but me (was a hyperthreading issue) so that goes to show that being overly irate can make you look like an ass, but most people here just build up the odd frustration and dont let it go too far into the realm of whining.

admittedly i cant remember who, but i think it was supster who managed to convince ableton that the arrange view slows down like a sloth through the old rallying of the troops.. however thats a problem most people experience.

Post Reply