I just copped a new MPC 1000 and......

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:07 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote: 4) The MPC's internal summing??
STRATEGY
mos def...i think the internal mix is really hot to begin with, and when i play multiple sounds at once it gets slightly overdriven.
i think the 'mpc sound' is from the combination of every process used to get sound out. sampling+ad/da+normalizing+mix out+layering sounds on a pad+etc etc = that mpc sound. its all small processes that add up to something people like. one example i've noticed is that i use the spdif out, and with the mpc's out set to 0db i get slight clipping when recording into live. sounds good to me so i just leave it.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:04 pm

I'm still not sure about all this.

I've never had any problem with making quick tight beasts on ableton or logic or reason, so I still can't understand what using external hardware could add.

I would really like to see an mpc's famous swing quantize template in action in a DAW, out of curiosity, and compare with live or Logic's swing quantize. Well I guess you can't import a swing template in Live, but you can in Logic.

Anyone tried?

Really it's just a matter of nudging the even 1/16th notes ahead by the right amount.
Professional Shark Jumper.

C.S.

Post by C.S. » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:43 pm

I would really like to see an mpc's famous swing quantize template in action in a DAW...Anyone tried?
Closet I've seen http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ve&start=0

But you need a PC and EnergyXT.

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:46 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I'm still not sure about all this.

I've never had any problem with making quick tight beasts on ableton or logic or reason, so I still can't understand what using external hardware could add.
i agree on the timing thing. i don't think the mpc has anything special going on with quantizing. the lack of latency though makes it much more in tune with the player's ability when hitting the pads (as opposed to a controller and software), so unquantized you can get a more realistic feel in your rhythms. because of this i think an mpc is almost useless to someone who programs - rather than plays - their beats, as a programmer isn't taking advantage of the mpc's most useful features.
as far as the 'sound' is concerned...like my last post says, i think its just a combination of everything that happens to the sound along the signal path that gives an mpc a certain sound. without a doubt it sounds different than doing the same thing in software...but like anything else its just a matter of personal preference.