Edirol PCR-M30

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
metaforensics

Edirol PCR-M30

Post by metaforensics » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:27 pm

I've read some mixed opinions on here about this controller..Whats yours guys take on it..I already have a radium 61, but want something smaller for giggin..I want to make sure it has faders, knobs, and keys..if you guys have any other suggestions let me know..I personally want something smaller than 61 keys..

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:37 pm

i hove one of them (PCR-M30).
it's pretty good: the dynamic keyboard responds quite well (sooo much better then the edirol i used to have).
8knobs, 8 faders, 9 buttons. that's cool. one of the faders has lost its rubber cap but i can still operate it.
i wouldn't say it's solid as a rock, but it's fine.

blastique

Post by blastique » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:53 pm

It's a very decent little keyboard/controller. It's not too flimsy for gigging at all. The faders are pretty smooth too, although I had a problem with my fader flying off the first time I hooked it up with live, but i think I got a little excited at the time:lol:
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

metaforensics

Post by metaforensics » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 am

Thanks guys..It looks really good..Keep them coming good or bad...

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:47 am

I just recently purchased the Edirol PCR-1 which has an in-built audio interface. I was attracted to it by the very slim design and the ridiculously low price ($126!). Michael Tippach(of Asio4All fame) posted a comment that it sounded more like 12bit instead of the rated 24bit 96Khz. It sounds pretty decent to me though. Has anybody else had an issue with the sound quality on it? I only wish that they would update the PCR Editor software.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

lummux

Post by lummux » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:12 am

I have the PCR-A30, so same controller, but with the audio interface. My biggest problem with Edirol is the lack of driver updates...I don't know about the USB driver for the M30, but for the A30, the last update was july 2004. I think the latency is a bit high, but then it is a USB audio device.

However, as a controller it's great, never had a problem with it. At one gig, it slipped on my stand whilst I was setting up, and slid down the side, ripping two keys off (my fault, rushing to set up). Made for an angry gig...but as I'm drumming that's good. Did a hungover repair the next morning with superglue and a screwdriver, and it's still as responsive as before.

If you get one, I would have a good tug at all the knobs to check that they are firm, if any feel like they are gonna come off, pull them off and superglue them back on. Unless you like crawling around on the floor in clubs looking for small knobs. I knew a girl like that once...

The gig bag is essential, but impossible to get here in the UK. If you are stateside you'll have no problem. I had to pay just as much for postage as the bag!

I don't like they way that the MIDI channel is changed (3 button presses, I want 1)

Never really had a problem with PCR editor, but then I don't use it much. You'll be waiting forever for an update though, Anubis.

hgavin

Re: Edirol PCR-M30

Post by hgavin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:25 am

metaforensics wrote:I've read some mixed opinions on here about this controller..Whats yours guys take on it..I already have a radium 61, but want something smaller for giggin..I want to make sure it has faders, knobs, and keys..if you guys have any other suggestions let me know..I personally want something smaller than 61 keys..
I have one. I don't gig with it, but it's not a bad keyboard for my purposes.

I did have a problem with a key that stopped responding - I took the back off, removed the surrounding few keys and cleaned the contact between the circuit board and the conductive rubber, and it works fine now.

The other thing to be aware of is that the knobs have a centre indentation, which is handy for some stuff, but can cause a fluctuation if you're trying to do smooth sweeps - might be worth considering the impact if you want to gig with it.

Gavin.
All the gear but no idea.

lummux

Post by lummux » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:02 am

Oh another thing that annoys me is about the PCR Editor software, once you have made your memory sets, you have to transfer them using sysex...which is bleedin' annoying for a USB device.

Basically, when you want to upload or download your set, you need to press 5 or 6 buttons to set it off. Given the (relative) sophisticaion of USB, you'd think you could do this automatically. Hell, I can even transfer automatically to my FCB1010 using sysex, and that has no USB at all!

The software does come up with a box to tell you what buttons to press, so there's no need to memorise them, so i guess it's not so bad

metaforensics

Post by metaforensics » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:26 pm

Cool thanks..I basically just want to set up the knobs and slider to the different tracks as volume, and effect controls..Stuff like that and trigger scenes, and clips.Well it looks like I'll probaly be picking on someime soon..I've had a radium 61 for the last 2 years, and feels very cheap, but hasn't giving me a problem..So unless the Edirol is cheaper in build.I don't think I 'll have a problem..

drummond

Post by drummond » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:25 pm

The m30 seems good to me so far...decent amount of faders and stuff, only one of them's lost the rubber cover but still works! Been bashed around a bit but no problem as yet...