Help with mixing records and Live at the same time.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fatguy128

Help with mixing records and Live at the same time.

Post by fatguy128 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:20 am

Hello all,

First of all, I'm brand new so if you need to school me please do so.

Here's my question:

I'm just getting into Live and it's many features, and while I'm still pretty shaky I want to start taking my laptop and keyboard with me to shows and trying stuff out.

I normally play with two turn tables. Records, you know that whole mess, hehehe

Mixing from table to table is easy. Mixing from sample to sample with Live is easy. Mixing from Live to a turntable is easy.

But mixing from a turntable to Live is tricky. I can use the "tap" thingy to get the Live bpm in the right spot, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to adjust the pitch of the Live sample while it's playing. I need to be able to speedup and slowdown the playing sample. I tried using the "nudge" thing but it's pretty useless.

There must be an easy way to do this. Please help : )

If you're in Seattle, I'd love a chance to pick your brain on other Live stuff too.

Thanks!

-kM

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:41 am

Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:24 am

That tip page is superb! It got me through my rough patch when my 307 was back in Malaysia in a box that never got sent over here :(

Anyway, it's back in my hands now once again:D

I can't recommend an MC-307 enough. If you can, try to track one down second hand. While the slider does feel kinda cheap, the nudge buttons are indespensible. I basically slave live to the MC-307 and it works stable and like a treat. And it's nice being able to drop whatever quick n dirty lines you may have written before hand in sync. Going off topic now, I'd be so much happier if you could 'nudge' the measure of the user pattern that is currently playing in the 307. Sadly, being the master, any modification you make to where you are on the "timeline" knocks live back too. :(
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

fatguy128

Post by fatguy128 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:10 pm

Dude! Right on. Thanks for all your help! That was exactly what I was looking for.

-kM