Does Live Kick B on a centrino?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
twelve

Does Live Kick B on a centrino?

Post by twelve » Fri May 16, 2003 9:42 pm

What kind of performance could one expect on a centrino 1.6 with Live?

Post by Guest » Sat May 17, 2003 6:48 pm

search the forums for my prior posts on centrino--it is optimized for un-plugged battery powered usage, and won't equal the sheer power and speed of a P4 desktop processor. Unless you must record on batteries (or already have the centrino) then don't pay more money for less power. That said, I'm sure it would run well with live, and at least be faster and capable of more than a mac! :wink:

Ryan

jazze

Post by jazze » Sat May 17, 2003 7:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:search the forums for my prior posts on centrino--it is optimized for un-plugged battery powered usage, and won't equal the sheer power and speed of a P4 desktop processor. Unless you must record on batteries (or already have the centrino) then don't pay more money for less power. That said, I'm sure it would run well with live, and at least be faster and capable of more than a mac! :wink:

Ryan
I've noticed that portables with Centrino are looking more slim and well designed that more bulky P4 laptops is this a rule or...?
( you may guess that i sound like a tipical Mac (powerbook G3, iMacG4) user- witch i am :) ) but can't deny really huge gab between macs and ps's CPU perfomance with modern aduo software.
Is there a website on comparisons between P4 and Centrino laptop performance with Audio applications?

12 not looged in

Post by 12 not looged in » Sat May 17, 2003 7:47 pm

not that i can find but it says a 1.6 centrino is equal to a 2.4 P4 and would love to know if this would still get a good performance on Live. i searched the forums and not much is here so far. that said people with a 2.4 P4 seem to get good performance but not sure if this is actually the same as a centrino perfomance. anyone actually have a centrino and used it on live?

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun May 18, 2003 12:02 am

In my 2 + month pc laptop research phase (jan-march 2003), I talked a lot with my little brother that works at gateway in south dakota, who gave me a heads up on the centrino technology coming out. He wasn't sure how it would compare to a desktop P4 processor (which is what is in the laptop I ended up getting--a toshiba satellite 2430), so he got me in touch with an engineer at gateway that actually designs their laptops. He said for my use (AUDIO), the centrino would not offer any advantages other than less weight and bettery battery performance (it is wireless and networking blah blah blah, but that doesn't relate to audio), and to the contrary, it would cost me considerably more for poorer performance. For me it was a no brainer, I could give a rats ass about weight or pretty looks, I carry a 95 pound 4 x 10 bass cab to every gig, not to mention all kinds of other stuff. Same for looks, it could be puke green as long as it has a solid build and name brand parts inside (intel,ti, motorola etc., not the cheapest possible parts like hp and compaq have inside). If you want bang for buck and one of your primary programs is Live, and you don't need to record primarily with batteries with no ac power, the obvious solution is a laptop pc with a P4 desktop processor. If research is done, i can't see how anyone caould arrive at a different conclusion, though there will always be those that just have to pay more for that mac, or more for that 1.7 fewer pounds of pc--I have too much other gear to buy to waste serious flow on stuff that comparatively doesn't help or even hiders performance--but that is just my tightwad, perfectionist, overly logical type "A" opinion.

Peace,

Ryan

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun May 18, 2003 12:27 am

Technical summary on Centrino:

-- http://www.upenn.edu/computing/news/2003/centrino.html

Note that the chipset and processor in Centrino laptops has not been certified for use with Pro Tools. Don't know about the others.

-Alex

get the centrino

Post by get the centrino » Sun May 18, 2003 1:16 am

the new centrino cpu and chipset also represents a significant improvement for audio and multimedia applications. even though the centrino cpu speeds are lower than the P4, the internal cache has been boosted to 1mb and the buss speed is higher. in many real world applications, a 1.6ghz centrino will outperform a P4-2.4ghz. the centrino also incorporates a new method of power management and increases battery life quite a bit - the new ibm centrino laptop lasted 12 hours.

quandry

Post by quandry » Sun May 18, 2003 3:49 am

The engingeer i talked to obviously knew about the buss speed and internal cache differences between P4 and centrino. the internal cache is the major standout figure that is a signifigant difference/advancement from P4 (excluding wireless battery powered blah blah blah). Even with this in mind, and engineer that designs gateway laptops and has been working with centrino for close to a year personally told me that for my application (AUDIO) the P4 desktop processor would be faster and able to handle more. period. If there is any speed to be gained by centrino over a P4, which i think is highly doubtful at this point (though certainly things centrino processor speeds will get higher), it wouldn't be much, and from an economic standpoint, the P4 would definitely win the bang for buck contest.

raapie

my ordered

Post by raapie » Sun May 18, 2003 6:32 am

Hi,

I ordered a Acer TravelMate 800 (with 1.3 gHz Centrino, since the price-difference with the 1.6 model was way too much). If I think about it I will submit my results.

I choose Centrino since it should be the fastest and smartest CPU for a laptop. I don't want an awfully hot and noisy P4-machine. Centrino is much smarter than that ;-)
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Re: my ordered

Post by Guest » Sun May 18, 2003 1:46 pm

raapie wrote:Hi,

I ordered a Acer TravelMate 800 (with 1.3 gHz Centrino, since the price-difference with the 1.6 model was way too much). If I think about it I will submit my results.

I choose Centrino since it should be the fastest and smartest CPU for a laptop. I don't want an awfully hot and noisy P4-machine. Centrino is much smarter than that ;-)
Why "should" centrino be the fastest--that is mere conjecture. It seems like people aren't really trying to hear what that indeed P4s are still faster than centrino, but currently they are.

Ryan

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sun May 18, 2003 9:01 pm

-- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,924640,00.asp

"Frequency doesn't matter so much, as long as the chip design includes big caches and highly accurate branch prediction. The Centrino processor has met or exceeded expectations here, making notebooks based on the Mobile Pentium 4 completely unappealing for almost all practical purposes."

Some more technical links:

-- http://www17.tomshardware.com/mobile/20 ... no-16.html

Less heat means greater long-term reliability, all else the same. The Pentium-M is pretty much the same as the Mobile Pentium 4. Add to that a lower weight and longer battery life, and the Centrino is a clear winner over the older technology.

-Alex

trietnam

Re: my ordered

Post by trietnam » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:13 pm

raapie wrote:Hi,

Can you post some benchmarks with your new laptop running Live? I am in the same boat, and ordered a IBM Thinkpad r40 with a 1.5gig centrino processor. It's still 2 weeks away from shipping, but from what I'm reading on the internet, it sounds like the numbers Intel has been posting are only for business apps. Some even say audio performance sucks with the centrino. This is worrying me.

raapie

no problem

Post by raapie » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:35 pm

let me know which exact test I need to perform and I will add my results to this board
Marco Raaphorst

trietnam

Re: no problem

Post by trietnam » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:10 am

raapie wrote:let me know which exact test I need to perform and I will add my results to this board
Demo files are found in the Live 2.0.3/content folder. Please run Live 2 Demo Arrangement.als.

THanks!

raapie

now I understand

Post by raapie » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:48 am

I used a downloaded version 2.03 since I have version 1.5 on CD_rom and it seems that those downloads are without the demo song...

I will try to find a moment today to install 1.5 again and the move to 2.03
Marco Raaphorst