choosing a pcmcia soundcard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
*sigh*

choosing a pcmcia soundcard

Post by *sigh* » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:44 pm

as I have been having trouble with my usb interface I've decided to pick up a pcmcia soundcard, probabaly one of either Echo Indigo I/O (stereo and stereo out) or Echo Indigo DJ (two stereo outs).

As far as I can see, if I'm using ASIO4ALL I'll be able to use the onboard soundcard for monitoring and the out on either card for the main mix. So it would be better to have the ECHO Indigo I/O because I'll have a additional in, should I ever require it.

Anybody out there using one of these, or know whether this is the case? I accept that there may be some latency issues with using the ASIO wrapper, but will they be that bad?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:00 pm

I use the DJ and although it is fine I can only say that I am sick of minijacks. I'm going for a 1616m I think.
I'll keep the DJ for real lightweight travel situations, but for performance stresses minijack is not good IMO

sweetjesus

Re: choosing a pcmcia soundcard

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:28 pm

*sigh* wrote:as I have been having trouble with my usb interface I've decided to pick up a pcmcia soundcard, probabaly one of either Echo Indigo I/O (stereo and stereo out) or Echo Indigo DJ (two stereo outs).

As far as I can see, if I'm using ASIO4ALL I'll be able to use the onboard soundcard for monitoring and the out on either card for the main mix. So it would be better to have the ECHO Indigo I/O because I'll have a additional in, should I ever require it.

Anybody out there using one of these, or know whether this is the case? I accept that there may be some latency issues with using the ASIO wrapper, but will they be that bad?
using Asio4all in a live situation is something i personally wouldnt recommend and having it try to sync up your internal soundcard and the echo will give you more headaches in the longrun.

I agree with Angstrom about the 1616m, I really respect EMU and think that they have always had awesome products with something revolutionary in each one of them.

I personally have a Layla24 with PCMCIA card (its temporarily overseas so ive been given a 3G on loan) and found that to be the most straightforward, amazing soundcard I have ever come across... it JUST WORKS.

*sigh*

Post by *sigh* » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:50 am

Thanks for the input, it's always best to have another pair of eyes on a problem.

For instance, for some reason (not having any idea about imperial measurements) I saw the 1/8th jack as 1/4inch and not a 35mm minijack, which I agree is a worry.

Thanks guys

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:16 pm

After a couple years with the Indigos, I think the minijacks are fine.

pua

Post by pua » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:12 pm

I had to return my 1616m, the driver frozed the HP laptop the moment it was installed. Custumer support could not help. So I order a Firebox and it has been working flowlessly.