Looping individual samples independantely using MIDI

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djmuzz

Looping individual samples independantely using MIDI

Post by djmuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:13 am

Hi all,

I have just bought a secondhand Faderfox LV1 and LX1 and would like to use them as DJ controllers. The first thing I noticed was there is no way to select loop points (Start-Stop) for individual tracks without going into the Clip View in Live with the mouse, is there any way around this? :?

Even using the encoder to select a sample in the session view is a bit fiddly and not ideal, was hoping to be completely free from the mouse and keyboard.

I was hoping there was some way to assign the 8 (A-B) buttons on the LX1 to each of the 8 controlled tracks (Infact I thought that was what the A_B function was - I was a bit dissapointed!!) :(

Thanks for your help

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:06 am

Firstly, are you using Live 4 or Live 5?

You can midi-assign loop in and loop out points with Live 5. Just hit the midi-assign button, click on the IN and hit your midi button!

If you'd like to adjust the loop start point, just click on the number portion of the box and twiddle your knob (lol). I'm not sure what the deal would be with faderfox pre-made templates and how much it will break the functionality (depending on which control you re-assign), but it works fine with my bcf.

Although, I should note that I had to change the controller type to Relative (instead of absolute), as the numbers weren't going up sequentially in ones, rather, jumping in steps. That's obviously because it you can't "Absolute" assign more than 128 bars to 128 numbers.

Speaking of which, is anybody using relative 14bit succesfully on the bcf2000 with live? For some reason, it doesn't seem to "speak" properly with it.

Oh, with the midi assignment, you only need to do this once (i.e. not for every track.) It basically gives you control of the track currently in focus. At first i thought this was strange, but it's actually quite convenient for on-the-fly looping.

Sorry for semi-hijacking your thread muzz
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

djmuzz

Post by djmuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:33 am

Thanks for the quick reply,

Using v5 at the moment. I realise you can set Loop Start / Stop using the Midi assign function, but the good thing about the Faderfox is it has 2 extra assignable buttons (A + B) on each of its 8 avaliable tracks, I was just hoping it was possible to loop samples on each of the 8 tracks without having the sample in the clip view, so you can opperate away from the mouse

I suppose the only other thing would be to use the encoder to select what sample you would like to show in the clip view, do you know if there is a MIDI command for selecting a sample? (the only one you get when using the MIDI assign function is the clip start)

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:51 am

Heya, no worries :)

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be ON the actual clip to cause it to loop.

You just have to be on the active track.

And with regards to there being a midi command for selecting a sample, what you *could* do is assign a midi button or whatever to each of the tracks.
Hit midi assign, then click on the track-name portion of the column, and there you go. So you can quickly switch between tracks you would like to loop. I think you might, over time, appreciate that the track loop points are controllable from just two buttons (instead of 2 x 8 for example).

Why not use the "A" on each track to select the corresponding track, and maybe sacrifice the final group of A/B for loop in and loop out?
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:55 am

I should add that personally, I navigate around the session view using the number pad on the x-session. I've got bome's midi translator running converting my midi keypad buttons into directional keystrokes. So all I do is tap either left or right to get to the column I want, hit loop in and hit loop out when i'm ready. I've just recently got track start point, loop start and loop length points assigned to another layer on my bcf2000 so the only thing I (like) using the mouse for (and plan on doing so for a while!) is scrolling through for tracks and dragging them in :)
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

djmuzz

Post by djmuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:58 am

Unless there is a way to use some Midi program to intercept midi messages and essentially do Macros, so you would have on the A (Loop Start):

Button A, Track 1

Midi Command - Select Track 1 (if there is one of some equivelent)
Midi Command - Set Loop Start Point

Button A, Track 2

Midi Command - Select Track 2
Midi Command - Set Loop Start Point

etc, etc

Button B, Track 1

Midi Command - Select Track 1
Midi Command - Set Loop Stop Point

Button B, Track 2

Midi Command - Select Track 2
Midi Command - Set Loop Stop Point

If this is possible it would be a seriously powerful DJ tool :D

djmuzz

Post by djmuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:00 am

mmmm... i will check out that midi translator thanks! :D

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:09 am

Are you on a pc? This is entirely doable with Bome's Midi Translator. I'm sure there is a macintosh alternative, but I'm not familiar with them. Do a search :lol:

Where's your loop on/loop off button gonna be? hehe

Look into Bome's Midi Translator and do a search. Seriously, you can't go wrong. Heaps of people have posted useful information on how they have configured macros to get multi-functions out of a single button :)
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:10 am

djmuzz wrote:mmmm... i will check out that midi translator thanks! :D
Damn, are you living on this thread? That was fast!

oops, come to think of it, I sorta camped here for a bit too :lol:

Good luck. Post back if you need more advice.
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

djmuzz

Post by djmuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:20 am

Thanks a lot, getting a bit closer to a solution, just one thing, is there a way to automatically show the clip view of each sample as you browse over it? (ie using the mouse, encoder, or keypads as you do)

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:31 am

djmuzz wrote:Thanks a lot, getting a bit closer to a solution, just one thing, is there a way to automatically show the clip view of each sample as you browse over it? (ie using the mouse, encoder, or keypads as you do)
Well, basically, once your little highlighted box "Selector" is on the clip, it will show the clip on the bottom portion of your screen. Unless of course you've got your "Devices n fx" for the track as the selected view. What I have also got are buttons to

a) bring back focus to the session view so that i can resume navigation with my midi directional keys

b) switch between clip view and track device/fx view
The keyboard shortcut you'd want to bind for this is F12

I'm assuming this is what you're after?
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

djmuzz

Post by djmuzz » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:57 am

I see wasnt sure if it automatically shows the sample when you roll over it but it does :oops:

cool so all I need now is to assign navagation buttons (or use the encoders) in the session view to sellect a sample then assign loop start / stop buttons! :P

Shame you can do it to any sample at any time but hey maybe it will pop up in a newer version

Thanks a lot for your help!!! :D

blastique

Post by blastique » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:11 pm

Not a prob :)
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique