Congratulations for a great rating in Mac World magazine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Andrew K

Congratulations for a great rating in Mac World magazine

Post by Andrew K » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:33 pm

Ableton,

You guys got a 4.5 out of five in the latest Mac World magazine.... mostly great things to say... the only complaints were: "no index in manual; the interface is sometimes not Mac-like."

You guys rock!!!

... although I do agree with the "index in the manuel" thing.

Andrew K

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:43 pm

what is a "mac-like" interface?

rs

humble pc user

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:45 am

ryansupak wrote:what is a "mac-like" interface?

rs

humble pc user
Yes, even to a humble mac user such as my self it sounds a bit odd.

Andrew K

Post by Andrew K » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:59 am

What they meant was (for example): instead of double clicking on a track name (to rename it) you have to select the track and then use a key command to actually rename the track. Double clicking to rename things is a Mac-like convention that is consistant form one application to the next except Ableton chose to do it differently. My feeling is (and I'm a Mac user) that if that's their biggest complaint along with the index in the manuel, then LIVE is a pretty damn good application.

Andrew K

The Hulk

Post by The Hulk » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:20 pm

Yea, I love the fact that Live exists in only one window. I hate Application clutter and Live has sold this in their interface design!

Agnishvatta

Post by Agnishvatta » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:37 am

One MAC-like UI characteristic is the lack of right-click functionality. This is probably my only gripe about the Live UI. There should be a right-click context menu for those who want to use it or simply allow for other actions when using it. Also, there should be better scroll wheel functionality similar to Cubase SX. These to me, are MAC-like characteristics, but it's been a long time for me so things could've changed on the MAC front.

I'm still wishing for Microsoft to implement dual mouse cursors or a tablet with cursors for each finger.