Share your thought about pad/keyboard drumming

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:34 pm

By the way...

deckme(N)tal - Have you bailed on us? Or do you just think we give shitty answers?

Regards,
Mikael

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:04 am

I was wondering, too.

Thinking again of our conversation, it often occurs that I have a harmonic progression in mind, but then, while wanting to program it, it goes whee ´cause there are so much tones happening...
Maybe I should practise a bit :)

Ray

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:16 pm

Watching the Trigger Finger demo made me feel like I needed to practice my pad style:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=med ... a191c74b0f

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Confucio said:
There are not bad answer, only bad questions!
:lol:
they were good anyways...i just know that everyone sometime stucks with the same patters (it always happen to me in scratching) and sometime you discover something new when you are making mistakes...
thanks to everyone... 8)

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:42 pm

John Sweet wrote:Watching the Trigger Finger demo made me feel like I needed to practice my pad style
For me the most difficult part is to decide which action to put on what knob. It´s nearly endless possibilitys with Live.
Maybe I should open a new thread on that...

John Sweet do you know how he did that repeat thing while holding a pad?

Ray

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:54 pm

John Sweet do you know how he did that repeat thing while holding a pad?
He assigned pad pressure to track volume and let a snare hit repeat at 16ths.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:35 pm

I really like using the pads as track play buttons to launch samples more than I do launching them as drums inside Impulse. I've been abusing that clip repeat setting. The pressure CCs are good for track volume but maybe even better for sends and clip transpose, where pressure detunes or tunes up.

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:24 pm

Do you have much knowledge of reading music?

If so there are scores of drumming tutorial books. A lot come with CDs, even if you can't read, and some are probably written in some invented notation for non-readers.

If you can read a really deep book that'll introduce you to a concept that'll help you come up with millions of new rhythms for yourself is 'The New Breed' by Gary Chester. if you nail this concept you can get 'Modern Reading Text in 4/4' by Louis Belson and Gil Brienes, which is another book that you can literally create millions of new and original rhythms from.

if you can't read it's worth considering buying a book on learning to read, just so you can get into these books.

Reading rhythmic notation is not as hard as it might seem. If you're good at maths, particularly fractions, you're half way there.

I'd also recommend finding a local teacher and taking some drum lessons. You'd be amazed how much this will help. But try to find someone who'll fit your requirements. Not all drum teachers are equal. You don't want someone who's going to make you practice loads of snare drum rudiments, if you want to learn how to program a drum machine. Tell them your needs and see if you click with the person.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:55 pm

I definetly second this.
"The New Breed" is awesome.