Thinking of buying Need advice

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chulio

Thinking of buying Need advice

Post by chulio » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:33 pm

Hi
I am a long time Acid user and now I have a Mac.
I played with the demo and had no problem with the basics in the arranger view. I am not getting the other (session) view.
Can some one give me a quick discription of what it does.

Thanks

Chulio

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:43 pm

the session view is where IT ALL HAPPENS!!! :)

this is where you can play your clips "live" as an instrument so to speak.

if you hit "apple-k" see everything turn yellow? now click on anything that is highlighted - a clip, a fader, an fx parameter -whatever. now hit a key on your qwerty keyboard. that assigns that clip or function to that key. or hit "apple-m" (screen goes blue) and assign anything to MIDI control.
BTW hit apple-m or apple-k again to leave assignment mode.

if you hit Live's record button and then jam around on the keyboard (qwerty or MIDI) Live records EVERYTHING you do onto the arrange page, where you can edit it after the fact with great precision.

you can assign different quantise values to different clips in the lower left corner of the clip view page (double click on any clip loaded into the session view page to bring this up)

Handy Hint: on either of Live's pages, click the triange in the extreme bottom left of your screen - this brings up Info View which explains the function of whatever parameter your cursor key is sitting over.

Live is live!
Life is good!
Amen and Hallelujah!!!

hope this helps

paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

m-laboratories.net

congrats

Post by m-laboratories.net » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:50 am

congrats to Pitch Black for an excellent track on the new Miditation compilation from ceiba records...... did you use live for that one?

Philly is listening :)

Pitch Black

[blush] thanks!

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:07 pm

cheers m-lab!!!

actually that track is 2 years old, and we didn't have Live then backinthaday. it was done in Logic 4 with some additional live dub mixing on an Amek Angela. But boy our new stuff has Live all over it.... and we're getting our heads around moving our live setup to 2 powerbooks running Live.

paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud