All times are UTC

Post subject: LAPTOP ADVICE!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:59 am 
hi folks! I'm thinking about buying a computer laptop , I already have a pc p4 2.4mhz , it works very good , but I need to get a laptop for my dj gigs , I've been thinking about getting a mac , I was told that macs laptops work better for live gigs. now I dont know if I should get an ibook or a powerbook or even reconsider a pc . I'm going to use live and reason , but I want to use more softwares in the future . its ibook powerful enough? ..or I should save more money and buy a powerbook...or should I buy a good pc????.....thx guys..[[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:46 am 
save money, and buy a pc laptop, that way you'll have a more powerful laptop than any powerbook, check out fujitsus their excellent quality and so is their customer service, also sonys, toshibas, and IBMs. save that money you'd spend on a mac, the most powerful one can't compare to pc's and you don't even have to buy top of the line, for instance my 800mhz p3 laptop can kick the butt off of a 1ghz powerbook with no problem. do the research, search for the keyword "laptop" or notebook on this site and you will see what I'm talking about, also get yourself an rme pcmcia audio interface, you'll be able to afford two of them from what you save from not buying a mac and tell your friend who said macs are best for playing live music not to be such a dweeb. computers are just tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:23 am 

Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others
Reason won't care which platform you use, it's just plain out solid and gentle on your CPU.

The Mac version of Live, however, apparently suffers from very poor coding and lack of AltiVec optimisation, so you'll get much more mileage out of a PC - for Live.

Windows is less stable and more difficult to set up than MacOSX, and looks like a toy. MacOSX has much of what you need extra drivers and things for in Windows built in - with many USB audio interfaces, you just plug in and you're running. Same goes for MIDI.

Seeing as you're already a PC user, however, I'd say stick to what you know. If you don't want to run Logic or ProTools or Photoshop or do video editing, just get a PC.

I'm a Mac user, BTW, a very glad and proud one. This does mean that I can't tell you which PC to get :)

/Niklas

Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:16 pm 

yeah dude, get the pc. Excellent advice on the pc + RME. If running on batteries and a little fan noise aren't a problem, you'll get way more bang for buck with a laptop pc with a p4 desktop chipset (as opposed to a mobile or centrino chipset). LIve runs better on pcs, no question. YOu can get a great pc, faster than any mac, plus the RME for less than the price of a mac. I have a toshiba satelite 2430, p4 2.4, xp pro, gig RAM, using RME and an external firewire drive. It is awesome. I'd say toshiba then sony would be the top two choices, but I looked for months and couldn't find a better price/perfomance/quality combination than toshiba. As for the photoshop comment, it works better and faster on pcs--I'm an architecture grad student, and even the most pimped out macs at school can't hang with my laptops (or even the less equipped desktops at school) when using photoshop. And from everything I've heard, OSX is more of a pain than XP will every be, and that is coming from many a mac user I know. Maybe in a few years it will be cool, but for know it is too secure for its own good and causes all kinds of problems for people. Example, i got my computer within a week of a buddy getting his tibook G4 gig RAM mac (six months ago). I have yet to have any major problems, he has wiped his drive and reinstalled everything at least 3 or 4 times now. and who cares what it looks like, Live looks the same on either os, and on xp on a pc, you can literally do mulitple times the amount of tracks and effects that are possible on the best macs.

ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:08 pm 

if you're thinking about getting a mac to use pretty much just for live, don't get a powerbook, get an ibook. live isn't altivec enabled, so it can't take advantage of the g4 chip. you'll save a bundle by getting the ibook. quandry is right. osx blows for any proccessor intensive stuff. the first thing that the cpu sacrifices when things heat up is the screen redraw rate, which will basically freeze your screen if things get to hot. it's lame. i get way way way more out of os9 than osx. if you're thinking mac, an ibook (or two for the price of one decent powerbook) running os9 is the way to go.

everyone is right when they say that you'll get a screaming pc for cheaper than a mac, but my experience with the two is that macs just go with very little fuss involved. sort of a tortise and the hare situation. if you don't mind going slower to save some headaches, macs are great.

of course, who the fuck cares about this stupid topic anymore. everyone swears they've got the god's honest truth about which platform is better. personal experience is the only way to go. buy something, if you hate it, buy the other thing, if not, keep it.

k