Need Help with Laptop Audio Interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
felixboyd

Need Help with Laptop Audio Interface

Post by felixboyd » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:36 pm

My configuration:

Mac g4 Powerbook/867
1 gig ram
OS X.2.3
Live 2.0
Steinberg Audiolink Multiset w/Audiolionk 96 cardbus
Red Sound Voyager 1 generates midi clock

I get randon audio drop-outs on this configuration. What iterface (firewire/USB/PCMCIA) is most recommended when using Live on a Mac powerbook.

Since I'm actually using Live in a performance setting, I need the most stable piece of hardware available.

thank you.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:34 am

fastest speeds are technically PCMCIA, USB 2.0 , then firewire. For audio, best is PCMCIA, then firewire, and then usb 2.0. For a laptop for performance (where you want minimal latency, an presumably flexibility) you can't do any better than PCMCIA, and that doesn't get any better than the RME multiface. Yeah, its pricy, but it is the shit, and the AD/DA converters sound better, and it comes with mixing software that allows you to have 8 seperate out mixes, each totally unique, savable, changable. This makes it awesome for band studio and live usage when coupled with a headphone amp. everyone gets a real-time mix (i.e. sans-soundcard latency and effects) tailored exactly for them. Firewire is okay, but not as fast and reliable as pcmcia, and usb is really not reccomendable for reliablity and limited capabilites.

Ryan