All times are UTC

Post subject: Anyone else using ReMote 25 with Live yet?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:26 am 

If you are please make yourself known as I've got a couple of questions re: transport controls etc.
Cheers,
nik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:12 am 
just got mine. what are you trying to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:03 am 

I dont have the R25. But I would love to hear what you think about it.

C

Post subject: tomorrow!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:16 pm 
tomorrow it arrives, I can't wait....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:42 pm 

hi Muthfunka
just got my remote 25. whadda ya want to know about the transport controls? If I can be so bold as to guess your question.....!!!

the remote 25 transport buttons can be configured to send MIDI machine control start/stop (etc) commands or just plain old MIDI notes. in the brief time that I've been playing with it and Live, I've been setting the buttons to send MIDI notes and do the assigning to Live's transport at the Live end.
... like I say I just got it and am scratching the surface slowly.

post your question and I'll see if I can answer it. [caveat emptor - I'm actually away from the remote 25 for the next 2 weeks, so can't hands on check stuff...but try me]

cheers
paddy

www.paddyfree.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:53 pm 

Hi Muthafunka
This is Quazar from Amsterdam
I just got the Remote 25 and as there was no template for Live in my version (also not on the CD, although the booklet promised one), I started working with the template for the Reason mixer that's one of the memories in the Remote. All you have to do then is assign all the buttons/faders to different parts of Live (eg: first click on the Midi-button in Live, then on the play button in Live and then on the play button of the Remote. it works)
I chose the Reason mixer, cause it was one of the few templates where the faders and transport buttons already were tweaked inside the Remote.

The Remote looks and feels great, but so far I'm not really convinced it's very steady (OS 1 you know how it goes...

:(

for instance: it made Live crash several times
and sometimes stops the communication with the laptop (error message on the Remote NO USB COMMS) after this Live won't start up and freezes the computer, even if I've first quitted the program

not to mention the way it makes my laptop produce glitches sometimes

I have to find out more, cause the whole set up is new:
Sony Vaio AMD 1600 + extra RAM, Remote, Live

Sorry to disturb you, maybe everything is working fine with you, please let me know,
Gert van Veen, Amsterdam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:16 pm 

Hahaha, semi-predicted, but then again I did give you quite a big hint! Yep, it was setting the transport that was stumping me, but simply re-assigning the controls off MMC and onto simple midi notes (I used the very top 4 or 5 to keep them out of the 'playable' range) and using Live's 'learn' function did the trick.
Not fully au fait w/ all the functions/possibilities yet, but just the build and feel of this keyboard...got a feeling I'm gonna be loving this thing lots already!
Quazar...I'm using mine on Mac so no usb driver yet, just simple midi. It is possible to power from the usb bus, but as the manual mentions, there might be situations where some usb ports on laptops cannot provide enough power-might this be causing some problem? I just had a crash in Live in OSX when setting the transport controls up but I'm not sure if it was a Rem25 issue or not as I don't use Live much in OSX yet. Let's keep an eye on it and hope Novation come out with the 'missing' drivers, templates etc soon
Cheers,
nik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:34 pm 

well, in my studio set up I work with a G4 + OS 9.2, but I really hate OMS which never seems to work properly (in my case)
I haven't upgraded yet to OS X (need some time off for that)
but I want to find out anyway if the Remote works better with my Emagic AMT 8

by the way: the Remote couldn't take it's power from the Sony Vaio, the lights went on and off, so I have to use external power anyway..

being among the first people to try out new equipment is exciting but in a lot of cases quite a drag too > especially if you want to make music instead of finding out what's bothering your machines/programmes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:21 am 
what really sucks is that novation don't have any information on their website, just that flash clip as if they haven't even released it yet. look in their product list menu and the remote 25 is not even listed there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:55 am 

QUAZAR wrote:
by the way: the Remote couldn't take it's power from the Sony Vaio, the lights went on and off, so I have to use external power anyway..

Batteries or a powered usb are your friend, tried both here and all's well. It's a big piece of kit to be runniing off one under-powered laptop usb port.
nik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:15 am 
remote out of controll wrote:
what really sucks is that novation don't have any information on their website

They seem to be adding/shifting their domains around... the UK site is so-so, but lots of info on this one:

http://www.novationmusic.com/nov_route/ ... 5_over.htm

enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:41 am 

Hi Y'all

So it turns out that my R25 shipped with an 0.3 operating system. hmmm.

I contacted my local distributor who emailed me docs and an updater which is unfortunately PC only. As I understand it the OS can be sent to the R25 as a standard Midi Sysex file played out of a sequencer. My question is is any kind soul out there able to email me this block of Sysex contained in a Standard Midi File, or even better a Mac Logic 5 or 6 song?

Thanks in advance
paddy

paddyfree@clear.net.nz

www.paddyfree.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:31 pm 

Pitch Black wrote:
Hi Y'all

So it turns out that my R25 shipped with an 0.3 operating system. hmmm.

As in not 1.03 etc..like...0.3? Hahaha, that sucks, wow..seems like they rushed to ship those things before the plastic had cooled. Some of the preset templates are a little messy too ie the Pro-53. Still they're not mechanical faults so it's just a case of reassigning controllers etc...fine by me, I'd rather have the thing sooner than later.
Re:the midi file, check your mail homeboy!!

nik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:29 am 

THX NIK! :D

www.paddyfree.com

Post subject: how
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:58 pm 
how are you guys assigning the remote's faders to the transpose or volume faders in live?

I am quite familiar with midi map, and I can assign all the keys on the remote to clips... But no action when it comes to the faders. How are you guys doing it?

Also, any idea how to check the OS your remote was shipped with? Pitch Black, you've got me wondering which OS mine has too.