So, um, anyone excited about Acid 6?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ilia

So, um, anyone excited about Acid 6?

Post by ilia » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:21 am

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/produc ... ochure.pdf

I know I am. I love Live, but I get the feeling that properly merging full sets is some ways away, and I do most of my work in the arrangement, and want it to be fast, and I need fades, and video sync is nice, so...

blastique

Post by blastique » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:24 am

Me. I love the program and while there are so many things that can be done in live that you can't do in acid, I'm just a lot quicker with acid for arrangement aspects of tracks, with both one shots and bounced loops than I am in live. It's totally gotta do with how long I've spent with either program, Live for just a year, but acid for the last 6. But you've gotta admit, acid's interface is pretty "lite" and zippy which I like. :) I hope I don't get flamed for that. :oops:

But features like multi-track recording FINALLY being added to Acid 6, as well as in-track midi editing bring it a bit more up to today's standard. Midi editing always blew big time in Acid, and that's about to change which is pretty exciting.
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

wd8dky

Post by wd8dky » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:22 pm

Does Acid 6 provide some of the same performance features of Live (i.e., scene triggering, etc.), or is it still primarily a studio tool?

Thank you!

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:11 pm

does it have a slicer that auto maps slices to midi trigger notes?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:01 am

I've been pretty excited about Acid 6 since the announcement. I've been a big fan of Vegas since version 1, and it's nice to see them merge Vegas with some decent loop tools and good midi. I also work a lot in arrangement view in Live, and I'd love for Live to be a little sleeker and quicker reacting like the Acid interface always was. Someone else mentioned in another posting that the Acid interface has always been rather ugly, but extremely functional. Now with multi-track recording, multiple samples on the same track and updated midi, they might have a real contender. And competition is always a good thing. Not sure it anything will take away from Live though...

j0shu@

Post by j0shu@ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:13 am

i still like acid. ive got 4, i wont be buying 6, but it is fast and easy to work in. people dog it all the time, but back in the day, it was THE first to do multitrack key and non-tempo stretching (aside from recycle stuff).

it certainly could have evolved better though.

blastique

Post by blastique » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:07 pm

wd8dky wrote:Does Acid 6 provide some of the same performance features of Live (i.e., scene triggering, etc.), or is it still primarily a studio tool?

Thank you!
It's primarily a studio tool, but that's cool. For some reason, if it were anything more, I'd feel it would lose a little something, if that makes any sense whatsoever. *scratches head*

Basically, multi-track support is a feature that many of us acid users have been crying for for a long time. While many thought that if you wanted multitrack recording capabilities, you should use vegas (including the sony support team), I guess the number of people wanting this feature within Acid was phenomenal by comparison. This definately brings it up to current standards while still maintaining it's unique and excellent strong points.

Anyhoo, I absolutely cannot wait :)
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:47 pm

Vegas definitely turned into a Video application, even though it had very good audio capabilities. It led the way for automation envelopes within tracks long before any other application. However, it stayed away from midi which really killed it as an option for me.

I'm glad Acid is catching up. I agree that it's a studio tool...I wouldn't use anything other than Live for performing.

blastique

Post by blastique » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:08 pm

nebulae wrote:Vegas definitely turned into a Video application, even though it had very good audio capabilities. It led the way for automation envelopes within tracks long before any other application. However, it stayed away from midi which really killed it as an option for me.

I'm glad Acid is catching up. I agree that it's a studio tool...I wouldn't use anything other than Live for performing.
For some reason, i'm most comfortable working in Vegas for multi-track mixdowns of studio recordings (I guess it's due to my early adopted Acid interface fetish) and I've always prefered it over the protools UI.

Anybody else use Vegas as their main "mixdown" daw application? I wonder where Vegas 7.0 (if it is in fact in conception) will be taken. Perhaps in the direction of Sonar 5PE? Broadening Vegas's features a touch might make it a very attractive alternative for more users I believe. Sonar 5PE just seems a whole lot "tighter* with Mackie Control too, or maybe I'm just not using it's implementation in Vegas properly. Weird as this sounds, if Sonar looked and acted a little more like Vegas (mouse functions, etc...) I might have used that completely for multi-track mixdowns. It could just be that I'm not willing to snap out of my old ways. :?
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:11 pm

Regarding mouse functions, I'm still trying to figure out which idiot at companies other than Sonic Foundry thinks that mouse scroll wheel zooming is a bad usablity idea. Because that guy needs to be severely flogged.

blastique

Post by blastique » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:58 pm

nebulae wrote:Regarding mouse functions, I'm still trying to figure out which idiot at companies other than Sonic Foundry thinks that mouse scroll wheel zooming is a bad usablity idea. Because that guy needs to be severely flogged.
That is SO true mate. It makes such a difference to the experience. Just that one little feature makes me feel I'm working more efficiently in Sony/Sonic Foundry apps and am so used to it.
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:22 pm

i find with all the software out today like live, logic, cubase,

acid is pointless.

i haven't used it since way back when and dont find the need to ever go back.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:31 pm

Digi V wrote:i find with all the software out today like live, logic, cubase,

acid is pointless.

i haven't used it since way back when and dont find the need to ever go back.
So based on the question of this thread, your answer would be "No", right? Just checking, because I wasn't sure.

ilia

Post by ilia » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:38 pm

blastique wrote: For some reason, i'm most comfortable working in Vegas for multi-track mixdowns of studio recordings (I guess it's due to my early adopted Acid interface fetish) and I've always prefered it over the protools UI.
Same here. To me, Vegas is the fastest, most elegant and well-thought out media editing software, and I pretty much tried everything. It was missing some work-flow stuff that Live has, like fast envelope drawing (instead of double clicking), recording automation, machine control. Now it looks like all this will be carried over to Acid, along with decent MIDI editing, etc. Basically, what Sonar could have been, were it not so clunky. Let's see...

blastique

Post by blastique » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:03 pm

ilia wrote: Same here. To me, Vegas is the fastest, most elegant and well-thought out media editing software, and I pretty much tried everything. It was missing some work-flow stuff that Live has, like fast envelope drawing (instead of double clicking), recording automation, machine control. Now it looks like all this will be carried over to Acid, along with decent MIDI editing, etc. Basically, what Sonar could have been, were it not so clunky. Let's see...
Ilia, with regards to envelope drawing, did you know that you can just hold shift and click once on the envelope to make an envelope point?

I sometimes quite like hitting the record-automation button on the track and movin the fader hehe
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique