All times are UTC

Post subject: hey dont really know anyhting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:57 pm 
hey what sup guys a few things --- im debating weather to get a Dr. Sample with Dr Groove setup, or to go computerized and get Reason or Live ==== which one is more basic, but yet the best out of Reason and live --- and what does everyone mean, you can play your music "live" i dnot get this - thanks alot, peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:21 am 

Reason is not an alternative to Live. They do different things and work very well together. If you want software synths, samplers and drummachines you need Reason. If you have lots of sounds and loops in store and want to make a groove going on you will definately love Live!

A lot of people, like me, use Live and Reason together.

The best way to understand Live is to download the demo and try it. Thats what I did.

Live needs loops and sounds. These can be loop archives, your own recorded stuff or input from Reason. One loop or sound is a 'clip'. The 'Session view' is a matrix of clips which can be played one or many together. You apply effects on the tracks as needed.

To use Live live you can play one or a few loops together, trigged by qwerty keyboard or Midi device, as long as you wish, then go to the next section of your song. Meanwhile you do tweaking on the effects.
This is easy and possible because all loops are autosynced (timestretch) and controled from master tempo. So the live situation is easy enough to allow live tweaking and control of the groove.

But you need to try it.

C

Post subject: hey thanks so much
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:51 pm 
hey dude, thanks so much for the help, im still alittle confused, but i guess i get it. Reason and Live work well together because they do differnt things, that would helpeachother - im still debating weaher to get like a n Akai mpc, or Reason and Live set up - it seems like the mpc would be phatt for making some nice beats, would so would reason and live, but being more complicated to me -- if anyone has advice please help :) thanks again dude, and peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:25 am 

if performing live on real instruments isn't a necessity, and making phat beats and tracks in a more studio environment is, you absolutely cannot do better than Fruity Loops. It has a step sequencer to make great drum tracks, and the new FL studio 4 can record audio as well. It is ridiculously cheap to boot. I have live, reason, sonar, and fruity loops, and for my studio type songs i end up using mostly fruity loops--check it out. Reason has way more synths and sounds (though not all of them are that good), Live is all about live performance and looping live things==these are the strengths of these programs. FL strength is making great drum beats and using vst instruments and recording and editing midi data, it is also great for arranging tunes.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:41 am 

I agree there are good things with FL. I wish I could use it on my mac - (had a PC before) Its good at making drum loops... but that is all and it could never ever compete with Live, in my point of view. I have not used FL studio though and Im sure they have improved some things (shouldnt be too hard)

I have no experience with the MPC though, so I cannot add anything on that.

I understand if you dont get it all by reading posts here, and of course it takes some time to get into the Live/Reason setup. But thats my setup together with a K-Station and I dont miss anything (except Fruity Loops)

If you use a lot of synths and instruments (not software), maybe the MPC is the way. Otherwise I suggest Live and Reason.

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:10 am 

If you're starting out an MPC is the BOMB!! It's super quick, you can have beats up and running in seconds, no computer setup/crashes blah blah to deal with and...it's just nice not to sit in front of a monitor for a while. If you have the built-in effects board there's lots of goodness there too and what's more you can pick up the older MPC 2000 for small $$ these days.
What you have to look at is what YOU want to do and HOW you want to do it. Live is designed to work predominantly with loops etc, but the MPC is the holy grail for those who love to program beats from drum hits etc. Download Live and see what you think, are you into working that way? For sure Live etc are handy when you've finished tracks and want to mix down, burn to cd etc, also, with the MPC you're probably going to be looking at a mixer and some means of recording your tracks.
Reason's great too, but again slightly different from the others.
Me, I use 'em all....
nik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:54 am 
mpc is cool, but if you have or are going to get a computer anyway, you gots to check out ther fruity loops--too me you can just get so much core from your money with software compared to mpc.

ryan