PLugging in to my computer....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
canoes

PLugging in to my computer....

Post by canoes » Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:35 pm

All right, I dont really know how to ask this, Im a little new to plugging things into my computer. I have a G4 iMac and it has 3 USB slots in back, one is being used with keyboard. I would like to hook up something like a guitar amp or even just a guitar(if that is possible) to my computer. Basically what I want to be able to do it hook up something that has an 1/4" output on it into an input which is a USB input. I am just curious as to what would be the simplest way to do this. Where can I get the right chords for this and what are the right chords? Any feedback would be great. thanks.

canoes

cderum

Post by cderum » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:47 pm

I'm a pc guy--so i really have no business answering your question, but it sounds like you just need a quick, cheap way to get your guitar into your computer via usb; perhaps you can use the imic to give you a line in.

here's a summary i just saw on the web:

iMic
USB Audio Interface

The iMic™ universal audio adapter is a USB device that adds a stereo input and output to your Mac or PC. This allows the connection of virtually any microphone or sound input device to the iBook, Titanium PowerBook, PowerMac or any other Mac or PC with a USB port. Currently shipping, the iMic supports both line and Mic level input as well as line level output for any USB capable computer.

By using USB, the iMic provides significantly superior audio input and output performance over built in audio. The iMic is a must have product for people who are serious about getting high quality audio in or out of their computers. The iMic not only provides amazingly high quality performance but is remarkably inexpensive at a suggested retail price of $35.

Maybe this helps (and the price is nice), but the mac folks will probably have more helpful input. The next step up, of course, is some kind of breakout box.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:38 pm

thank you for the information. I was wondering if you could give me information on a breakout box? I would greatly appreciate it.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:16 pm

Edirol does something with a direct guitar input. You don't want to plug a guitar straight into a mic input, and esp. not a line in. You need something with a high enough impedance to drive your guitar pickups properly. If you have an amp with a decent headphone or line out, the iMic might be good enough for you. I haven't tried it, though, so I don't know anything about latency figures, signal-to-noise ratios or distortion per centages, but seeing as it is a consumer interface rather than pro audio, I doubt they're very good. You might want to look into that Edirol thing - I don't remember what the model is called, though.

-Paws
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.