using Sound Forge? (Echo driver)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
drb

using Sound Forge? (Echo driver)

Post by drb » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:40 pm

It seems like Live and Sound Forge both want to grab the sound drivers, so I can't use use them both at once If I am using the low latency Echo drivers.
I get an error message in Soundforge and no sound.

If instead LIVE uses the "directx full duplex' driver, then soundforge/waveladb/live will alll work together, but latency too high.

The issue is that the lower latency ECHo WDM driver grabs the audio to itself.

Has anyone gotten this combo to work?

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:10 pm

You won't get it to work- the ASIO and/or WDM drivers aren't multi-client.

You could do what I did- have SF use another driver. Since you're only editing clips and not plasying them back with the project at the same time, latency isn't really an issue. There really isn't any reason to use ASIO or WDM drivers with a wave editor...

ew

blastique

Post by blastique » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:38 pm

drb wrote:It seems like Live and Sound Forge both want to grab the sound drivers, so I can't use use them both at once If I am using the low latency Echo drivers.

If instead LIVE uses the "directx full duplex' driver, then soundforge/waveladb/live will alll work together, but latency too high.

Perhaps give the Asio4all driver a shot?
ewistrand wrote:
There really isn't any reason to use ASIO or WDM drivers with a wave editor...

ew
It's definately useful when you're using Sound Forge's "plug-in chainer" engine that allows realtime use of plugins on audio. While low latency isn't a necessity, it is definately prefered in this scenario :)
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:23 pm

blastique wrote:
drb wrote:It seems like Live and Sound Forge both want to grab the sound drivers, so I can't use use them both at once If I am using the low latency Echo drivers.

Perhaps give the Asio4all driver a shot?
ewistrand wrote:
There really isn't any reason to use ASIO or WDM drivers with a wave editor...

ew
It's definately useful when you're using Sound Forge's "plug-in chainer" engine that allows realtime use of plugins on audio. While low latency isn't a necessity, it is definately prefered in this scenario :)
Yeah, but you're editing and NOT doing anything like playing in realtime on other tracks with it. Latency doesn't make a bit of difference in this case- all it means is that the clip's delayed. Since you're only hearing THAT clip, I don't see where it makes any difference whatsoever. If you use the preview, you'll find out that the clip's delayed by a few ms, but you can still monitor the result.

ew

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:54 pm

open the preferences panel in Live, and in the Audio tab set the soundcard to NONE.

do your thing in Sound Forge then go back to Live and set the plugin as to the Echo.

blastique

Post by blastique » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:52 pm

ewistrand wrote:Yeah, but you're editing and NOT doing anything like playing in realtime on other tracks with it.
Right, but what if the intention is to modify plugin parameters and hear the result IN realtime. I'm not sure how you mean it wouldn't make a difference.

Pretend you're working with a two track pre-master through hardware processing units...

Would it bother you, for example, if you're tweaking your multiband crossover and threshold parameters and it took you half a second to hear the result EACH time?

Quite honestly, that would piss me off beyond belief.

Anyhow, all we know is that drb wishes to use his low latency Echo drivers IN sound forge. I'm just saying that there is in fact a use for low latency in sound forge, even though you may not feel the same way.
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique